Its awkward at work and I am considering quitting!

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LeaPoufyPony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2017, 10:47 am

Months ago I made mistake of expressing interest in a work colleague by giving him my number but he never called/texted then exaggerated/lied as to why he didn't call.I felt little embarrassed but no big deal.I tried to be still friendly and cordial when our path crossed but he was clearly uncomfortable and standoffish.The thing,I was already thinking about leaving the company in the near future since i hate my job but he ended up beating me to the punch and left because the person he was replacing came back from martenity leave--His postion was temporary.So I decided to stay untill i finish school.

However,it became apparent  months later that  he didn't leave the company--he started working opposite shifts instead when his position  expired.Last week he had to come back to the same shifts as mine because he had to replace someone who is on 2 week vacation.Nedlessly to say,you could cut the tension with the knife.It was awkward as hell and he completely  avoided eye contact.I tried initing a small talk to ease the awkwardness  but the converation felt forced

Having said that,I just got a job offer at a different facility but different department(what I'm going to school for)I accepeted it and starting training this week .I want to work 2 places so ideally i also wanted to  apply the place i'm currently working for the department i went to school for.So that way i will have back up job.However,I contemplating weather i should just quit working for this company all together and look somewhere else for a second job to eliminate any chances of running into him.I now feel uncomfotable around him.It seems like he feels awkward so i sense that and start feeling awkward in return.I just want to start fresh somehwere else without this mess i created for myself.I feel like the dynamic is changed forever

I don't really need the extra money but was thinking to keep this job as back up.I can look elsewhere for a second job so I was wondering if just leaving this place will be better for me since I won't have to see him around and deal with the awkwardness. Would you leave if you were in my shoes?

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:26 am

LeaPoufyPony wrote:
but he ended up beating me to the punch and left

Sorry, I don't understand what this means.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:33 am

Peacesells wrote:
LeaPoufyPony wrote:

It just means to do something before the other person does it.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:48 am

I'm sorry you're in this position - that must suck and make your time at work miserable.

If this were me, I think depending on whether or not I really needed the job, I would either just deal with it (it's his problem, not mine and he can grow the **** up and act like an adult) or if it was a job I really didn't need and could easily find another one, I'd leave.

It really does sound like he's acting like a child. I'd probably just generally ignore him.

Last edited by Luhluhluh on 03 Feb 2017, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeaPoufyPony

03 Feb 2017, 11:52 am

Luhluhluh wrote:
I'm sorry you're in this position - that much suck and make your time at work miserable.

If this were me, I think depending on whether or not I really needed the job, I would either just deal with it (it's his problem, not mine and he can grow the **** up and act like an adult) or if it was a job I really didn't need and could easily find another one, I'd leave.

It really does sound like he's acting like a child. I'd probably just generally ignore him.

Thanks,i already found another job I like better but just wanted to keep this old one as back up

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
LeaPoufyPony wrote:

It just means to do something before the other person does it.

Thank you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 1:43 pm

I'd say just ignore him from now on when you see him, unless you absolutely have to say something work related to him...but otherwise I'd just rudely ignore him. I mean he could have just been upfront and told you he's not interested in a relationship or getting to know you...not sure why he feels the need to make things as awkward as possible.

If you have another job offer then you could certainly take that, quit the current position and then try and find a different back up job. But I am a little confused as to why you want to work two jobs simutaniously...wouldn't it be more effective just to have a full time job?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
I'm sorry you're in this position - that must suck and make your time at work miserable.

The guy didn't do anything wrong, I fail to see how he's acting childish according to her story. Feeling awkward/shy and avoiding eye contact happen to adults in such situations.

And...maybe the whole awkwardness is projected by the OP for all we know.

LeaPoufyPony

03 Feb 2017, 7:12 pm

I feel more secure having a back up job just in case if things don't work out at the other job...especially in my field when you start, you don't get a lot of hours until you build your seniority. Which takes a while.Most people work 2 places in my field. I would work the back up job like twice a week or so

LeaPoufyPony

03 Feb 2017, 7:18 pm

Umm no,i have had few guys ask me out at work but I wasn't intrested.I politely turned them down and it was never awkward afterwards because I acted the same as I did before they made a move.I didn't talk to them less or act distant etc.I was willing to put this behind me and if this guy still act as he did before I showed interest then I wouldn't feel awakward.When a person feels awakward,the other person will pick that up and start feeling awkward in return.I guess he just doesn't want to send wrong signals

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 2:59 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

The guy didn't do anything wrong, I fail to see how he's acting childish according to her story. Feeling awkward/shy and avoiding eye contact happen to adults in such situations.

I don't know I get the impression he is acting as though the O.P is still chasing him or something and so he thinks he needs to be as emotionally cold as he can to get her to 'back off'...even though the O.P already got the 'hint' weeks ago when he lied about losing her number and not asking her to write it down for him again.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:39 pm

LeaPoufyPony wrote:
Months ago I made mistake of expressing interest in a work colleague by giving him my number but he never called/texted then exaggerated/lied as to why he didn't call.I felt little embarrassed but no big deal.I tried to be still friendly and cordial when our path crossed but he was clearly uncomfortable and standoffish.The thing,I was already thinking about leaving the company in the near future since i hate my job but he ended up beating me to the punch and left because the person he was replacing came back from martenity leave--His postion was temporary.So I decided to stay untill i finish school.

However,it became apparent  months later that  he didn't leave the company--he started working opposite shifts instead when his position  expired.Last week he had to come back to the same shifts as mine because he had to replace someone who is on 2 week vacation.Nedlessly to say,you could cut the tension with the knife.It was awkward as hell and he completely  avoided eye contact.I tried initing a small talk to ease the awkwardness  but the converation felt forced

Having said that,I just got a job offer at a different facility but different department(what I'm going to school for)I accepeted it and starting training this week .I want to work 2 places so ideally i also wanted to  apply the place i'm currently working for the department i went to school for.So that way i will have back up job.However,I contemplating weather i should just quit working for this company all together and look somewhere else for a second job to eliminate any chances of running into him.I now feel uncomfotable around him.It seems like he feels awkward so i sense that and start feeling awkward in return.I just want to start fresh somehwere else without this mess i created for myself.I feel like the dynamic is changed forever

I don't really need the extra money but was thinking to keep this job as back up.I can look elsewhere for a second job so I was wondering if just leaving this place will be better for me since I won't have to see him around and deal with the awkwardness. Would you leave if you were in my shoes?

I wouldn't worry about this guy. He's the one with the problem. He hasn't learned how to deal with the idea that someone he isn't interested in might be interested in him. That's not your problem.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 7:46 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

I don't know I get the impression he is acting as though the O.P is still chasing him or something and so he thinks he needs to be as emotionally cold as he can to get her to 'back off'...even though the O.P already got the 'hint' weeks ago when he lied about losing her number and not asking her to write it down for him again.

That's exactly how most NT women behave too with the guys they rejected.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 9:50 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

Maybe he was afraid that she could beat him up or get violent! :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 3:12 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

Even if its a person they've normally been friendly too and had no problem with aside from simply not being intrested romantically?

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 4:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Luhluhluh wrote:

Even if its a person they've normally been friendly too and had no problem with aside from simply not being intrested romantically?

Right, I have never heard of a woman saying stuff like "You're so nice, but I don't want to ruin out friendship!" and then disappearing.

Btw I don't think OP was friends with him.

Last edited by Peacesells on 05 Feb 2017, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.