Issues with the my girls parents

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Wraithshroud
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2016, 11:01 pm

I got 75 dollars worth of gift cards to 3 different restaurants for my birthday. I don't really like going out to eat. I keep thinking what I can buy for 75 dollars. My girl doesn't have aspergers or any other mental issues. She doesn't understand why I'm upset. She feels offended that I don't like her parents gift. I don't understand why she is getting so emotional about a gift card. I told her that if I gave her a machete for her birthday what would she do. She said give it back. But Its not the same.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 1:33 am

Wraithshroud wrote:
I got 75 dollars worth of gift cards to 3 different restaurants for my birthday. I don't really like going out to eat. I keep thinking what I can buy for 75 dollars. My girl doesn't have aspergers or any other mental issues. She doesn't understand why I'm upset. She feels offended that I don't like her parents gift. I don't understand why she is getting so emotional about a gift card. I told her that if I gave her a machete for her birthday what would she do. She said give it back. But Its not the same.

When a person gives you a gift in good faith, the polite thing to do is thank them, and be grateful they made the effort to get you the gift. This is basic etiquette 101.

You might be disappointed that you did not get something you would have more preferred, and that's understandable, but in this instances those sentiments are best kept to yourself.

That being said, I do not believe your girlfriend would be no more in the right to return a gift of a machete, than you are to express your anger concerning the gift certificates.

Additionally, I believe you likely view your own emotions as more valid than your girlfriend's, but I suggest you reexamine that notion, because if she is being "emotional" then what are you when you are being angry? Anger is just as much an emotion as the rest of them.

Anyway, if those are your perspectives and this is how you handle discontent with a gift someone gave you in good faith, then I fear your relationship will not last long.