Page 6 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:12 am

hurtloam wrote:
rdos that list makes it look like all non-NTs are asexual and don't like to go on traditional dates.

No, the relevance for asexual (or rather for bonding with sex) is only around .3, which is significant but not highly. The relevance for not enjoying dating is very high though, and in pair with many traits used to diagnose ASD.

However, one should note that the ND traits have far higher relevance than the NT traits, which can be explained by the fact that many of these traits are considered musts in Western culture, so there is a strong pressure to adapt to them, which people obviously do to since their relevance is lower.

Also, the NT traits nicely sums up how NTs (and our culture) think about relationships: They are extensions to people's social life, the social compatibility of their partners is important, attractiveness is important, and NT people like to travel with their partners. Additionally, bonding happens with sex and intimacy. That's all fine for people that work like that.

hurtloam wrote:
Do all aspies have odd hair? Do all NTs have perfect hair?

That's an odd trait yes, and the only physical trait I've been able to link to neurodiversity. Still, it's passed the test in several different datasets, and it always ends up at p < .0001 that it is relevant. Maybe this is something for diagnosing ASD in infants? :mrgreen:

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 2:15 am

hurtloam wrote:
Nope. I'm out this is going round in circles. We'll have to agree to disagree rdos

What are we disagreeing on?? :wink:

In order to agree to disagree we need to understand each others arguments, otherwise it's just a tactic to get out of a discussion claiming you are right but don't want to discuss it.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 5:19 am

rdos wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
rdos that list makes it look like all non-NTs are asexual and don't like to go on traditional dates.

Do all aspies have odd hair? Do all NTs have perfect hair?

This just gets more surreal.

I don't like the idea of meeting up with strangers from a dating site, but I don't mind going on a date with someone I know and talking over coffee. That has helped me work out whether I want to take things further or not with men. That makes me NT does it? Oh well. Please inform my Mother of this. She will laugh and laugh

Hahaha I agree with you here. Some of those criteria would suggest I'm NT. Despite the fact I refuse to sit at the desk my mum bought me because the draws are on the wrong side

Note that this is not the traits that define NT vs ND, it's specifically relationship traits that are linked to the ND and NT neurotypes. Thus, it's perfectly possible to be diagnosed ASD, and even being a classic Aspie, without having these traits (even if it is less common). So, if you can identify better with the NT relationship traits than the ND relationship traits, then you should go for guys that are NT in the relationship area. Which you apparently did too, at least according to your own claims. However, then you shouldn't really give advice to other NDs that are not like you romantically and claiming you work like them because you are super-Aspie and have a mom involved in autistic children. That's all irrelevant.

You are so very rude it is unbelievable. Don't you dare tell me what to do and not do and then take the mick out of me.

I give advice because I want to help to help people because I aspergers and struggled to find a relationship because of it.

Do you understand how rude it is to call someones point irrelevant just because you want to be right.

There is a reason there is a 'spectrum' because aspies can present differently. I don't expect NTs to know that but I expect you as and ND to know that. It is well known that female aspies present differently to males

I am not NT just because Im not asexual and like to be courted. I have suffered alot being an ND in both life and relationships and you make it seem like I haven't any issues and that I think I'm perfect.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 8:49 am

Alliekit wrote:
You are so very rude it is unbelievable. Don't you dare tell me what to do and not do and then take the mick out of me.

I give advice because I want to help to help people because I aspergers and struggled to find a relationship because of it.

:roll:

First, you claim the ND relationship traits didn't fit with you, and that the NT relationships traits does fit you, and now I'm rude for accepting your claims. Next, you once again claim that because you have Aspergers and have struggled to find relationships, that would make you an authority on NDs that doesn't work like you and that you don't even seem to understand how they work. That's pretty illogical to me.

Alliekit wrote:
Do you understand how rude it is to call someones point irrelevant just because you want to be right.

I think I called your point irrelevant because you claimed you DID NOT fit with the ND traits.

Alliekit wrote:
I am not NT just because Im not asexual and like to be courted. I have suffered alot being an ND in both life and relationships and you make it seem like I haven't any issues and that I think I'm perfect.

Never said you were. You are NT in the relationship area if you enjoy dating and bond with sex.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 9:50 am

rdos wrote:
Alliekit wrote:

:roll:

First, you claim the ND relationship traits didn't fit with you, and that the NT relationships traits does fit you, and now I'm rude for accepting your claims. Next, you once again claim that because you have Aspergers and have struggled to find relationships, that would make you an authority on NDs that doesn't work like you and that you don't even seem to understand how they work. That's pretty illogical to me.

Alliekit wrote:

I think I called your point irrelevant because you claimed you DID NOT fit with the ND traits.

Alliekit wrote:

Never said you were. You are NT in the relationship area if you enjoy dating and bond with sex.

Look I never claimed to be an authority on NDs. I was just expressing my own experiences in the hope they would help others.

We don't bond with sex, that makes it sound like it's the only thing we have.

We bond through intelligent discussions, joined interests and because we enjoy each others company. Sex if a fantastic part of it but it is by far not the most important thing.

Like hurtloam said I guess we have to agree to disagree

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 2:50 am

rdos wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Nope. I'm out this is going round in circles. We'll have to agree to disagree rdos

What are we disagreeing on?? :wink:

In order to agree to disagree we need to understand each others arguments, otherwise it's just a tactic to get out of a discussion claiming you are right but don't want to discuss it.

We asked for a list of what you thought NDs are and you gave us a bizarre point system that we didn't understand and then berated us for not being mind readers who understood your bizarre method of communicating your list.

I can't argue a point with someone who can't form a proper argument for me to counteract.

Sure claim the moral high ground. Pretend your argument was too good for me to respond to.

But you are right about one thing. We can't actually agree to disagree because I still have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

I'm not bowing out because I think I'm right I'm bowing out because your communication style is frustrating and difficult to understand. I no longer care who is right and wrong.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 3:39 am

Yesterday I pondered on writing a long answer, but I've changed my mind. I don't feel it's worth the effort anymore, so I'm bowing out too.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 3:43 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:
Research shows men SAY they like intelligent women, but in fact they do not.

Most intelligent women I know married their college boyfriends. There are of course a few exceptions, but it is never because the girl is intelligent.