Mixed signals from a date from 2016

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 11:42 pm

There's a reason I'm not on here all that often but there's also a reason why I don't mind staying up late to write this.

Over a six week period Thanksgiving of 2016 to New Year's Day 2017 (and the latter day is spot on) I was chatting with a girl (we'll call her "K") from OkCupid who lived about ninety minutes from where I am in New York City these days. K borderline friendzoned me at first, then we went on two days on back to back days (which probably didn't help) before nixing the whole thing altogether with a sort of Dear John letter, which I sent her a harsh reply accusing her of playing with my emotions. In all honesty, it wasn't a good time to date as I had just lost a job and was moving away from home and in with a friend, and I get the feeling that she sensed that.

Being the idiot I am, I never did get rid of her number for some strange reason I apologized to her in July for being so harsh (which she accepted) and didn't hear much of her (although I ended up re-following her on Instagram and have occasionally I've liked her posts and have left positive comments, which she has liked).

Flash forward to Monday. I'm already questioning if Hell has frozen over (the Bills made the playoffs for the first time since I was in elementary school) and K sends me a Happy New Year message on Instagram, in addition to following me. We chatted for a bit, she asked me how things have been going, etc. I told her I still have her number (and she was actually glad to hear that as she has a new phone and has lost a few contacts).

So we've been texting on and off since then, mostly shooting the breeze and whatnot and it's got me wondering: did she message me out of curiosity? Was it a sort of "How's you life going" and I'll hear from her from time to time or is there a potential that the door's been cracked open and that I'm in a "friendzone purgatory" (my own words)? I'm teading carefully and in fact I haven't heard from her since this afternoon and I'm not sending her another reply until at least Saturday at the earliest, but I'm wondering if I should ask if she would be interested in hanging out again. I'm happy to hear from her again, and our chats have been very emoji heavy (smiles on her end).

Any thoughts?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm

You’re over thinking it. Just give your phone a break for a while and do some other things. Ask her to hangout in a couple of days.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 1:04 am

hale_bopp wrote:
You’re over thinking it. Just give your phone a break for a while and do some other things. Ask her to hangout in a couple of days.

Seeing how I'm also not able to sleep tonight for several reasons, a digital detox would by no means hurt. Quite the opposite in fact!