Deciphering Some women's Valentine boasting on Social Media

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:50 am

Valentine's Day is big business.

I still like the romantic notion of it---but that's the fact--at least in a US context.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:54 am

Peacesells wrote:
Lunella wrote:
the corporate idea of "valentines is only for women to get gifts". :roll:

Corporate idea? What do you mean with that?

The fact that it's literally EVERYWHERE on valentines. "Buy your woman this/that this valentines", "Best valentines idea for your woman!" etc. Never much mention of men on valentines though, especially in advertisements and such. Jewellery stores are the worst for it. The only stores where I actually see men included is occasionally from card shops or non high street stuff which is lame.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:58 am

Lunella wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
Lunella wrote:

The fact that it's literally EVERYWHERE on valentines. "Buy your woman this/that this valentines", "Best valentines idea for your woman!" etc. Never much mention of men on valentines though, especially in advertisements and such. Jewellery stores are the worst for it. The only stores where I actually see men included is occasionally from card shops or non high street stuff which is lame.

I know. Wouldn't it make sense to offer something for men too? They loose so much income from poorly marketing of this day!

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:00 am

Lunella wrote:
Peacesells wrote:
Lunella wrote:

I think it's just double standards, it's not some weird conspiration by jewelleries. I don't think they'd be very sad if women too were supposed to buy some diamond for their boyfriend. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:02 am

Some men get things for Valentine's, actually.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:07 am

Peacesells wrote:
I think it's just double standards, it's not some weird conspiration by jewelleries. I don't think they'd be very sad if women too were supposed to buy some diamond for their boyfriend. :lol:

Not diamonds, but let's say... power tools. I'd love to get а power tool for Valentines :)

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:13 am

Peacesells wrote:

I never said it was a conspiracy, it's blatantly obvious.
Jewellery stores aren't just for women, they sell mens jewellery/watches/whatevs.

Still though, men should be able to get a gift bought for them just as much as a woman on valentines.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Some men get things for Valentine's, actually.

Really? Thank you, I used to think that on 3 billions males none ever received a Valentine gift. :o
314pe wrote:
Not diamonds, but let's say... power tools. I'd love to get а power tool for Valentines :)

No idea what you're talking about. Reading Wikipedia, I learn that a power too is a tool that is actuated by an additional power source and mechanism other than the solely manual labour used with hand tools.
So for Valentine's day you want something to avoid manual labour? I see. :P

Last edited by Peacesells on 02 Mar 2017, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

One of my coworkers bought a laptop for her hubby on vday.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 10:36 am

Lunella wrote:
Peacesells wrote:

I never said it was a conspiracy, it's blatantly obvious.
Jewellery stores aren't just for women, they sell mens jewellery/watches/whatevs.

Still though, men should be able to get a gift bought for them just as much as a woman on valentines.

Lol, it was an hyperbole. I mean that it's not because of some corporate interests, it's just a double standard. People who sell Valentine gifts know it, at maximum you could say that they are taking advantage of it, but they're not the primary cause.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:21 am

Peacesells wrote:
No idea what you're talking about. Reading Wikipedia, I learn that a power too is a tool that is actuated by an additional power source and mechanism other than the solely manual labour used with hand tools.
So for Valentine's day you want something to avoid manual labour? I see. :P

power tools are things like power drills, reciprocating saws ("sawzalls"), nail guns, angle grinders and chainsaws.

that is; big, strong, manly appliances with lots of power and lots of noise, to accentuate the man and fuel his macho desire to both create and destroy.

314pe wrote:
Ok, explain to me this. You're a woman who believes in gender equality (I'd like to believe most women do believe in gender equality) and you're totally ok not to buy anything back? This totally clashes with all feminist ideals.

i wholeheartedly believe in gender equality. my post there was sarcastic, i was poking fun at the hypocrisy some feminists show in protesting societal rules that "benefit" men at their expense, while keeping quiet when it's the other way around. it makes sense from a human nature perspective, but that's not very conducive to *true* equality IMO. hence, 'pick and choose'.

they just want nice things, whatever it takes. don't we all, though?

i see why you read my post the way you did, though. probably should have put a [/sarcasm] tag or something, sorry. :jester:

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've never gotten a Valentine from a woman.

i'll make you a valentines thing.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 1:45 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i wholeheartedly believe in gender equality. my post there was sarcastic, i was poking fun at the hypocrisy some feminists show in protesting societal rules that "benefit" men at their expense, while keeping quiet when it's the other way around. it makes sense from a human nature perspective, but that's not very conducive to *true* equality IMO. hence, 'pick and choose'.

they just want nice things, whatever it takes. don't we all, though?

i see why you read my post the way you did, though. probably should have put a [/sarcasm] tag or something, sorry. :jester:

There's no need to apologize at all. I'm just trying to understand it. Yes. it's nice to get things, but still this day is oppressive to feminists because it celebrates traditional gender roles.