Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 3:31 pm

TomS wrote:
PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
No offense intended at all by this comment, but did you notice that all those examples were celebrities who have a lot of money? There's a phenomenon known as "Gold Digging" where people of both sexes will partner with someone much older than them -- or someone they are simply not physically attracted to -- in order to gain access to their money. Just some food for thought.

None taken. :wink: 'Gold Digging' is just a recent, and I think western term for one aspect of relationship patterns that has exsisted for millenia. There have been many forms of 'acceptable age gaps' thru history. Things like arranged marriages, political bondings (not just high level, like royalty. but also very small scale at the itchy clan level). Love and attraction were (and are) not always primary considerations in matches. Such traditions continue to this day in different cultures. The concept today has a very negative connotation in popular culture but has (and is) considered very practical and fortunate by others. I would never condemn any pair who went into it voluntarily and honestly, whatever their personal reasons are. I would only find a person who premeditated going in long enough to pillage financially and leave, reprehensible.

I did two equivalent poll threads for each thread in the adult section asking a question whether you prefer someone wanting you only for sex or wanting you only for money (and I added an aliens story of transforming all humans of the opposite sex into one of the two categories: either sex seekers or money seekers) - 99% of both men and women voted for sex seekers.

Conclusion: Gold diggers are the least desired type of partners. Even only-wanting-sex partners are better than them.

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2016, 7:36 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I did two equivalent poll threads for each thread in the adult section asking a question whether you prefer someone wanting you only for sex or wanting you only for money (and I added an aliens story of transforming all humans of the opposite sex into one of the two categories: either sex seekers or money seekers) - 99% of both men and women voted for sex seekers.

Conclusion: Gold diggers are the least desired type of partners. Even only-wanting-sex partners are better than them.

Well, put that way I'm not surprised. But what if you rephrased it 'wanting you for financial security'?

Also, it does not address the age gap scenerio specifically. In a common Golddigger situation you have a young attractive woman marrying a old rich man. From my observation both these are equally reviled. One as the Golddigger and the other as a Lecherous dirty old man.

I suspect jealousy is a strong factor in people's response. Jealousy of someone who can capitalize on good looks in their genes. Jealousy of an old person who can afford to buy an attractive young partner.

TarheelBabe1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

35 year old female here. I have so many disadvantages with the opposite sex that I might as well not bother trying anymore. Add to that list is my strong preference for men under 30, well, usually more like 22-26. I assume this preference is due to my own emotional immaturity. Oh, this accounts for why I gave up on online dating too. Yeh you can only imagine the trolling!
Slightly off subject, but I feel like I usually relate more to traits found in ASD men based only on what I read in forums or other general online articles about autism. Could be wrong about that, as I do not personally know anyone with Asperger's.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:11 pm

@TarheelBabe1980: Don't worry about the age gap. You love who you love. Many guys are attracted to older women.

As for me, while I prefer people closer to my age (I will be 37 in December), I am mostly looking for people with the same interests.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:25 pm

Personally I could care less about age as long as she is legal. But I will say that sometimes if the age difference is too great you could have less in common with the other person.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 2:26 pm

TarheelBabe1980 wrote:
35 year old female here. I have so many disadvantages with the opposite sex that I might as well not bother trying anymore. Add to that list is my strong preference for men under 30, well, usually more like 22-26. I assume this preference is due to my own emotional immaturity. Oh, this accounts for why I gave up on online dating too. Yeh you can only imagine the trolling!
Slightly off subject, but I feel like I usually relate more to traits found in ASD men based only on what I read in forums or other general online articles about autism. Could be wrong about that, as I do not personally know anyone with Asperger's.

I'm 28 ;)

Why'd you give up on dating?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

wowiexist wrote:
Personally I could care less about age as long as she is legal. But I will say that sometimes if the age difference is too great you could have less in common with the other person.

I've found many women do care and only want to date men their age, or they want to date men super older then them.

I'm 28
I see women 25 and younger want 18-26
Then there's others who want 35-50

Is 27-35 see as crappy age for guys?

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 3:13 pm

Personally I want someone younger for a number of reasons. I'm 38. Maybe I'm creepy or perverted or whatever you want to call me, but ideally I'd want someone 28-34. My wife was 4 years younger than me. We met at 26 and 22. I cannot really be attracted to many women any older than me... I have a thing for a youthful face... I just do. Can't help it. I'm not perfect. I'm really not that judgemental about a woman's appearance in most ways though I clearly have my preferences. Youthful face and some immaturity are sort of a thing.

Part of this is due to the very small age gap between myself and my mom (she had me at 18). The idea of being physical with an older women always just creeped me out for that reason....

Also the reason older men and younger women get together is because women are usually more mature at an earlier age... there's little chance a 40 year old woman is going to be interested in dating me seriously because of the fact that my maturity level is that of an early 20s guy. The things I like, I smoke pot daily, the way I talk and act, work a whatever job with little security or direction, are things all well below what you'd expect from an almost 40yr old man. I'd be far more on the same level with a girl in the age range I referred to. I think that at that age, the late bloomers are starting to seek direction and find out who they really are, and I'm sort of in that spot at 38... most men are not. Of course most of the younger women who would date someone more than a few years older would likely generally be doing it because they seek more security, which I do not provide.

I don't know why it can't just be a personal preference without it being labeled. There's certainly a heavily predatory motivation in many men in this regard, so I understand it to an extent. But it's really not always the case across the board. You can't overstate male immaturity...

Aspiegrrrl
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2016, 3:42 pm

I've generally dated guys within +\- 5 years of my age, but provided everybody's a legal adult, age ain't nothing but a number. I deny no one the occasional gorgeous 19 year old, but a steady stream of them from a person 25-30+ elicits giant eye rolls.

That said, stage of life matters too. To me, a 21 yo who has had a job for three years likely has more in common with 27 yo college grad with 3 yrs work experience than a 21 yo college junior.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 4:35 pm

Aspiegrrrl wrote:
I've generally dated guys within +\- 5 years of my age, but provided everybody's a legal adult, age ain't nothing but a number. I deny no one the occasional gorgeous 19 year old, but a steady stream of them from a person 25-30+ elicits giant eye rolls.

That said, stage of life matters too. To me, a 21 yo who has had a job for three years likely has more in common with 27 yo college grad with 3 yrs work experience than a 21 yo college junior.

What if they'd want to be with the 19 old long term?
I just get a.ong better with and have more in common with 18-26 year olds

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 6:03 pm

sly279 wrote:
I'm 28
I see women 25 and younger want 18-26
Then there's others who want 35-50

Is 27-35 see as crappy age for guys?

Not in my case. Relationships didn't really start for me until then. Had my first real relationship when I was 29, and she was 21. That lasted 18 months or so. My wife is 4 years older than me. I was 31 and she was 35 when we started dating, and were engaged 3 1/2 months after that. Next Sunday we will celebrate 17 years of marriage.

There are times when I think it would have been better for me to marry someone younger than me, but thanks to Asperger's I probably have a very small pool of people I am compatible with, and I found THE ONE! She lets me be myself, puts up with my weirdness, and we love each other. That is pretty cool for someone who it looked like was going to die alone and never in a relationship.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 8:05 pm

Lucky you :(
I am going die alone. Life only gets worse and worse for me. No woman wants a permanently disabled ugly guy on min wage who's playful

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 12:44 am

Ten years is my personal acceptable distance, doesn't mean anything outside my own established perimeter of course.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

02 Oct 2016, 3:38 am

I think age is less relevant for people on the spectrum as we tend to look younger, my adult girlfriend is often mistaken as a teenager.

That could be due to the naivety or innocence that people perceive in us but I think another factor is that people on the spectrum are less likely to be involved in the party scene.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 5:25 am

I definitely need a younger man. Any guy my age or older all just seem too worldly. I haven't been around that much. Not very many life experiences. I also don't act or feel my age. (Heavy sigh)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 6:02 am

nurseangela wrote:
I definitely need a younger man. Any guy my age or older all just seem too worldly. I haven't been around that much. Not very many life experiences. I also don't act or feel my age. (Heavy sigh)

In what ways do you not feel your age? Also, what constitutes a life experience for you?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!