Physical Attractiveness - Nature vs Nurture

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 9:42 pm

I'm curious as to the extent a person's physical attractiveness is influenced by genetics, as opposed to more exterior/malleable factors like style, fitness etc. Does either one play more of a role than the other? To what degree can a naturally unattractive person become attractive? To what degree can a naturally attractive person become unattractive?

What are your thoughts?

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 2:37 am

Those blessed in the genetic apartment will have a natural increase in overall attractiveness, but good genetics means nothing if one does not use said genetics to their full potential.

Those with poor genetics regarding attractiveness must do all they can in other areas to increase their attractiveness.

I've certainly (to an extent) got the genetic sh*t end of the genetic sh*t stick, but mainly regarding health, not looks.

My diet and lifestyle should combat the psoriasis, dermatitis and type-2 diabetes prevalent in my families gene pool, but naturally I am always pissed at the fact I must suffer the consequences for my ancestors poor diets and lifestyles that is on-going today.

Lookswise I'm average but still feel the jealousy of observing males with more symmetrical faces and more masculine facial features find more success.

I think almost all attractiveness is simply influenced by what is considered biologically healthy and signs of fertility.

You can argue "But fat women were considered attractive in medieval Europe!" but that's because most people in those times were extremely thin due to starvation and nutritional deficiency.

Being overweight in those times was seen as a sign of wealth and even health, as access to enough food would ensure a lack of nutritional deficiency.

Now of course it has gone the opposite direction as most people in most nations have access to health to a point where they can be thin without being underweight or undernourished, and most overweight or obese people today appear to eat the wrong foods anyway resulting and have poor lifestyles resulting in too much sugar, fats, salts, etc. and not enough important nutrients such as vitamins, protein, and fibre.

Keep your chin up and good luck, TGI.

Continue trying to improve yourself and I'm sure you'll see results eventually.

Just don't do it for the sake of attracting women but increasing your own confidence and self-esteem as well and overally being healthier. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:41 am

The simple answer: Both.

One must take it on a case-by-case basis.

One could be born "gorgeous."

One could be born "ugly."

One could make his/her self "gorgeous."

One could make his/her self "ugly.'

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:48 am

Beautiful:

Ugly:

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:49 am

I think it is mostly nature.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 5:59 am

But the post-birth environment could enhance the nature.

And can also screw up the nature.

It's both---definitely.

What percentage nature, and what percentage nurture, depends on the individual and his/her circumstances.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:46 am

Can bad genes hinder or even prevent build of muscle in some males?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 2:57 pm

It's a difficult question as environmental factors can actually alter your genetics and like wise genetic factors can impact the response to environmental factors.

There is no definite nature and no definite nurture.

^there are genetic conditions the prevent muscle growth. Also depending on your genes it could be easier or harder. Should still be possible though unless you have the condition that prevents growth

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm

Me personally, I care much more about personality than looks in women. A basic level of attractiveness is needed but beyond that, I don't care that much. But not all of society, unfortunately, is the same way.

Being a 9/10 or 10/10 is mostly genetic lottery, but I think that most people can become a 6, 7 or 8 with good fitness, hygiene, haircut, wardrobe, etc. Some people are simply cursed, but I'd say the majority of people are better looking than they give themselves credit for.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:13 pm

Precisely.

Most people aren't actually that bad looking.

Average isn't a 5 out of 10, I consider 6.5/7 to be average.

Most people with average hygiene and health and fitness level look decent. Those with slightly above average health, fitness and hygiene? Even better.

From the pictures Grand Inquisitor posted in the past, he's average - and that's NOT a bad thing.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2016, 11:27 pm

A lot of it does depend on environment. A size 8 woman would be chubby in southern California but average or skinny in most other places. A chubby guy with good features would have horrible luck with online dating, but lots of luck in real life social circles.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:40 pm

I dunno. Every time I look in the mirror I just see a disgusting freak that women see as vile and repulsive staring back at me. Sure, I can try chiseling my body to look a certain way, but it's still the same body. There's only so much I can do with it.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Beautiful:

Ugly:

To be fair, that dude has a sort of nice edgy look to him. Maybe with some better lighting, a nice smile would do some good.

Not exactly beautiful, but he is...kind of handsome.

Meanwhile, women like her fall under the over-makeuped photoshopped category which makes them look fake and unnatural.

Just my thoughts, but yeah, by 'societies' standards your two captions would be the other way around.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 6:24 am

Outrider wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Beautiful:

Ugly:

To be fair, that dude has a sort of nice edgy look to him. Maybe with some better lighting, a nice smile would do some good.

Not exactly beautiful, but he is...kind of handsome.

Meanwhile, women like her fall under the over-makeuped photoshopped category which makes them look fake and unnatural.

Just my thoughts, but yeah, by 'societies' standards your two captions would be the other way around.

Looking at this photo I can't help but thing she looks so perfect it's unnatural and starts to become not attractive.

I spose I would feel fake on the outside fake on the inside.

The guys however seems like he has a story to tell. He looks like someone who has lived

traven
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 6:31 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 7:59 am

The guy looks like a cross between Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten.

But it doesn't matter. He's not exactly atrocious-looking. If he's charming and amiable, I think he can get the ladies rather easily.

I don't tend to like women who wear too much makeup.