Being and advocate for single people

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 8:51 am

In your offline life have you become a bit of an advocate for single people.

I have a nice group of single female friends and we have shared experiences, but I feel like people who have lived the regular milestones route with relationships really don't understand our lives at all.

Quite a lot of the time we feel ignored and swept under the rug. Sometimes we feel looked down on for being too picky or judged for being weird.

I've started speaking about the single experience, not so much for me, but for my friends. They are lovely people and I don't want them to be forgotten about or treated like they are nothing or weird.

So I frame my comments in a way that sounds more like I'm talking about me, so that I don't embarass anyone. Something happened to a friend of mine last week and I'm upset about how she was treated, so I've been quite outspoken about how I feel when I get treated like I have no feelings.

I do think people get sick of me talking about this. I don't think it's socially acceptable and I think that I'm starting to look bitter about my life, when that's not what I'm intending, but I don't see how this is any more annoying that people posting their kids on facebook. I am annoying, but so are other people.

I feel like this is something that doesn't get discussed openly.

Yeah, I know this is why I'm single. I'm scarily strong willed and opinionated, but I hate how my friends are treated sometimes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 9:10 am

No, because I have never seen my guys friends being treated badly by other guys because they're single.

The only people who ever annoyed me about my single status and criticized were all married women; but this usually happens privately.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 03 Jun 2017, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 9:15 am

Oh I defend single men too if I can. I don't know single men so well, but recently someone I know was rolling her eyes about this man we know and the types of girls he tries to ask out, and I said to her, "what is he meant to do? He's making an effort with the new people he meets. The ones we all have known for years aren't interested in him and now he's only meeting women younger than us because most of our age group have rejected him or are taken. You can't be so hard on him."

Just in case you're wondering folks, I liked him, but he didn't like me, but even so, I'm not going to ignore the fact that it's more difficult to meet someone now he's a bit older.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2017, 9:21 am

Your friend is jealous of the younger women- this is a very typical eye rolling scenario.

DevilMayAsian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2017, 11:16 am

I can relate to your guy friend, I'm doing the opposite, I'm going after older women. 10-20 years older, everyone at work knows it. They all had negative and positive reactions to and many more in between.