People letting themselves go once in a relationship.

Page 33 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 5:58 am

sly279 wrote:
myfitnesspal says I should eat 1,910 inorder to loss 2 pounds a week while doing no exercise. I am skeptical of this.

in the past I lost 30 pounds in 3 months by eating 1600 cal spaced out into 4 meals along with 10 mile walks dailyish. I fail to see how eating 300 cal more and doing nothing would cause me to lose weight. isn't the suggested cal intake 2,000?

You have good reason to be skeptical. Don't buy it.

The suggested cal intake is based on a sort of average of what "most" people, and by that I mean people whose work involves some serious physical movin' and shakin', like athletes, construction, picking peaches, etc. REAL work. Sedentary office cubicle call-center kind of work won't even touch 2,000 cal./day.

I use the scare quotes on "most" because most people in the US don't actually do that kind of work. Our biggest national products are "ideas," which are wonderful if all you want to sell domestically is diabetes. We've become ok with letting Chinese peasant laborers do all our work for us somewhere else, and it hasn't done our midsection any favors.

I'm not suggesting globalization or outsourcing are wrong necessarily, btw. I'm hoping to outsource some of my own projects to take advantage of cheaper manufacturing. Ideas are great and Americans are innovative in the business sector. But we're paying a price in physical health. We're paying gym dues and spending 4 hours on the elliptical to do what some of our parents/grandparents did milking cows. Meanwhile, others among us would rather sit on our butts and play video games at taxpayer expense while there's an illegal alien?er?undocumented worker picking oranges for less than minimum wage and supporting his whole family for a year just on that. We're freakin' out because we're fat and just can't admit why exactly that is.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 6:56 am

aussiebloke wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Okay thanks guys I will cut my sodium intake! Thanks!!

I've worked out I need to cut it out fully, now to learn how to adjust my palate for "bland food"
Might buy some liquid smoke to add a savoury smoky flavour to food ?

You could eat things like smoked mackarel or smoked salmon. Those are healthy too.
There is also healthier salt, I have a plastic bottle of salt that only contains 30% salt (NaCl) and 69% kalium salt (KCl). You can also flavor food with onions or garlic or chili peppers, those are healthy foods.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 9:27 am

Don't cut *off* anything, your body needs sodium too.

Consult a nutritionist instead of people here.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I agree people should not completely stop eating salt, but it's in nearly everything so it's almost impossible to not eat enough of it. It's in cheese, sausages, peanuts, cookies, fries, bread, soup, it's in almost every product there is. It's almost impossible not to exceeed the daily recommended amount.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 2:40 pm

AngelRho wrote:
sly279 wrote:
myfitnesspal says I should eat 1,910 inorder to loss 2 pounds a week while doing no exercise. I am skeptical of this.

in the past I lost 30 pounds in 3 months by eating 1600 cal spaced out into 4 meals along with 10 mile walks dailyish. I fail to see how eating 300 cal more and doing nothing would cause me to lose weight. isn't the suggested cal intake 2,000?

The suggested cal intake is based on a sort of average of what "most" people, and by that I mean people whose work involves some serious physical movin' and shakin', like athletes, construction, picking peaches, etc. REAL work. Sedentary office cubicle call-center kind of work won't even touch 2,000 cal./day.

I use the scare quotes on "most" because most people in the US don't actually do that kind of work. Our biggest national products are "ideas," which are wonderful if all you want to sell domestically is diabetes. We've become ok with letting Chinese peasant laborers do all our work for us somewhere else, and it hasn't done our midsection any favors.

I'm not suggesting globalization or outsourcing are wrong necessarily, btw. I'm hoping to outsource some of my own projects to take advantage of cheaper manufacturing. Ideas are great and Americans are innovative in the business sector. But we're paying a price in physical health. We're paying gym dues and spending 4 hours on the elliptical to do what some of our parents/grandparents did milking cows. Meanwhile, others among us would rather sit on our butts and play video games at taxpayer expense while there's an illegal alien?er?undocumented worker picking oranges for less than minimum wage and supporting his whole family for a year just on that. We're freakin' out because we're fat and just can't admit why exactly that is.

well it had selections for sits all day and does nothing, which is what i picked. though I do do crunches/pushups/squats, but didn't feel i fit in the next up level.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 2:59 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Nutritionist isn't bad advice anyway.

I just meant cut sodium by about half for about a week and just see what happens. I've dealt with severe hyponatremia before, having gone for nearly six weeks with no salt whatsoever. Cutting salt for a week isn't going to hurt anything. You can expect some nasty headaches for a couple of days related to a drop in sodium if you cut it completely, but as long as she's still eating a little she's going to get some naturally-occurring sodium and probably won't experience anything severe.

Lately I've been struggling with heart palpitations, had trouble swallowing, and other weirdness, and while not cutting all salt out of my diet, I wasn't looking for it, either. I started adding 1/4 tsp. of iodized salt to just about everything I ate, and those symptoms for the most part went away. I'm guessing it was thyroid and that the iodide and better sodium/potassium balance has mostly got it straightened out.

If she reduces sodium intake for a week, she'll be fine. I'm interested to see if the weight retention has to do with sodium intake and water. If she hasn't lost any weight in, say, about three days, we'll know it has nothing to do with fluid retention and there's likely a different explanation and she should go back to her usual salt intake. Don't load up on it right after cutting it for a few days...just eat normal portions and no more than 1 tsp. salt per day, which is all you should be getting anyway. Sodium/potassium doesn't need help to rebalance, and in extreme circumstances such as mine, extra electrolytes can stop a heart. That's not likely to happen here, especially since she is at least eating a little. I'm pretty confident she's not doing anything dangerous.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 3:07 pm

sly279 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
sly279 wrote:

well it had selections for sits all day and does nothing, which is what i picked. though I do do crunches/pushups/squats, but didn't feel i fit in the next up level.

Well, the 10 mile walks every day is a good thing. I've never gone more than 7.5. If I can ever work back up to running and maybe even doing intervals, I could eventually work up to 10. It's just not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

But you can't eat more, do nothing, and LOSE weight. I normally keep my portions small, walk 1.5 hours for 2.5 miles, and I rarely actually lose weight...and that's fasting two days some weeks. Doing nothing/eating more is not the answer for weight loss

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
The past 7 days there was not a day when I consumed more than 1300 calories. I walked for an hour at least every day. I did two two hours of high intensity cardio.
My weight is exactly the same as a week ago (68,5). WTF.

I found this info helpful
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/why-the ... the-truth/

Quote:
5) Fat loss

Finally we get to fat loss! But it?s not what you think: as you are losing fat the body tends to increase the water content of the adipose tissue (your fat stores).6 When you lose fat you may notice that your fatty areas develop a softer, squishier appearance than before. This is an indication that fat has been lost and your body is storing water. Eventually, the body reduces the water held in the adipose tissue and you may experience the ?whoosh? effect, whereby you see a sudden drop in weight after days (or weeks) of weighing the same.

And of course, behind all of this you are losing actual fat, which will of course affect your weight on the scales but will likely be hidden by all the changes in body water going on until you have lost enough fat to ?outweigh? the water fluctuations.

I definitely have the thing with water mixing with the fat that it talks about and have my weight suddenly drop 4 lbs over night after no loss for ages.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:45 pm

That's pretty much the same kind of info I've gleaned from wikipedia and a few other sites. Yeah, one thing you definitely have to keep in mind is weight can come from different places, and it isn't just all about fat. How your clothes fit is a better indicator than the scale.

I eat the most on Wednesdays, so I tend to wear my "skinny jeans?" Levi's 501 classic fit, 34 waist. Back in the day my mom bought ALL my clothes, and they were always the baggy jeans. Comfortable, fit in the waist, but loose. My previous 501's have been VERY well-worn, even have the end-of-life rip in the right knee. So I figured, hey, new jeans, just like my old ones. Newp?fits tighter than a condom. I know I'm not just HUGE, even though I weigh more than I'd like. But these jeans make me feel all kinds of fat. So at lunch and dinner on Wednesdays I've got big time guilt going on before I take the first bite, and that has really helped me in my psychological war against food. Acute body dysmorphic disorder has its perks! lol

I wish I could wear my new jeans every day just like the old ones and properly break them in, but sadly just as I got my old jeans just right they started falling apart, and I can't afford to keep replacing them. The aversion therapy once or twice a week is working for me, so I'm going with it for now.

At any rate, as long as you aren't GAINING, you should be fine.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 10:34 pm

AngelRho wrote:
sly279 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Well, the 10 mile walks every day is a good thing. I've never gone more than 7.5. If I can ever work back up to running and maybe even doing intervals, I could eventually work up to 10. It's just not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

But you can't eat more, do nothing, and LOSE weight. I normally keep my portions small, walk 1.5 hours for 2.5 miles, and I rarely actually lose weight...and that's fasting two days some weeks. Doing nothing/eating more is not the answer for weight loss

well eating 1900 is less then what i've probably been eating. and i've started doing excercises in my room last few weeks.

I wish I could do the walks again. but it takes 3 hours and left me dead tired. hard to fit in when you work and already feel tired from that. I also have really bad anxiety about going outside alone.

AlexanderDantes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2014, 10:41 pm

Staying lean is about the quality of carbs you have, I can eat 500-600 carbs and keep a six pack and visible arm veins because I eat healthy carbs from oats, natural peanut butter, whole grain rice and potato. Just try to aim for home cooking and stay away from packaged or processed foods.

If you want a treat, you can bake it yourself with far healthier ingredients, try cooking quinoa and turmeric or whole grain rice and lentils.

All of this talk about having less than 100 carbs a day or cutting salt will make you tired and unable to function.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 4:15 pm

I´ve lost 15 pounds so far guys, thanks for all the advice :D

Though I still catch myself obsessing over eating a banana too much or too little. Sounds really pathetic, and it probably is.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 4:42 pm

^ Nice! Do you feel better in general?

I need to lose 5 pounds that I've gained recently ugh

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 4:57 pm

I am probably married without knowing it, I am going to gym much less than before.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 1:06 am

Another thanks to all you guys as I have lost 18 pounds so far and I am at a more than healthy weight again :D

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 3:47 pm

:cheers:

:hail:

Congrats!! !! Good for you!! ! :D