What does it mean when a girl offers you a sip of her drink?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 11:17 pm

I (male) have been hanging out a lot with my acquaintances lately in mixed-sex groups, where I talk to girls in the group. Most of it is just that: talking. But a sizable amount of friendly flirting happens too, usually mutual and lighthearted enough to pass for simple joking. A lot of times, we hang out in bars serving craft beers.

I've had situations where I'm sitting next to a girl I'm interested in, and we're talking and flirting a little. In the process, we find ourselves talking about the drinks we got. A number of times, I've had the girl offer me to try a sip of her drink and/or ask for a sip of mine. Especially if I was having something she was intrigued by (like a Manhattan), or if I showed an enthusiastic reaction in what she had (like a chocolate-flavored stout). Now, it doesn't happen out of the blue; it usually happens after we've shared a fun, engaging conversation for a bit of time, with me incorporating PUA tactics here or there.

Does that mean she's romantically interested, or at least open to the idea of being so? Or is she simply very comfortable with me on a friendly level? Because if you think about it, sharing sips from one glass of beer is only a few degrees of separation away from French kissing. Not to mention that it's almost unheard of for two guys in the group to do this. Also, there are girls in the group that I'm on very good terms with, but I know they'd never let me drink from their glass in a million years. Conversely, I've shared drinks with all my past girlfriends.

So does taking sips from each other's drinks mean romantic interest?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jan 2016, 12:03 am

I would assume they were just comfortable with you.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 12:32 am

I second the "comfortable with you" . Sipping from a glass is not anywhere close to French kissing - to me, anyway. I know that I can't drink from a person's glass that I don't know pretty well.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 1:00 am

It probably means she has a great immune system and is fearless in the face of germs!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 1:12 am

It means she's hot for you and wants your body.

Not really.

She wants to see what your drink tastes like?
And it's polite to offer hers in return.
The alcohol content hopefully will kill the germs.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 1:17 am

Raleigh wrote:
It means she's hot for you and wants your body.

Not really.

She wants to see what your drink tastes like?
And it's polite to offer hers in return.
The alcohol content hopefully will kill the germs.

Yes, but only inebriation will it distract you from the cold saliva the other person left behind on your straw. :eew: :-P

Scaevitas
Raven
Raven

11 Jan 2016, 10:06 am

She's comfortable with sharing her Herpes Simplex with you. A modest gesture.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 12:12 pm

She's trying to drug you, sipping your drink to lull you into a false sense of security. Glass her and run.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 12:41 pm

I'd say it means she want you to try her drink; not everything is something that has lines to read in-between.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 1:20 pm

Don't think there's a subtext there, just curiousity and friendliness.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 5:25 pm

This is the most literal clutching at straws thread so far...

I tried to post Marillion's Clutching at Straws for impact, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 8:22 pm

For an aspie support site, the number of sarcastic, outlandish, and dumb-humored replies is just plain ridiculous. More than half are like that. If I weren't a jaded, bitter man who can figure that out, I'd actually believe them. Serious ones that only start out with a joke are OK, though.

Those of you who posted encouraging or honest responses, thank you. I myself thought the drink sharing was just a comfort thing, and possibly trust that I won't interpret it for something more. (Ironic, ain't it?) But hey, a guy can dream. The girls who offered the drinks were usually pretty cute and friendly, so why not. And it's usually girls I just met who do this. Girls who knew me for a long time almost never do, despite respecting me otherwise. I wonder why.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm

I think it's just a natural thing that would come up if you are talking about each other's drinks, to offer to taste them. It's just friendly I would say, not flirty (I would let a woman who was a friend taste my drink say if she'd never had what I ordered before--that would not be flirty of me to do so, and I am a woman).

Also, I would suggest dropping the PUA tactics. Mature confident women will not respond positively to that kind of stuff (like "negging"--if some guy tried this on me in a bar I would just roll my eyes and swivel my stool in the other direction to talk to someone else). So really all it accomplishes is to drive off people you might get along with otherwise. Unless you are specifically looking to date insecure, emotionally manipulative women, because that is the type that would likely respond positively to being negged or any of that other ridiculousness.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 8:35 pm

You have my sympathy - I honestly wouldn't know. I've had romantic interests. Don't recall ever sharing a drink with any of them. I really would not feel comfortable with it. But then I never really liked french kissing, either. Or drinking alcohol.

All I can think to say is to watch if she does it with others in the group. It could be flirty - I wouldn't say it's definitely not flirty - but it could just be how relaxed and friendly she is.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 9:15 pm

wilburforce wrote:
I think it's just a natural thing that would come up if you are talking about each other's drinks, to offer to taste them. It's just friendly I would say, not flirty (I would let a woman who was a friend taste my drink say if she'd never had what I ordered before--that would not be flirty of me to do so, and I am a woman).

Also, I would suggest dropping the PUA tactics. Mature confident women will not respond positively to that kind of stuff (like "negging"--if some guy tried this on me in a bar I would just roll my eyes and swivel my stool in the other direction to talk to someone else).

Well, women tend to put less "body distance" between each other than men do. Heck, French kissing seems to be the new hugging between young women nowadays. So tasting each other's drinks is more "normal" between women friends than between men friends. It's when opposite-sex friends/acquaintances enter the equation is when I start to wonder. Because drink-sharing isn't that far off from French kissing, as far as saliva exchange is concerned.

As for PUA tactics, not all of it is negging and stuff. Some of it is quite positive, such as pretending to act arrogant in an overtly joking way. As well as giving creative but truthful compliments, rather than the usual hair/eyes/dress. It's supposed to show confidence and creativity, which people in general seem to like.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2016, 10:06 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

Also, I would suggest dropping the PUA tactics. Mature confident women will not respond positively to that kind of stuff (like "negging"--if some guy tried this on me in a bar I would just roll my eyes and swivel my stool in the other direction to talk to someone else).

Well, women tend to put less "body distance" between each other than men do. Heck, French kissing seems to be the new hugging between young women nowadays. So tasting each other's drinks is more "normal" between women friends than between men friends. It's when opposite-sex friends/acquaintances enter the equation is when I start to wonder. Because drink-sharing isn't that far off from French kissing, as far as saliva exchange is concerned.

As for PUA tactics, not all of it is negging and stuff. Some of it is quite positive, such as pretending to act arrogant in an overtly joking way. As well as giving creative but truthful compliments, rather than the usual hair/eyes/dress. It's supposed to show confidence and creativity, which people in general seem to like.

But the kind of guys who market that advice are not the sort of guys you should be looking up to, or looking for advice on how to be with other people (especially women). For example, there is a guy named RooshV who self-publishes ebooks full of PUA garbage, and he openly hates women and thinks they are less human than men. He recently got laughed out of my country (Canada) when he tried to do a "tour" here in a couple of cities last year. Why listen to someone like that for advice? Just act like a decent human being and decent women will pick up on that and want to be around you for that reason. Even the guy who wrote that stupid "The Game" book from the Bondi Hipsters skit has since written a book about how misguided his PUA lifestyle was ( What Happens When the Men Who Helped Make a Post-Game World Try to Fix It ).