Do people with Asperger's never get married or have kids?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 9:51 pm

If you don't want to get married and have kids, there is nothing that is stopping you. It is a free country. But I believe someone with Asperger's can get married and have kids. I am an Aspie and have been married around 45 years with 2 children and 4 grandchildren. My wife is an NT, an extreme extrovert. It works. Matching an introvert and an extrovert personality blends together. My strengths balance her weaknesses and vice versa. It is like yin and yang.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2018, 10:38 pm

Another married father of three here. Second marriage for me. First was a disaster for many reasons. This one thankfully will be mutually "until death do us part".

My wife is NT but shy and she needs a lot of alone time like I do. When the kids are in bed, we scatter to "our corners" to recharge from the day, etc. We still communicate of course but probably a lot less than is typical. 17 years strong.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 3:43 pm

They do.

My mom did. My older brother did.

But neither of them knew about AS at the time. The English speaking world didn’t even know when my mom got married and had kids.

JoeyFlash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2018, 7:49 pm

I don't feel the same way. I look forward to marrying a loving woman and raising my children on a ranch in the countryside. I used to think I didn't like kids, but then I got new cousins that are 4 yrs, 2 yrs, 3 months, and a 2 month old nephew and interacting with them comes quite naturally to me.

Who's there?

Matthew.

Matthew who?

Math you couldn't do unless you had an IQ of 184.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2018, 5:54 pm

I've been married for 26 years, and we have two children. I think having them nine years apart was immensely beneficial for me, though not planned, as ONE child was very disruptive all on his own. I don't think I could have managed two little ones at the same time.

I love my boys more than I can say, but the challenges were significant.

disconnected412
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2018, 6:30 pm

I’m married too, with two daughters.