Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 1:57 pm

Who has had one? I'm asking this because I wouln't mind being in one but my family might be all iffy about it. My point is, love is love and shouldn't depend on race/orientation.
<-------------suppourts gay marriage.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 2:00 pm

Hmm.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 2:24 pm

What do you mean? Skin color? I never know if that refers to cultural backgrounds or skin color. It usually means skin color though, right? But I have been in relationships with people of both different skin tones and cultural backgrounds, so I can say yes to both.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 2:34 pm

Since I'm mixed all of mine have been interracial - they broke the mold when they made me...hehehehe.

Seriously though, I've never dated anyone with my own background. Regarding what dossa said, I've gone out with latinos who were similar in color to me but culturally very different. Caliente comes in every shade. :)

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 2:59 pm

dossa wrote:
What do you mean? Skin color? I never know if that refers to cultural backgrounds or skin color. It usually means skin color though, right? But I have been in relationships with people of both different skin tones and cultural backgrounds, so I can say yes to both.

Both.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2010, 4:24 pm

I've never been in one, but I am a descendant of such unions.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 6:07 pm

All of mine have been. All Asian except for the one I'm currently in -- she's Hispanic (I'm Caucasian).

Families (both yours and theirs) will be weird about it -- no way around it, you just have to deal with it. Eventually they will probably come around.

And yeah, love conquers all. I wasn't into hispanic before my wife, and really had planned to eventually marry another white person like me -- plans change.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 7:24 pm

I'm of mixed race, and I find women from all races attractive, so it's all good in my opinion.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 7:40 pm

We have been married over 10 years--she is a Caucasian NT. I'm a gifted Asian who exhibits strong Aspie traits on a daily basis.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 1:46 am

I'd totally be up for interracial dating. Not that I'd exclude people from my own race, but I feel that interracial dating would be a lot more hot. :wink:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:38 am

I could see myself in an interracial relationship. But I don't see it turning into anything long-term.

I think it depends on what you value. When racial differences translate into cultural differences, mixing races can cause stresses within a relationship. If those are shared values, then it's hardly likely to be a problem. But you also run the risk of alienating friends and/or family when distinctive cross-cultural values interfere with those of their own. It's the same reason we even have de facto segregation despite so many efforts to bring different races together.

Religion, one of my main concerns, also plays a key factor. Some interpreters of the Bible, for example, mistakenly apply certain ancient principles to today's context in which national distinctions are no longer relevant. They will say that mixing races is "against their religion" when, in Christianity, there is no Biblical basis for such dogma.

I'm caucasian, as is my wife. For me, deciding what type of woman meets my criteria for a suitable life-long partner is a personal choice. I chose not to go outside my own race for a very simple reason: I want my children to look like me!

Of course, as good plans often do, this one backfired on me. For most of my life (until recently) I've had raven-black hair while my wife has curly, brown hair. I have greenish-brown eyes, she has brown eyes. Blonde hair runs in the family (my father was blonde, blue-eyed), and it so happens our kids inherited our recessive traits. My daughter looks like she'll always be blonde hair, blue eyes, and I'm afraid I'm just going to have to learn to live with it. But on a positive note, because they DON'T look like me, they've turned out to be really cute-looking kids!! !

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 10:10 am

Being biracial myself and the feeling that I get from people who date interracially is that they're NOT seeing the person they're dating as just another person. They're seeing it as a thrill, a daring act. I had to tell quite a few guys that I wasn't a daggoned, exotic, carnival ride.
I was a human being with emotions and feelings. It was as if they were dating me to spite society's rules. I resolved to just befriend guys, get to know them for a long time, and then begin dating them. Only this way, could I tell if they were dating me because they really liked me for me. My father was white and the mother was black. They married in 1957 and endured terrible hardships because of their interracial marriage. People predominately saw my siblings and myself as children to be pitied and blameless of the terrible abomination of our parents union. Now, we're in 2010 and I still see a great deal of hostility toward mixed couples. It always seems as though if you're in a restaurant, your order gets F'd up, the valet loses your key, they can't find your coat, just general torture if you are on a mixed-race date.
Then, you get the condescending ones that treat you extra special. That's annoying too. Why can't they just leave a couple in peace??! ! If you're dating a different raced person who was born and raised in your country, then there isn't that much cultural difference. Living just outside of Jersey City, I've seen more foreign people in McDonalds than anywhere else. No matter how many ways you say it, a cheeseburger is just what it is...a cheeseburger. If you're American and you want to date another American who is of a different race, it will be more fun if you both resolve to be "Americans" not Asian-american or Italian-american or etc... Culture is far heavier than color and being an "American" should come first. When you have two Americans munching together on quarter pounders with cheese, it can be fun regardless of what they "appear" to be. If you're second, third, fourth generation immigrants, leave the old country behind already!! !! Adopt the red, white and blue into your heart forever. Just be "American" that's why some of us came here in the first place. The one ethnicity I admire the most are the Italian-American men who enlisted during WWII. There were MANY enlistments of these young men who were born here from immigrant parents. They were SO eager to be American. They came here to give NOT to take. I can't stand people who can't assimilate. I think they should go back to where they came from. Sorry, if I offended anyone but that's simply how I feel...and speak English too!! !

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2010, 4:42 pm

I am a product of 2 mixed race parents, and am currently in a relationship with someone of another race than my own. We are perfect for each other, and I am getting used to the stares from other people. We laugh at the condemning looks that we get, because we genuinely don't care! :D

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:36 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I am a product of 2 mixed race parents, and am currently in a relationship with someone of another race than my own. We are perfect for each other, and I am getting used to the stares from other people. We laugh at the condemning looks that we get, because we genuinely don't care! :D

I'm curious -- what race(s) are you, and what of your partner, and what do you think the motive is behind the condemning looks? Also, what part of which country do you live in?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2010, 6:46 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

I'm curious -- what race(s) are you, and what of your partner, and what do you think the motive is behind the condemning looks? Also, what part of which country do you live in?

I am a mixture of Asian, Native American, and African American. My partner is Caucasian. I live in the South, and the motive behind the condemning looks (which mostly come from black women) is that they are miserable and need to get a life of their own. :)

Seriously, I don't know the motive. :?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:15 pm

<-----
<-----
<-----

My girlfriend and I, pictured in my avatar, just celebrated our one year anniversary, I previously dated a different black woman for 6 years and have been involved with other black and Latin women, as well as any number of white women. I didn't plan things that way, it's just how they went for me and I'm perfectly happy with it, racial thrill seeking is just as much of a turnoff for most people as race based discrimination in dating and true openness will pay dividends.

I've never had any problems with friends or family, though my first long term girlfriend had a child hood nanny that disapproved; she was also from the old south and very superstitious, so no one took her very seriously anyway. I also had one public incident with that same girl when we were eating late at night in a diner and a disheveled black man came in and started shouting epitaphs at us, but he was obviously homeless and suffering from some sort of mental disorder and the restaurant staff ejected him pretty quickly, so the whole thing was less racist incident and more impromptu dinner theater...

If I do receive the occasional sidelong look or hostile glance, I generally don't pay them any mind, I put them in the same category that I would common jealousy if I was wearing a nice watch or tailored suit; not even worth getting bothered over. At least in my area restaurant service and whatnot has never been a problem if for no other reason that even an accusation of racial bias would likely get a waiter fired and impact his tip regardless, and even racists have to pay the bills.