Male disposability in life & dating

Page 10 of 25 [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:41 am

It is a simple question magz: yes or no.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2017, 11:45 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Sorry, the answer is conditional.
Yes if I perceived unemployment as temporary
No if I perceived unemployment as permanent.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:46 am

This is why we can't have nice things..

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2017, 11:49 am

Closet Genious wrote:

? I don't get it.
By the way, Boo:
Would you marry an obese woman?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:53 am

magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

? I don't get it.
By the way, Boo:
Would you marry an obese woman?

Oops. I was too late.

I always find this comparison silly.

1: Being unemployed doesn't destroy your health.
2: Not being obese is not difficult, but getting and working a high paying job requires alot of effort.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:59 am

Quote:

You're not being fair now hurtloam. You're not responding to what I am saying.
Social ball parks has nothing to do with it. If an awkard guy like john mayer gets to swim in (attractive) women, you cannot say with a straight face that social skills are all that matter.

Sorry I didn't see a question.

Would you get loads of interest from women if you has the fame and money of John Mayer?
Yes you would.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:04 pm

magz wrote:
But my mentally ill, jobless cousin has a girlfriend and they have been together for years now.
TBH, many women in the family wonder why she stays with him... but good for him!

Mental illness tends to correlate with higher intelligence.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-smarter ... ill-270039

It isn't easy to have a relationship when there is a large difference in IQ. If someone is smart and makes a good income, having a partner that can understand them may be more important than any additional income a partner could bring.

Last edited by BTDT on 16 Oct 2017, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:10 pm

magz wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I agree the answer is conditional. It's not black and white.

If it's a permenant situation, what is the reason? Is the man seriously ill? Is he a lazy layabout who watches tv all day? Is he not intelligent?

If it's temporary, what is the reason? Has he just been made redundant? Is he too arrogant to do a menial job in the interim whilst he looks for a job he wants? Has he been unemployed for a short time or a long time and why?

I'd expect a man to ask the same questions about me if I was unemployed. Thankfully I've only been unemployed for one day in the past 10 years. As someone who managed to land on their feet a lot and find work I won't have as much sympathy for someone who can't find a job. There's got to be some big reason for him not being able to work? Will that be a liability?

Anyway, my point was, just having a good job isn't enough. Even if one has a good job other factors come into the equation.

And why is it always all or nothing with you guys? Do I want a man with no job or a musician millionaire? Um, neither, I just want someone in the middle like me.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:16 pm

BTDT wrote:
magz wrote:
But my mentally ill, jobless cousin has a girlfriend and they have been together for years now.
TBH, many women in the family wonder why she stays with him... but good for him!

It isn't easy to have a relationship when there is a large difference in IQ. If someone is smart and makes a good income, having a partner that can understand them may be more important than any additional income a partner could bring. More money isn't always better.

Interesting, I never thought about that.

I am definitely not a genius(ironic), but I am most definitely quite a bit above average, in IQ also. Maybe that's why I felt so lonely in past relationships..

Where do I find these smart women?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:18 pm

hurtloam wrote:
magz wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

If it's a permenant situation, what is the reason? Is the man seriously ill? Is he a lazy layabout who watches tv all day? Is he not intelligent?

If it's temporary, what is the reason? Has he just been made redundant? Is he too arrogant to do a menial job in the interim whilst he looks for a job he wants? Has he been unemployed for a short time or a long time and why?

I'd expect a man to ask the same questions about me if I was unemployed. Thankfully I've only been unemployed for one day in the past 10 years. As someone who managed to land on their feet a lot and find work I won't have as much sympathy for someone who can't find a job. There's got to be some big reason for him not being able to work? Will that be a liability?

Anyway, my point was, just having a good job isn't enough. Even if one has a good job other factors come into the equation.

And why is it always all or nothing with you guys? Do I want a man with no job or a musician millionaire? Um, neither, I just want someone in the middle like me.

I was only going to an extreme to disprove your theory. That social skills were "the most important" thing.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

I was at dinner in which a young women was obviously interested in me. It was also painfully obvious that we were worlds apart in education and intellect, as she was the only one at the table who didn't get my jokes.

https://www.rd.com/advice/relationships ... -together/
If You and Your Partner Laugh at the Same Jokes, Science Has Good News for You
Laugh together, or cry alone.

This article agrees with my "test."

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:24 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
magz wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I was only going to an extreme to disprove your theory. That social skills were "the most important" thing.

Ah I misunderstood because I didn't actually say that. So I didn't realise what point you were trying to make.

The thing is there's guys on here who are constantly saying woe is me, my job isn't good enough. Now I understand they have circumstances where what they are doing now is as much as they can do.

I'm trying to phrase this in the most constructive way possible. But even with a good job, there would still be work to do. It's not a magic panacea. I don't think these guys are comparing themselves to famous musicians, just guys with full time jobs, earning a living way and owning a car and having their own apartment. That's the level I'm on.

I don't see the point of finding a target and constantly moaning about that one thing, when it's not that one thing that is the issue.

Although it's probably worse to accept that there is a cluster of problems not just one problem.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2017, 12:31 pm

Closet Genious wrote:

...unless we take depression, low self-esteem and addictions into account...
Closet Genious wrote:
2: Not being obese is not difficult, but getting and working a high paying job requires alot of effort.

You are unfair here. You can compare being not obese to having any job, "a high paying job" is more of an equivalent to having a model shape.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Oct 2017, 12:43 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
BTDT wrote:
magz wrote:

It isn't easy to have a relationship when there is a large difference in IQ. If someone is smart and makes a good income, having a partner that can understand them may be more important than any additional income a partner could bring. More money isn't always better.

Interesting, I never thought about that.

I am definitely not a genius(ironic), but I am most definitely quite a bit above average, in IQ also. Maybe that's why I felt so lonely in past relationships..

Where do I find these smart women?

According to this article - in mental hospitals :P

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:25 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
magz wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Ah I misunderstood because I didn't actually say that. So I didn't realise what point you were trying to make.

The thing is there's guys on here who are constantly saying woe is me, my job isn't good enough. Now I understand they have circumstances where what they are doing now is as much as they can do.

I'm trying to phrase this in the most constructive way possible. But even with a good job, there would still be work to do. It's not a magic panacea. I don't think these guys are comparing themselves to famous musicians, just guys with full time jobs, earning a living way and owning a car and having their own apartment. That's the level I'm on.

I don't see the point of finding a target and constantly moaning about that one thing, when it's not that one thing that is the issue.

Although it's probably worse to accept that there is a cluster of problems not just one problem.

No worries. When it comes to being attractive, we are the sum of our parts, but I don't think we have to be good at everything. A socially akward guy, would be better off focusing on his strengths, like maybe putting his intellect to use in whatever way he can.

The john mayer comparison is actually the opposite of whining. It's the circumstances he has created for himself, that gives him the opportunites he has now. All else being equal, if I had his success, and he worked at walmart, I would get alot more female attention than him. Or if he had spent time working on his social skills, instead of playing guitar. So it's not that I'm inherently bad, and he is good, he's just in a much better situation than me in regards to attracting women, but he still has the same weaknesses socially as I do.

This kind of goes back to self improvement. When we see threads on WP like "how do I get a girlfriend", the question should really be "how do I improve myself" instead. because it's actually same question. If I wanted a girlfriend, it's only a matter of changing the variables that will give you most bang for your buck, which I am kind of doing now anyway. That's why even though I sometimes seem a bit angry here, I never whine, because I don't think the world is evil against me, I understand how the world works(pretentious I know). I just get a bit annoyed with how the world works sometimes.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:28 pm

magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

...unless we take depression, low self-esteem and addictions into account...
Closet Genious wrote:

You are unfair here. You can compare being not obese to having any job, "a high paying job" is more of an equivalent to having a model shape.

What if a guy has a high paying job and a model physique?

You're comparing the presence of destructive behavior, with the absence of productive behaviour.

I don't think we can compare it either way.

No one is born obese, and no one is born with a job.