Do people with Asperger's never get married or have kids?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2016, 12:41 pm

I am a 22 year old male aspie, almost 23, and I don't ever see myself getting married or having kids. I have never been in a relationship before and I just couldn't take on the stress of being a parent and a spouse. I don't want kids or a wife. All I would like to have are friends which I struggle with finding. I have very poor social skills like other people with Asperger's so it is hard for me to do any kind of relationship. I feel lonely most of the time. I do enjoy being alone a lot of the time, but there are times when it would be nice to have someone to do things with. I couldn't do marriage or raising kids because I do need my alone time. Anyone who knows me knows that marriage or kids will never happen with me. Do other aspies feel this way?

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

Many aspies feel like this. Understandibly, because marriage and kids are a heck of a responsibility. Aspies generally need quite alot of alone time. Tbh, I don't know if I want to have kids in the future. However, I would like to be married or at least have a steady partner to live together with. The idea of growing old alone really, really frightens me. I would just feel terribly lonely.

crs927
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

I feel this way a lot, and I'm not even aspie.

Eveladrys
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2016, 4:26 pm

My husband and I both have aspergers and we both get the others needs. He always said he never thought he would find someone and be alone but we found each other and have rarely gone a day without seeing each other since we meet. Neither of us want kids so I think having that in common too is important. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Mar 2016, 7:54 pm

I think most of the Aspies who don't want romantic relationships would not be in this section. I don't want kids but I do want to marry my girlfriend but we're both disabled & it'll screw up our benefits rite now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 9:54 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think most of the Aspies who don't want romantic relationships would not be in this section. I don't want kids but I do want to marry my girlfriend but we're both disabled & it'll screw up our benefits rite now.

Since you love the girl who played in iCarly, do you know she back on tv?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:02 pm

I'm 45 & never been interested in marriage & I don't wants kids, I'm having trouble taking care of my cat.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:17 pm

> "Do People With Asperger's Never Get Married Or Have Kids?"

I haven't yet, but I certainly would like to. :D

There Are Four Lights!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 10:25 pm

There are plenty of people out there with it who have gotten married and had kids.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm

I am 99% certain that I could have received an Asperger's diagnosis in my teens or twenties, were such a thing available, and if I'm subclinical now it's no doubt partially thanks to the influence of the wonderful woman I met in my mid-thirties. We have been married for nearly 13 very happy years and have two kids.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Mar 2016, 11:12 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Since you love the girl who played in iCarly, do you know she back on tv?
Yep. I watched the hour sneak peek of Crowded Tuesday & I watched the premier earlier tonight. It's funny.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 6:11 am

women have to learn to deal with us. we are discriminated.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 6:32 am

I most certainly have no plans to start a family.

I'd make a crappy husband... and an even crappier father...

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:06 am

Neurodiverse people are just as likely as NTs to be married and have kids. It's less common for those that are diagnosed, but that's because of the problems they get diagnosed for, and not because they are different.

Also, alone time is not a big problem if you just find a suitable partner. If you get kids, alone time will be hard to find when they are really small, but when they get older it works again.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:19 am

Natural and sexual selection certainly don't favor them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm

I am in a long term relationship for the time being, but yeah I don't want to have any kids for one I am just not interested and I don't think I could adequately take care of a child ...luckily my boyfriend doesn't want any either.