But it’s all about personality >.>

Page 14 of 34 [ 538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 34  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,679
Location: Adelaide, Australia

07 Nov 2017, 9:35 pm

Yes I realise some people's family don't give a s**t. Nature vs nurture. I don't want people to suffer because they were raised by s**tty parents.

No one can choose who their parents are. If it were up to me I'd put poor teens on some kind of mentoring program to counter the bad ideas they get from their bad parents.

This mentoring program might be a lot cheaper to run for a few years per person than paying them a lifetime of welfare would be.

A stitch in time saves nine.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2015
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,951

07 Nov 2017, 11:17 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rags to riches stories are common because rags to rags doesn't make for a good story. Rags to riches is extremely possible but it's hardly probable.

Ordinary folks like me and many others here just don't have the stamina to be good students while working full time jobs. Fatigue makes for a poor student, at least in my case.

The prevalence of these stories combined with survivorship bias prevents society from dealing with the very real and measurable problem of the intergenerational poverty cycle.

Anyway, there may have been lots of doctors in your year but that's a very small sample size. I went to a craphole school too. Guess how many doctors were in my year. Go on. Guess.


No students work full time jobs. Unless it’s over the holidays. It’s normal for students to have part time jobs while studying.

It probably also comes down to your family’s values. My family is not rich, but they put a lot of emphasis on getting an education and getting a decent job, and being a hard worker. Either work for your money or have none. I guess it rubbed off on myself and my sister.

Some not rich families don’t give a crap about any values except drinking and getting knocked up, and getting government money. It’s no surprise their kids turn out to be the same.

Sly’s family probably has a lot to do with his situation.


You are so sheltered if you believe all poor people are lazy alcoholics and wealthy folk are all honest and hard-working. Once again you make it patently obvious how much contempt you have for those less well-off than yourself.


What are you even talking about? Pretty sure I didn’t say either of those things.


The way you talk is loaded with implications.



hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

07 Nov 2017, 11:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Either work for your money or have none. I guess it rubbed off on myself and my sister.

If those who aren't working have no money then presumably they're not getting any from welfare.

That was why I thought you were against welfare.


No, that’s just my family’s opinion and what we expect from ourselves, not other people. Walfare is there for a valid reason. I’m really only against people who abuse it, or choose to have kids on it.



hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

07 Nov 2017, 11:27 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rags to riches stories are common because rags to rags doesn't make for a good story. Rags to riches is extremely possible but it's hardly probable.

Ordinary folks like me and many others here just don't have the stamina to be good students while working full time jobs. Fatigue makes for a poor student, at least in my case.

The prevalence of these stories combined with survivorship bias prevents society from dealing with the very real and measurable problem of the intergenerational poverty cycle.

Anyway, there may have been lots of doctors in your year but that's a very small sample size. I went to a craphole school too. Guess how many doctors were in my year. Go on. Guess.


No students work full time jobs. Unless it’s over the holidays. It’s normal for students to have part time jobs while studying.

It probably also comes down to your family’s values. My family is not rich, but they put a lot of emphasis on getting an education and getting a decent job, and being a hard worker. Either work for your money or have none. I guess it rubbed off on myself and my sister.

Some not rich families don’t give a crap about any values except drinking and getting knocked up, and getting government money. It’s no surprise their kids turn out to be the same.

Sly’s family probably has a lot to do with his situation.


You are so sheltered if you believe all poor people are lazy alcoholics and wealthy folk are all honest and hard-working. Once again you make it patently obvious how much contempt you have for those less well-off than yourself.


What are you even talking about? Pretty sure I didn’t say either of those things.


The way you talk is loaded with implications.


You’re projecting. I don’t think that at all. Half of rich people are rich because they swindle and cheat others. Being poor is not an indication of whether or not you’re a decent person either. Most poor people I’ve known were as*holes, rich people too, actually, but you cannot make judgement based on them alone.



314pe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2014
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,013

08 Nov 2017, 1:02 am

hale_bopp wrote:
No students work full time jobs. Unless it’s over the holidays. It’s normal for students to have part time jobs while studying.

I did work full time.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
314pe wrote:
As a person who has worked full time in university, I would not trust a medical doctor who has worked full time during his studies.
How did you survive?

I started drinking coffee. It also helped that I had no personal life at that time.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,679
Location: Adelaide, Australia

08 Nov 2017, 1:34 am

314pe wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
314pe wrote:
As a person who has worked full time in university, I would not trust a medical doctor who has worked full time during his studies.
How did you survive?

I started drinking coffee. It also helped that I had no personal life at that time.

If I did that I would die from exhaustion and/or fail the course.

Do you think your work lowered your grades or made you less effective at learning?


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


314pe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2014
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,013

08 Nov 2017, 2:19 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
314pe wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
314pe wrote:
As a person who has worked full time in university, I would not trust a medical doctor who has worked full time during his studies.
How did you survive?

I started drinking coffee. It also helped that I had no personal life at that time.

If I did that I would die from exhaustion and/or fail the course.

Do you think your work lowered your grades or made you less effective at learning?

Of course it did both lower my grades and made me less effective at learning, but it gave me a lot of real world experience. I was studying software engineering and I worked as a web developer. It wasn't easy, but you still can't compare this to a manual labor job.



hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,054
Location: None

08 Nov 2017, 2:42 am

Sly’s thread is 15 pages. Well, that’s proof you can get people’s attention. :P

The fact you worked full time while studying is interesting, but not standard. Most people can only manage part time.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,679
Location: Adelaide, Australia

08 Nov 2017, 5:16 am

hale_bopp wrote:
The fact you worked full time while studying is interesting, but not standard. Most people can only manage part time.

I knew someone from work who did the same thing. She did not enjoy it but I was kind of impressed.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,893

08 Nov 2017, 6:10 am

Now that I think of it, when my mom was in her late twenties, she went to school, had a fulltime job and was raising a toddler.

I'd never be able to do the same.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,679
Location: Adelaide, Australia

08 Nov 2017, 6:49 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Now that I think of it, when my mom was in her late twenties, she went to school, had a fulltime job and was raising a toddler.

I'd never be able to do the same.

When did she even sleep!! 8O 8O 8O


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,832
Location: NH

08 Nov 2017, 9:06 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Not everyone has excellent parents like you did hale_bopp. Some people are raised by clueless parents.

There are many people less fortunate than myself and I don't expect them to pull themselves out of poverty by their own bootstraps.

I used to be on welfare. For that I make no apologies. I used welfare as a launchpad for my current career. The second hand suit I wore to the job interview was bought using welfare money. I lived on welfare while I completed my IT certificate at TAFE.

If I had even been working part time, it would have been very difficult for me to get that certificate. I don't have unlimited energy.

If I had gone to that job interview without descent clothes, they might have turned me away.

If I thought the world doesn't owe me anything and never claimed welfare, I would still be unemployed.

So I disagree with people who say welfare should be eliminated so that unemployed will suddenly decide to get jobs. It doesn't work like that.

If someone is happy and well fed and well clothed and not worrying about how they're going to pay their overdue electricity bill, they can study effectively or they can ace a job interview.

So rather than telling the poor that if they work hard, everything will magical be ok, I would advise them to use welfare as a launchpad to a new career as I did.


Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for stealing others' hard earned money. Way to go.


_________________
About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...


Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2015
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,951

08 Nov 2017, 9:51 am

Boxman108 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Not everyone has excellent parents like you did hale_bopp. Some people are raised by clueless parents.

There are many people less fortunate than myself and I don't expect them to pull themselves out of poverty by their own bootstraps.

I used to be on welfare. For that I make no apologies. I used welfare as a launchpad for my current career. The second hand suit I wore to the job interview was bought using welfare money. I lived on welfare while I completed my IT certificate at TAFE.

If I had even been working part time, it would have been very difficult for me to get that certificate. I don't have unlimited energy.

If I had gone to that job interview without descent clothes, they might have turned me away.

If I thought the world doesn't owe me anything and never claimed welfare, I would still be unemployed.

So I disagree with people who say welfare should be eliminated so that unemployed will suddenly decide to get jobs. It doesn't work like that.

If someone is happy and well fed and well clothed and not worrying about how they're going to pay their overdue electricity bill, they can study effectively or they can ace a job interview.

So rather than telling the poor that if they work hard, everything will magical be ok, I would advise them to use welfare as a launchpad to a new career as I did.


Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for stealing others' hard earned money. Way to go.


You're right. He should have starved to death instead.



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,181
Location: US

08 Nov 2017, 12:48 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rags to riches stories are common because rags to rags doesn't make for a good story. Rags to riches is extremely possible but it's hardly probable.

Ordinary folks like me and many others here just don't have the stamina to be good students while working full time jobs. Fatigue makes for a poor student, at least in my case.

The prevalence of these stories combined with survivorship bias prevents society from dealing with the very real and measurable problem of the intergenerational poverty cycle.

Anyway, there may have been lots of doctors in your year but that's a very small sample size. I went to a craphole school too. Guess how many doctors were in my year. Go on. Guess.


No students work full time jobs. Unless it’s over the holidays. It’s normal for students to have part time jobs while studying.

It probably also comes down to your family’s values. My family is not rich, but they put a lot of emphasis on getting an education and getting a decent job, and being a hard worker. Either work for your money or have none. I guess it rubbed off on myself and my sister.

Some not rich families don’t give a crap about any values except drinking and getting knocked up, and getting government money. It’s no surprise their kids turn out to be the same.

Sly’s family probably has a lot to do with his situation.


My moms dad and mom worked for my biological dads parents company. They sold Schrader wood stoves. We’re a success, they traveled to Europe on business, had planes, cars, ate out a lot at fancy restaurants. Until my dads dad took all the companies money and ran off with another woman. The company went bankrupt and closed.
My grandma worked for the university of oregon and then the state after. My grandpa died from cancer or some lung problem. He smoked , but also the company had him painting stoves in a invented room for years. He had served in the military before meeting my grandma, she stole his lighter so she could return it and see him again. He’d gotten a tatto of her name already. Different better times where love was more important and people fell for each other instantly. Anyways. My biological dad swindled his money in cars, abused my siblings while cheating in my mom, so my mom divorced and got us all away from him when I was a baby, my grandpa died around the same time. My mom is disabled she never worke. My uncles(her brother) all joined the navy except one who joined the army. One became a hippie but eventually got into construction and is making good money, the other worked security, the 3rd is the worse he worked truck driving mad great money but got fired for drug use. He now while having similar mindset to you, mooches off his elderly mom and well off brother. He’s stolen from her, he lived in a homeless camp for while, still does I think. He has a huge me me me me me, entitlement issue, thinks he’s owed everything but that no one else is and he won’t help others at all unless he’s compensated for it.
Never known my cheating, abusing, deadbeat biological dad.

I’ve don the best I could. I’ve done better then all th teachers and state people thought a aspie could ever do. :cry:



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,181
Location: US

08 Nov 2017, 12:51 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Not everyone has excellent parents like you did hale_bopp. Some people are raised by clueless parents.

There are many people less fortunate than myself and I don't expect them to pull themselves out of poverty by their own bootstraps.

I used to be on welfare. For that I make no apologies. I used welfare as a launchpad for my current career. The second hand suit I wore to the job interview was bought using welfare money. I lived on welfare while I completed my IT certificate at TAFE.

If I had even been working part time, it would have been very difficult for me to get that certificate. I don't have unlimited energy.

If I had gone to that job interview without descent clothes, they might have turned me away.

If I thought the world doesn't owe me anything and never claimed welfare, I would still be unemployed.

So I disagree with people who say welfare should be eliminated so that unemployed will suddenly decide to get jobs. It doesn't work like that.

If someone is happy and well fed and well clothed and not worrying about how they're going to pay their overdue electricity bill, they can study effectively or they can ace a job interview.

So rather than telling the poor that if they work hard, everything will magical be ok, I would advise them to use welfare as a launchpad to a new career as I did.


Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for stealing others' hard earned money. Way to go.

See people would be happy if I died. World is only for well off people and sycophs who’ll hurt anyone they can to get ahead in life.
And people wonder why we have wars, mass shootings, genocide murder etc. cause a lot of people don’t care no they hurt as long as they make out good in the end.



hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,679
Location: In a better place now.

08 Nov 2017, 1:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your family trouble sly. It’s interesting to go back & trace the dysfunctional behavior through the bloodlines. None of us exist in a vacuum. Our earliest relationships set the stage for what is to come, for better & worse.