Autism in Love - the documentary

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2016, 9:45 pm

Has anyone else here seen this movie? I just saw it on Netflix today.

It has me thinking a lot about how I must present to my partners in relationships in the past and what makes it so difficult for me to find anyone today. I've tried the online dating site thing and it doesn't seem to work for me. Not sure what is or what will. I felt like I could relate to most the persons, but not as much as the guy from St. Paul. I won't give any spoilers, but what are anyone else's thoughts after watching Autism in Love?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 10:27 pm

I've seen it and I quite like it. I have very little experience with dating, and I do need to get better at some point.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2016, 2:19 pm

I really liked it -- the range of portrayals, the style. It was very heart-affecting to see those with difficulties with relationships and those who found their partners.

What struck me is how much understanding and acceptance there was in the relationships that worked. I guess those two are prerequisites for any healthy relationship, but I'm not sure if online dating (or dating in general) focuses on that.

Lockeye wrote:
I felt like I could relate to most the persons, but not as much as the guy from St. Paul. I won't give any spoilers, but what are anyone else's thoughts after watching Autism in Love?

Do you mean you could not relate to that person (Stephen) or that you could especially relate to him?

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2016, 3:46 pm

I realize now that my reply on Stephen sounds ambiguous. I meant to say I don't relate to him as much in the documentary, but the kind of pain he had to go through, I can relate to.

Anngables
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 4:45 pm

I've seen it found it very moving. Certainly dispels the myth that aspires don't feel emotions . . .. .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 4:49 pm

My mom wanted me to watch it, but I haven't...may perhaps check it out though. But I am in a good relationship so not sure I'd really learn anything from it but may be interesting.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 5:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
My mom wanted me to watch it, but I haven't...may perhaps check it out though. But I am in a good relationship so not sure I'd really learn anything from it but may be interesting.

It did focus a bit on existing relationships too. One of the people there was already in a relationship.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2016, 6:05 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
It did focus a bit on existing relationships too. One of the people there was already in a relationship.

The autistic couple met each other at an autism convention. It makes me think that my chances of meeting someone for a relationship in the future might come down to like-minded gathering places. So far, it's been very difficult where I live, I think because the cost of living here forces a lot of autistics to live elsewhere.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 10:31 pm

I haven't seen it, but hope to eventually. It sounds interesting.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 5:04 am

I had viewed the film, via 'Independent Lens', on PBS. I found the relationship between Lindsay and Dave, to be incredibly heart-warming and inspiring. I think it would be wonderful to be in such a relationship, and to be accepted in such a tender way, regardless of the quirks and insecurities I possess (although, I know it could become quite challenging). I adored the end, and watching them as he proposed. I thought it was so beautiful. Her reaction reminded me of myself, when I become overwhelmed with happiness or joy of any kind. I think the director did a wonderful job of capturing and bringing to light, various subtleties, particularly in Lindsay, but, in all four characters. I enjoyed the film, very much.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 12:38 am

I haven't seen it but did read a review of it on salon.com. Found that interesting. Sounds like the main character has many of the same problems I did in adolescence and young adulthood. It is nice to know you are not unique or alone.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2016, 3:34 pm

I watched it Sunday night and greatly enjoyed it :) Aside from the fact that I've graduated college, never been to a prostitute, or have never been in a mental hospital, I identify with Lenny in all other respects :P

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2016, 8:25 pm

I liked the movie too, I'm glad somebody brought it up.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 9:46 am

mikeman7918 wrote:

Actually, they were all in relationships except for Lenny, who we meet first. Stephen's wife, Gita, doesn't have autism though, but she does say she has a learning disability.

I liked the documentary a lot, but I felt bad because most of the things Lenny said made me laugh out loud.