Would it make sense to get my ex-GF back?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 9:49 pm

I don't think it really makes a lot of sense, but I also wanted your opinion. When I first broke up with her, it felt like something was lifted off my shoulder. We were physically affectionate. But she seemed to want things for the long-term. And she didn't want to have any sex until marriage. There were many bad things going on in the relationship, not that she was a bad person. I loved her and I missed the physical parts, except that we didn't have our goals in common. Would it be possible to get her to change if I ever go back to her?

And I am sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling and I kind of know already what the answer is. But, what can I do? I can either have it all or I can't have anything at all.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 1:51 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Would it be possible to get her to change if I ever go back to her?

Yes, but then she might want you to change as well. Are you ready for that?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 5:52 am

I don't know, but I wasn't really set on getting back with her. I just miss being physically affectionate with somebody. She used to excessively call me "babe" or "cutey", even though it was cute at first.

And I feel like she is the only girl I potentially have "access" to dating if you know what I mean.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 6:18 am

You want her to fill a physical void in your life? So, theoretically, anyone who didn't put any pressure on you and didn't have any expectations from you would do, right? (provided of course that you found them appealing)
Sounds a tad shallow and self-serving.
That said, if you are honest with the other person and clearly state that you have no intention of a long term relationship then its every man/woman for themselves.
The "all or nothing" is true with respect to you and her, and good for her for establishing her boundaries. No, it's not possible to get her to change. It seems to me people don't really change, they just accommodate, and there is always a price. Her boundaries don't coincide with your own, so hopefully find someone who wants the same as you.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 6:24 am

K_Kelly wrote:
I don't know, but I wasn't really set on getting back with her. I just miss being physically affectionate with somebody. She used to excessively call me "babe" or "cutey", even though it was cute at first.

And I feel like she is the only girl I potentially have "access" to dating if you know what I mean.

Read what you're saying; you're not actually interested in this particular person, you just want anybody there. That's not the right reason to be in a relationship. It won't satisfy you and it's certainly not fair on her. You should just move on with your life and see if you can meet someone you truly wish to be with.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2017, 10:11 am

K_Kelly wrote:
I don't think it really makes a lot of sense, but I also wanted your opinion. When I first broke up with her, it felt like something was lifted off my shoulder. We were physically affectionate. But she seemed to want things for the long-term. And she didn't want to have any sex until marriage. There were many bad things going on in the relationship, not that she was a bad person. I loved her and I missed the physical parts, except that we didn't have our goals in common. Would it be possible to get her to change if I ever go back to her?

And I am sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling and I kind of know already what the answer is. But, what can I do? I can either have it all or I can't have anything at all.

It sounds like you don't want to get back with her.

Look at it like this: let's say you bought a lemon of a car. This car broke down on you time and time again, costing you thousands in repairs, to the point where you spent more on repairing the car than purchasing it. You sell the car for scrap, but then get sentimental and decide you want to buy the car back. Isn't it the same old piece of crap car that you had before? Isn't the car going to keep giving you problems?

Your relationship sounds a lot like the broken car. I'd rather walk alone than drive a car like that.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)