Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm

Hey guys,

Anyone have any successful stories of getting a relationship when they had thought prior that it was nigh impossible or highly unlikely. For example if you thought you had too many emotional or neurological issues, or that you were too shy, or you found it hard to imagine anyone liking you, or whatever.

Do share :)

If you're out there, please come find me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:05 am

I've had quite a few relationships.

But I can't say I attained one "against all odds."

When I was 15, this Hispanic girl liked me, and I liked her. Classic "West Side Story" scenario. But the father banned me from seeing her. One day, she ran out of her apartment building screaming.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 12:33 pm

I have a near-successful one. Emphasis being on the word near. Met a girl online once - we start sending PMs back and forth half-randomly, and two months in, I develop feelings towards her. Apparently she had feelings towards me at that point as well. Alas, before the mutual crush has a chance to turn into a romance, she breaks it to me that she wants to keep me as a mere friend.

It was even my first serious crush. You can only guess how devastated I was. Funnily enough, I never thought that I'd find my first "true" love on an Internet forum, of all places. But then, love is unpredictable - almost annoyingly so.

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2017, 2:59 pm

^ Thanks for replying, both of you. I've kinda got an interest in a guy on an online forum too, I haven't told him though.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 4:14 pm

I've met my last three girlfriends via on-line forums, there's no shame in it, you have to play to your strengths. My advice would be to try and not get too carried away until you've actually met and spent some time together in real life.

VinoVeritas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2017, 9:03 pm

I have an "against all odds" story for you.

I met a very nice, very pretty young lady in church. I was a pudgy, awkward, socially phobic grad student and she did modeling jobs for local department stores. "Out of my league" didn't even begin to cover it.

I looked for her the next Sunday to talk some more, but she had brought another guy who sat next to her with a possessive look. I could have kicked myself. Of course a girl who looks like that could have any boyfriend she wanted, and it wasn't likely to be the nerdy guy with glasses who plays D&D. To add insult to injury, my roommate asked me why I bothered trying to ask her out, because the girls I asked out never seemed to hang around for long. (We are still good friends today, and I love him for his honesty, but occasionally he drives me crazy.)

I'm not sure why I didn't give up after that. It turns out that the other guy was "just a friend" who she was about to stop hanging out with because he wouldn't quit trying to turn things romantic. I also discovered that she and I had a lot of similar preferences and life experiences, which ends up being more important in the long run. One evening she admitted to me that she was scared she could never fit in with my "crowd" because she couldn't keep up when we started talking about relativistic topology or quantum tunneling. (I had never thought of it that way. We're sci fi nerds. It's just a hobby.)

We are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year. So I guess it worked out.

OpalWP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2017, 9:16 pm

VinoVeritas wrote:

I met a very nice, very pretty young lady in church. I was a pudgy, awkward, socially phobic grad student and she did modeling jobs for local department stores. "Out of my league" didn't even begin to cover it.

That. Is awesome.

And thank you for replying.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:23 am

I'm in the middle of mine - I'm alive against quite a number of odds so making sure to show love & that I can always find time got simpler when I realized what it means.

I'm a terrible workaholic but I've got ample good reasons why. I was a total loner for YEARS. Someone helped me past it & I find all the time with her I can.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

AlyssJJJ1
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2017, 9:17 am

I think that meeting your soulmate online is a very tricky thing. You actually don`t know how people look like and can see only the avatar image.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 3:18 am

Unfortunately, any future relationship story would include the phrase "Quit being a Christian!" or "Quit being conservative!"

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2017, 2:22 am

VinoVeritas wrote:

I looked for her the next Sunday to talk some more, but she had brought another guy who sat next to her with a possessive look. I could have kicked myself. Of course a girl who looks like that could have any boyfriend she wanted, and it wasn't likely to be the nerdy guy with glasses who plays D&D. To add insult to injury, my roommate asked me why I bothered trying to ask her out, because the girls I asked out never seemed to hang around for long. (We are still good friends today, and I love him for his honesty, but occasionally he drives me crazy.)

I'm not sure why I didn't give up after that. It turns out that the other guy was "just a friend" who she was about to stop hanging out with because he wouldn't quit trying to turn things romantic. I also discovered that she and I had a lot of similar preferences and life experiences, which ends up being more important in the long run. One evening she admitted to me that she was scared she could never fit in with my "crowd" because she couldn't keep up when we started talking about relativistic topology or quantum tunneling. (I had never thought of it that way. We're sci fi nerds. It's just a hobby.)

Wow man, that is a great story and congrats on your 20th!

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 2:34 am

VinoVeritas wrote:

Just shows that "attractivity matching" is not part of neurodiversity. I've claimed that before, and this seems to be a great example that it's correct. After all, many of us do not get a girlfriend because we want to show her off. Most of us are not that shallow.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2017, 6:05 am

i met this girl at an adult program,it all started with Iron Man & Transformers,and the rest was history.she made me feel so easily Rock-Hard Horny-Feely until i almost E'd (you don't wanna know what that means),i could've taken her inside the jungle room (her bedroom) & pounced on her like a tiger in the wild,RAWR.she was the Princess Peach to my Mario. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: and 5 months after we got back together as well as 2 months before,she kicks me out of her castle on the day i met the family.during that time,sad music started playing,it emotionally sent me over the edge :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ,that i became so disrespectfully hateful about NT women,as well as girls regarding relationships,romance & sex when seeing them out on the street with a man :x :x :x ,because of their negative perception of Guys with AS upon eye contact,that i started being better off single,stimming & planning to stim on giant-stuffed bears,based on how horny-feely i am with their negative perception being blamed for it :D :D :D :x :x :x other than being physically intimate with women as well as girls who may not love me for who i am regardless of my aspergers because of the traits that she'll definitely be frustrated with along with seeing them all romantically & sexually suffer just like Guys with AS are right now & not caring :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 6:52 am

rdos wrote:
After all, many of us do not get a girlfriend because we want to show her off. Most of us are not that shallow.

Something a good portion of NT dudes could take note of.