I don't want to reproduce for right reasons

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

palaua
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2017, 12:26 pm

I don't want anyone in the future generation to suffer from any form of mental disorder, even most consider Asperger syndrome as a neurological disorder. Even if there's just a small chance my possible Son would inherit my disorder I still refuse it, because in the stone age human species like me wouldn't survive the first 3-4 years so It would against natural selection.
I support eugenics to control population in a way so only the fittest, most intelligent individuals should have the right to reproduce, so we can become a better race in a close future.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

oh my...

okay.
it's totally cool if you want to abstain from passing on your genes.

but, it's really frightening that you support population control in general. who decides, is a huge problem. the nazis pretty much covered that one. how would intelligence be measured, and, who says that only the most intelligent people are assets to society. some "highly intelligent" people don't really contribute anything whereas some "lowly intelligent" people contribute a lot. diversity is a valuable tool. what if some mental conditions aren't genetically inherited, like, PTSD for instance. what if all the autistic and mentally ill people were killed off a long time ago and such household figures like einstein and woolf never got the chance to do what they did with their lives. ..just to name some reasons why this idea is impractical and fundamentally horrifying.

*runs away* 8O

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 2:09 pm

This is totally your own decision; but if you want the "smartest, most fit" people to reproduce, you might want to reconsider it, since those on the high-functioning end of the spectrum are (on average) more intelligent than the human average.

cuiiacetoarsenite
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2017, 6:53 pm

This is of course just my opinion, but I think the "right reason" would be that there are too many people in the world. Thinking yourself less worthy to reproduce than the next guy is not the right reason. Humans were a neat species but 7 billion and growing fast? It's getting old guys! Let dolphins take over for a while...

You don't know that your offspring will have Asperger's or even if they do, whether it will be a cause of misery for them. The genetic link is there but it is indirect (requires environmental factors as well as genetic ones).

Meanwhile, there are people who have much more severe conditions with a direct genetic link and yet they have kids anyway (one example would be people who get early onset cancers from defective tumor suppression genes).

I personally plan to get tested for several genetic disorders before having kids so I don't end up like that last category.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:21 am

I don't want to reproduce for selfish reasons. I'm not joking. I don't want to use any of my money or efforts for raising children.

I fear that if too many people share my sentiments we may end up in an underpopulation crisis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:03 am

The world won't be underpopulated for a long time.

Only have kids if you want to have kids.

Eugenics sucks.

palaua

12 Jul 2017, 7:39 am

cuiiacetoarsenite wrote:
This is of course just my opinion, but I think the "right reason" would be that there are too many people in the world. Thinking yourself less worthy to reproduce than the next guy is not the right reason. Humans were a neat species but 7 billion and growing fast? It's getting old guys! Let dolphins take over for a while...

You don't know that your offspring will have Asperger's or even if they do, whether it will be a cause of misery for them. The genetic link is there but it is indirect (requires environmental factors as well as genetic ones).

Meanwhile, there are people who have much more severe conditions with a direct genetic link and yet they have kids anyway (one example would be people who get early onset cancers from defective tumor suppression genes).

I personally plan to get tested for several genetic disorders before having kids so I don't end up like that last category.

The main problem is that people with the lowest IQ and self control have the least consciousness to make any serious decision in their lives and their view on reproduction mostly based on tribal and cultural perspective. We have millions of people who die just because of hunger in the third world, not even counting those who die by criminal activities and diseases and all this wouldn't happen if someone had the decision to educate them on the responsibility to have a children because if all your goal is to reproduce without it's consequences the world will really become a hell. There wouldn't be immigration and far less suffering in a world where population control exists and we can reconsider cultural conditions which largely influence our unconscious mind to act in a way we normally wouldn't want if we have the intelligence and self control.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:46 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I don't want to reproduce for selfish reasons. I'm not joking. I don't want to use any of my money or efforts for raising children.

I fear that if too many people share my sentiments we may end up in an underpopulation crisis.

I'm with you on that. I've never actually understood why people want kids (although I can see why they often arrive unplanned)... but each to their own.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

palaua

12 Jul 2017, 7:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The world won't be underpopulated for a long time.

Only have kids if you want to have kids.

Eugenics sucks.

Eugenics was a serious science but the Nazis gave it a bad reputation. It's a persons right to have children but if someone doesn't have the right mind to form an own opinion due to lack of intelligence and cultural habits, then that person doesn't hold the capability to make serious decisions over his life, and reproduction is one of the most serious act the mankind should consider in a world which is not for everyone.
Materialism and modern science refuse any religious mindset which consider the existence of heaven and hell. If we die one day we all become no more than bones, our acts have no consequences if we nuke this earth we all become nothing and non existent. What's the worth of life therefore? Not much
We should not try to destroy the lives of other races that died out just because of our selfish needs to form an existence on earth which is only based on money and selfism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 9:16 am

It's a fact that two people with high IQ's could produce a raving idiot.

And that two raving idiots could produce the next Einstein.

palaua

03 Jan 2018, 8:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's a fact that two people with high IQ's could produce a raving idiot.

And that two raving idiots could produce the next Einstein.

It's true but exceptions strengthen the rule.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 10:22 am

I have seen, in my life, many people whom I perceived to have "low IQ's" be wonderful parents. Many people with "low IQ" have their priorities straight.

I have, definitely, seen very "intelligent" people who are really poor parents.

I know a family of high-IQ people who had two daughters who both committed suicide a few weeks apart.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 10:28 am

Aspergers/autism is not "heritable," in the classic Mendelian sense.

Most of the time, Aspergian/autistic unions produce "NT" children. Or they might produce a person who is within the Broad Autism Phenotype, but is not autistic. Or they might produce children with autism of varying severity.

There are many cases of two "NT" parents producing Aspergian/autistic children.

In other words, it's sort of a "crapshoot."

Autism can be heritable----or it can be totally idiopathic.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 10:32 am

I don’t want to reproduce for all reasons. Don’t want to go through a pregnancy, don’t want to raise children, don’t want some poor kid to be generically screwed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 10:40 am

Don't you realize that everybody is "genetically screwed" in some fashion? We are the product of many mutations.

I just don't think Asperger's is the worst thing one could have.

And, like I said, two totally "NT" parents have, on many occasions, produced "classic" autistic children.

Of course, I can understand a woman not wanting to go through the rigors of pregnancy.

I didn't have kids----because I didn't believe I'd be a great dad. It doesn't have much to do with me having autism. Many people without autism are not great dads. I think I'd be okay now, though.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 10:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't you realize that everybody is "genetically screwed" in some fashion? We are the product of many mutations.

I just don't think Asperger's is the worst thing one could have.

And, like I said, two totally "NT" parents have, on many occasions, produced "classic" autistic children.

Of course, I can understand a woman not wanting to go through the rigors of pregnancy.

I didn't have kids----because I didn't believe I'd be a great dad. It doesn't have much to do with me having autism. Many people without autism are not great dads. I think I'd be okay now, though.

My genetics are particularly bad. It has little to do with autism. There is a lot worse you can have, and it’s in my family line. My great grandmother was institutionalised for severe bipolar, Grandad had a severe anger problem which I inherited, another disorder that curves your back, other side has dementure, we have autism, hormonal dysfunction, I have BPD and ADD.