What is misogyny? What is misandry?

Page 2 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 7:58 am

magz wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
One means hatred of women, the other means hatred of men.

Ethymologically, yes.
But I see nothing hateful about a man believing a woman should clean, cook and raise the children or a woman believing the man should earn the resources. I may disagree, but unless someone is hatefully trying to put me down on my carrier (and nobody tries) there doesn't need to be any hatred in this belief.
My parents live this way and there is nothing close to hatred in their relationship, they live on "different but equal" terms with plenty of mutual respect and support.

That's fine. It does work for some people.

The misogyny and misandry comes about when people imply that humans can't live any way other than that.

Misogyny and misandry is about ignoring individuals and painting everyone with the same brush regardless of who they are or how they feel or act.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 8:01 am

magz wrote:
But I see nothing hateful about a man believing a woman should clean, cook and raise the children or a woman believing the man should earn the resources.

It depends. XFilesGeek's explanation was a little narrow, it is hatred or contempt. If a man expects the woman to clean\cook etc as that's all she is good for then you could class that as misogyny.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:56 am

magz wrote:
Is a man who says he likes women for their looks misogynist?
Is a woman saying she looks for an employed man misandrist?

misogynist:
1- A man who hates women as much as women hate each another.

"Woman: This new gal employee shows off her cleavage all the time, she must be a b***h.
Man: Yeah, I hate those women who wear like her for attention.
Woman: You're a misogynist, you hate all women!!"

2- A word used by a woman against a man who is winning an argument.

Woman: "I don't need a man to support me"
Man: "Then why you never pay the bills on dates"
Woman: "You're a misogynist, you hate all women!! "

misandrist: A woman who has the belief that the source of all evil in the world can be traced back to men.

"Women: All violence exist because of men, they should be reduced to 5% of population.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
misogynist:
1- A man who hates women as much as women hate each another.

"Woman: This new gal employee shows off her cleavage all the time, she must be a b***h.
Man: Yeah, I hate those women who wear like her for attention.
Woman: You're a misogynist, you hate all women!!"

I think most women who would get mad at such comments from a man would disapprove of such comments coming from a woman as well. We would call it "internalized misogyny".

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2017, 1:47 pm

"Misogyny" is a social condition in which boys and men grow up learning that they are superior to girls and women, and deserve greater freedom and independence.

"Misandry" doesn't exist.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 1:55 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
"Misogyny" is a social condition in which boys and men grow up learning that they are superior to girls and women, and deserve greater freedom and independence.

Misandry does exist. It's very nice to think that there is no such thing as a woman being bitter or biased and saying that all men are this or that because she has an axe to grind it has been hurt by one or 2 men and now hates all men.

I know women like that and I tell them that they are sexist.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2017, 2:07 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Misandry does exist. It's very nice to think that there is no such thing as a woman being bitter or biased and saying that all men are this or that because she has an axe to grind it has been hurt by one or 2 men and now hates all men.

The difference is that young boys are taught misogynist values from a young age. What you call "misandry" in women is usually behavior and values they've picked up from experience. To claim that there's this widespread societal problem of "misandry" is just silly.

What next, are you going to accuse gay men and lesbians of being "heterophobic" if they're distrustful of straight people?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:12 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

The difference is that young boys are taught misogynist values from a young age. What you call "misandry" in women is usually behavior and values they've picked up from experience. To claim that there's this widespread societal problem of "misandry" is just silly.

What next, are you going to accuse gay men and lesbians of being "heterophobic" if they're distrustful of straight people?

Actually no. Female teachers have been known to make offensive comments to male students.

All my years growing up I heard women saying sexist things about men.

Both genders are guilty of sexism and both genders teach it to children.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:32 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Saying misandry doesn't exist is misandry in and of itself.

I have no freaking idea how anyone can come to the conclusion that boys are taught misogynist values from a young age. From my experience, all the way from childhood to the end of high school, it was always male students who were yelled at and thrown out of class by teachers(majority of which are female btw).

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:

You don't believe in science, you don't believe chromosomes exist, you don't believe electrons or atoms exist. There's not much you think does exist. This seems to be a mechanism for you to deal with the massive gaps in your knowledge. I really struggle to respect anything you say.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2017, 3:02 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Saying misandry doesn't exist is misandry

"Saying witchcraft doesn't exist is witchcraft" :roll:

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

Chichikov wrote:
You don't believe in science, you don't believe chromosomes exist, you don't believe electrons or atoms exist.

I believe science has its place, and it has made positive contributions to our civilization as much as any other religion. I also believe that scientific fundamentalism is as dangerous and toxic as any other religious fundamentalism. If you think that makes me "anti-science" then oh well.

And when have I ever said I don't believe electrons or atoms exist? 8O Are you maybe mistaking me with a different user?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 3:08 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Saying misandry doesn't exist is misandry in and of itself.

I have no freaking idea how anyone can come to the conclusion that boys are taught misogynist values from a young age. From my experience, all the way from childhood to the end of high school, it was always male students who were yelled at and thrown out of class by teachers(majority of which are female btw).

Oh they're taught both. Society hates everyone.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

Hey, please, tone down!
I welcomed the exchange of opinions, love to see what other people think, but please, leave the personal insults out of this.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2017, 3:28 pm

magz wrote:
Hey, please, tone down!
I welcomed the exchange of opinions, love to see what other people think, but please, leave the personal insults out of this.

Personal insults are something I've come to expect. It's what happens when women dare to speak against misogynistic narratives in a misogynistic society. When the narrative is threatened, the oppressor class always falls back on violence (physical and verbal) to maintain dominance.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 3:36 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
magz wrote:
Hey, please, tone down!

Personal insults are something I've come to expect. It's what happens when women dare to speak against misogynistic narratives in a misogynistic society. When the narrative is threatened, the oppressor class always falls back on violence (physical and verbal) to maintain dominance.

No it's what happens when people are antagonists or irritated. Don't play the co tin card. It undermines your argument just as much as insults undermine theirs.