EHarmony actually seems decent

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:10 pm

After a long time of avoiding paid dating sites like the plague, I decided to give eharmony a shot. I figured that the site specifically caters to people who are looking for a more serious relationship (and the fact that it's paid means that the people will be serious), and I was getting tired of all the people on OkCupid who only wanted to date casually or short-term. Anyways, I wasn't expecting much from it, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Now, I haven't met anyone from the site yet (although that will soon change), but since joining I've basically been smothered with women contacting me...and all of them appear to be really good matches. On OkCupid/POF, I can count on one hand the number of times a halfway-decent match initiated contact with me, but I've had over 12 women (all of whom seem to have quite a bit in common with me) initiate in the past week alone on eharmony. I haven't even initiated contact with a single person yet. I suppose I know how women on dating sites feel now...it's flattering, but also pretty overwhelming to keep track of it all and find the time to write halfway decent responses to them.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share for anyone considering a paid site, I really think that there might be something to it. I notice a pretty apparent shift in the demographic of the people on the site, which is probably a large part of it. With that said, the layout of the site is absolutely atrocious, and it doesn't give much room to put much of a personal touch on anything.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:17 pm

i think men get more attention on paid sites cause it shows if they can afford the 20-50 a month that they have a decent job. I also imagine theres less men to women on paid sites. but just geussing. also be careful of fake users. I hear paid sites do that to make it seem like theres tons of women into you so you pay more and more.

as for eharm, they told me i was matchless but could still pay them anyways . yeah no thanks.

glad you are having more luck though, hope it works out.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:40 pm

Well keep us updated. I've thought about joining a paid site as the free ones don't work, but am reluctant to pay so much with no guarantees.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 8:17 pm

sly279 wrote:
as for eharm, they told me i was matchless but could still pay them anyways . yeah no thanks.

Yeah, same. "Just as you suspected, there really aren't many people at all who would be compatible with your weird personality type and needs, and none who are using this service. But hey you never know, someone like that might join up tomorrow, so keep paying us just in case!"

I think it is probably a pretty good site for people looking for an average sort of partner. As in, someone not straying too far from the norm.

Interestingly, in their TV ads over here, almost none of the people talking about how much they love the site have actually found a partner through it. One even says "I haven't found my match yet, but I'm sure he's on eHarmony!". I find it odd advertising. Why don't they use actual success stories?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm

Halfmadgenius wrote:
Well keep us updated. I've thought about joining a paid site as the free ones don't work, but am reluctant to pay so much with no guarantees.

That was the main reason I was hesitant - they make you commit to a fairly lengthy subscription with no real clue as to whether there are decent matches near you. You can browse people in your area for free, but you can't see their pictures. The site appears to offer special deals very frequently...I got a year for like $7 a month (it was way longer of a subscription than I wanted, but the total price for a year was actually cheaper than their total price for 2-3 months.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 11:03 pm

I joined eHarmony, but I haven't been able to afford a paid membership yet ( partly my own fault as I bought some Amiibo and got a little carried away on Flirt4Free...and next paycheck I'm getting a New 3DS XL ). It's pretty expensive, at least to me....and you have to agree to at least a 3 month membership. I'm a bit wary of paying to get rejected...plus, nobody ever initiates contact with me. It's always up to me to initiate apparently, which is ridiculously hard for me unless the conversation is about video games or a particular TV show ( which, by my experience, tends to get me ignored ). In fact, in the last 3 years I've tried multiple dating sites and only ever got 1 response...and that sole reply was to say "not interested". I thought I found someone on eHarmony and messaged her during the free weekend over V-day....no reply :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Feb 2015, 1:58 am

E told me they didn't have a match for me & wouldn't even let me join. That was years ago thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 6:52 am

newageretrohippie wrote:
I joined eHarmony, but I haven't been able to afford a paid membership yet ( partly my own fault as I bought some Amiibo and got a little carried away on Flirt4Free...and next paycheck I'm getting a New 3DS XL ). It's pretty expensive, at least to me....and you have to agree to at least a 3 month membership. I'm a bit wary of paying to get rejected...plus, nobody ever initiates contact with me. It's always up to me to initiate apparently, which is ridiculously hard for me unless the conversation is about video games or a particular TV show ( which, by my experience, tends to get me ignored ). In fact, in the last 3 years I've tried multiple dating sites and only ever got 1 response...and that sole reply was to say "not interested". I thought I found someone on eHarmony and messaged her during the free weekend over V-day....no reply :(

You won't get a reply on those free weekends, since no one will be able to see your pictures. If you're not getting any responses, then there are four things that you need to change. It may be one or all four, depending on the reason for the lack of response: get better/more interesting pictures, write better messages, rewrite your profile, or work on improving yourself and your personal life. It's normal not to get many responses (I hear many guys say that they only get 1/10 messages responded to), but if you're getting no responses then you have to take a hard look at what you're doing and make some changes.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:16 am

Not a huge fan of online dating in general, but I met my current GF there and the last one as well. It is nice in that I actually got plenty of women initiate contact with me. Granted most were very ambivalent about being in a relationship but at least I got many enjoyable first dates. The nicest thing of all is that one date actually showed me her matches and it appears there are almost double the women compared to men (and my competition wasn't too strong!). If I remember I had an incredible 11 women contact me in the first week and yes, at least 6 were real flesh and blood humans I dated.

The nice thing about eHarmony is their guided communication process. Makes women feel safer and takes the awkward pressure of sending an appropriate message. They are a shady company but are only the best for marriage/commitment minded men and women by a long shot.

One final thing I should note is that my current GF was a "flex" match who did not meet my age requirements. I gave her a chance as she is significantly older and am I glad I did. She has practically no baggage, has the same life goals and even got IDed at the bar so it wasn't just my imagination.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2015, 10:52 am

I don't think I could ever do a dating site. I have to be friends with a guy before I can fall for him, and meeting up for the first time with the intention to date seems too pressure-some for me.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2015, 6:05 pm

I had no luck with online sites. mainly fake profiles or really bad matches. I think OK cupid banned me for no reason cos after a few days I got a message saying tech difficulties, i rejoined from a friends computer and same thing after a few days, weird. I haven't tried E harmony yet as I'm still very dubious of dating sites especially after I saw the tv doc about them putting up fake profiles and fake matches to get you to join up and pay.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:41 am

andyfzr wrote:
I had no luck with online sites. mainly fake profiles or really bad matches. I think OK cupid banned me for no reason cos after a few days I got a message saying tech difficulties, i rejoined from a friends computer and same thing after a few days, weird. I haven't tried E harmony yet as I'm still very dubious of dating sites especially after I saw the tv doc about them putting up fake profiles and fake matches to get you to join up and pay.

One thing I can say about eHarmony (and I have A LOT of bad things to say) is that I have zero evidence they use fake profiles of any kind. I know because I have either met on a date, through school/work or remember seeing in public (thanks to my Aspie memory) at least half of my matches. The one complaint I have is that my ex and her two friends are matches..... and they gave up a long time ago. Some of them SEEMED like fake matches (especially since they said the same things about travel almost word for word) but I can verify they are real and as they present themselves.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:05 am

I've had the worst luck with eharmony. I've had better luck with other dating sites. I think after years of paying I only had about one conversation. I thought at the time this was because all of the girls I was matched with were non-payers so they couldn't message me back.

BillCaul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2016, 6:33 am

Hm. I dont trust free dating services at all. It is easy for girl to register so it is easy to create a fake. I prefer to use paid one service. BEcause i`m sure that the girl who I`m talking to is real and i will be not a victim of scam. By the way I already met three girl from that site so i guess soon i will find a lady for my soul. You can try also, i think you will be glad with stuff and seriousity of that service.
Of, here it is: qps.ru/x3AZE

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 6:42 am

Don't be so naive Stargazer43, those can be mercs hired by E-harmony.

Don't assume things too fast before actually meeting them.

Quote:
I suppose I know how women on dating sites feel now...it's flattering, but also pretty overwhelming to keep track of it all and find the time to write halfway decent responses to them.

It's still way better than not to be contacted at all, don't kid yourself.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 7:13 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's still way better than not to be contacted at all, don't kid yourself.
How can you be so sure? Being contacted could be the first step towards disappointment.