Do you think you can detect an Aspie via text chat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:23 pm

I wonder.

Obviously many of us have very AS ways of typing & communicating on these forums, but I think I've begun to really pick up on slight AS traits of others while chatting online. Just the way they respond to things, or don't, or how they describe themselves - a bunch of little things.

I say this as I've been chatting with someone off and on for the last week and a half and the more I get to know them online the more I noticed little subtle AS traits and it makes me wonder if they are in fact perhaps mildly on the spectrum. I've yet to meet him, so I don't know for sure yet.. but in a way I sorta hope I'm right and that whether he's self aware of these traits or not that he does portray some signs of AS in real life. I have some friends w/ said traits who I really click with well in terms of friends, and I could foresee maybe clicking with someone well on a romantic level if they shared a few similar traits and tendencies.. make sense?

Anyways, I wonder if others of you out there have chatted with someone for a while and then began to pick up on subtle clues that made you think they might just be an Aspie? Or am I maybe just making assumptions & jumping to conclusions? Hmmmm - I think I'm right on the text descriptions of said traits being potentially AS, but I won't know if I'm correct or not for sure until after we've met in person sometime. Definitely curious to find out about that part, too.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 3:53 am

i don't think so; being an aspie is more than vocabluary and choice of words.
i have no problems detecting them in real life, and voice chat also allows some form of detection, but typing only; no, i cannot do that.

well, that is by the way of typing. the actual conversation might allow detection, but that is irrelevant of the medium

Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 7:52 am

I can detect social awkwardness, but not aspie.