Idealize, devalue and discard

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 12:14 pm

The Psychopath's relationship cycle

Quote:
A broader explanation, which would include both kinds of psychopaths, might look something like this: as research confirms, all psychopaths suffer from a shallowness of emotion that makes their bonding ephemeral and superficial, at best. When they want something–or someone–they pursue that goal with all their might. They concentrate all of their energies upon it. When that goal is your money or a job or something outside of yourself, their pursuit may appear somewhat fake. You’re a means to an end. You were never idealized for yourself, but for something else. But when their goal is actually you–seducing you or even marrying you–then their pursuit feels like an idealization. Temporarily, you represent the object of their desire, the answer to their needs, the love of their life and the key to their happiness. But this feeling of euphoria doesn’t last long because it’s empty to the core. As we’ve observed, once psychopaths feel they have you in their grasp—once your identity, hopes and expectations are pinned on them—they get bored with you and move on to new sources of pleasure and diversion.

https://psychopathyawareness.wordpress. ... d-discard/

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 1:25 pm

Some number of human eyes have read the post, but no comments. I hope that people read the article. People with less severe personality disorders will exhibit similar patterns less severely. We have some number of those here. I don't know if they also have autism, or if they just got misdiagnosed by well-wishers, or if they're just lying, as they do.

The article uses the masculine pronoun, but plenty of women exhibit this behavior. Some of the less experienced men here should also read up.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 3:27 pm

So you want to teach us how to be one, Master?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 4:04 pm

I get the feeling he’s trying to suggest those who disagree with him are such people?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 7:01 pm

Sly, I have you pegged as one of the inexperienced men who might avoid major trouble by learning about this. Read Face's own descriptions of his relationships, and decide for yourself. I have disagreements with people who have all kinds of psychological problems, and do my best not to discriminate unduly.

Does it work, this tactic of accusing someone of any negative trait they discuss? It's so "anti-racist equals anti-white" stark and ridiculous that I can't see anyone buying it.

However, given that self-examination benefits everyone, and the mods don't consider the above comments to be attacks :-? , I guess I'll try to find a way to pivot in the direction of a real discussion.

I've done some things I regret in relationships. This indicates that I've had relationships, and also suggests that I don't have a personality disorder. I don't sugar-coat things for romantic prospects, at least not to a normal NT extent. Neither sexual desire nor warm romantic feelings will shut down my overactive brain and mouth. Most people to whom I feel close never see me "on my best behavior," until I meet their parents. Depending on the parents, maybe not even then :lol:

Have I treated people badly? Absolutely, yes. I honestly feel like it stemmed from ignorance, and a failure on my part to pay attention and remember that all people are regular people just like me. When I realize that I've hurt someone, I feel terrible and apologize if appropriate. I rarely repeat behaviors for which I apologize, as a matter of principle. This directly contradicts (and in some sense results from) one of the three prongs of my practical test for sociopaths.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

I didn’t attack you I expressed how I saw this post which was pushed more that direction with your post about there being some here.
From what I read that link is talking about scopaths. Which I’m certainly not. I can’t lie or manipulate people. Even if I could I wouldn’t.
If you could read people’s minds or control them would you? I wouldn’t. Not that I don’t see the benefit doing so would bring but it’s not right or moral to do so. I’m a lame person. I suspect most people would use mind reading to their own benefit. There certainly are people who are really good at reading people and use that to benifit themselves.

So are you implying some of use here exhibit scopath tendicies or are you trying to show us how to avoid such people?
I’m giving you benifit if doubt. I’m quite unsure.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

sly279 wrote:
So are you implying some of use here exhibit scopath tendicies or are you trying to show us how to avoid such people?
I’m giving you benifit if doubt. I’m quite unsure.

Yes. I wouldn't say you always need to avoid people with sociopathic tendencies, but keep an eye on them, for sure. Some people with BPD can manage their condition, and even feel sincere contrition. That doesn't make them a good choice for a serious relationship with an inexperienced person.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 3:23 am

Snakes In Suits was one of three books I read on the subject, in the aftermath of nine months of deception, by a workplace predator. The book taught me a great deal about manipulative people who have no remorse, nor a moral compass. I believe you/your theory regarding some folks, here. I have been duped/deceived/manipulated and so on, by a couple of WP members, in the past. And, I recently, caught on, when another similar situation was beginning to occur, but, I got myself out of the situation, before any damage to my psyche could be done. The aftermath, even from that situation, was daunting, due to the fact that, if you say 'No' to a certain type of person, they fear that you will expose them (something I learned the hard way, never to do), and respectively, they will take it upon themselves, to drag you/ your good nature, through the mud, covertly taunting you around the forum, spreading false information, and making sure that you are fear ridden, and, finally, that you will leave. The first time it happened to me, here, I left for 6 weeks, although, I had planned never to return. However, after some time, I decided that I wasn't going to let the person have power over me or what I would or would not do. The second time it happened, I left for a week. I only left, because the person and their partner/minion were continuously bothering me, and it began to take a toll on my mind. I became continuously triggered and anxious and I couldn't stop worrying, every minute that I spent here. Otherwise, I wouldn't have let it control what I did/my decision to leave.

Anyway, I have no idea what condition these people possess. I know they have both mentioned within multiple threads, that they are Aspies, and they are skilled at making themselves appear that they fit in, here. I don't believe them, personally, as Aspies do not possess the traits that they possess. Although, I have recently read that you can in fact, be on the spectrum and have other conditions, that some experts have mentioned you cannot. I, personally, refrain from labeling people, as the result of things I have learned, first hand, about people with psychopathic biology/brain wiring, in addition to being an, innately, non-judgmental person, and, lastly - becoming acquainted with a couple people who had helped me, while working with my trauma therapist, who are psychopaths, and, I have a wonderful workmate, who is clinically diagnosed with psychopathy (the non-violent type). He has, absolutely, no desire to harm people. But, I suppose, that's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Last edited by Britte on 07 Oct 2017, 6:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:05 am

Not implying anything, but if I was a psychopath, the first thing I would do would be to accuse others of being one. I think one needs to be very very careful with throwing this label around. It's something I've thought about recently, because it seems like everyone on the internet has dated a psychopath, but that doesn't statistically make sense, psychopaths are rare. We can't just call everyone who treats us bad psychopaths, that would be like saying all akward people are on the spectrum. I obviously don't want to defend people who are evil from the inside and out, but sometimes it strikes me a bit narcissistic to label previous partners and such psychopaths or narcissists just because a relationship doesn't work out.

I've been lied to and hurt by previous girlfriends, I've even been cheated on. Does that make them psychopaths? No.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 6:16 am

Quote:
Read Face's own descriptions of his relationships, and decide for yourself. I have disagreements with people who have all kinds of psychological problems, and do my best not to discriminate unduly.

Well, I don't ever recall used the word psycho, crazy/insane yes but not psychopath.

Or are you referring to me as psycho?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:06 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
Read Face's own descriptions of his relationships, and decide for yourself. I have disagreements with people who have all kinds of psychological problems, and do my best not to discriminate unduly.

Well, I don't ever recall used the word psycho, crazy/insane yes but not psychopath.

I live in a world of probabilities.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:20 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

I live in a world of probabilities.

Ok Master, teach me, should we eat the liver with red wine or white wine?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:36 am

A sociopath would definitely prefer no one see the red flags. Shutting down the discussion by trolling seems like a predictable tactic.

I'm fairly certain that a sociopath wouldn't post an article telling people how to see through their BS.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:40 am

Isn't this whole thread a troll thread? :huh:

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:47 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
A sociopath would definitely prefer no one see the red flags. Shutting down the discussion by trolling seems like a predictable tactic.

I'm fairly certain that a sociopath wouldn't post an article telling people how to see through their BS.

That's not true. A sociopath definitely would.

A sociopath will do anything to be seen as the good guy, and pretending to go against other sociopaths would achieve that for him.

For example becoming a male feminist to signal an aura of empathy, even though all they are interested is the appreciation from females for doing so.

A sociopath would be afraid to voice unpopular opinions, and wouldn't dare to be as blunt as boo.

A sociopath might also play airmchair psychologist in order to disguise himself.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:51 am

Closet Genious wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

That's not true. A sociopath definitely would.

A sociopath will do anything to be seen as the good guy, and pretending to go against other sociopaths would achieve that for him.

For example becoming a male feminist to signal an aura of empathy, even though all they are interested is the appreciation from females for doing so.

A sociopath would be afraid to voice unpopular opinions, and wouldn't dare to be as blunt as boo.

A sociopath might also play airmchair psychologist in order to disguise himself.

You have plenty of antisocial behaviors on record here. I find your deflection amusing in light of that.