Page 1 of 12 [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 9:23 pm

Here's one I bet you've never heard before. I just got rejected for making an offhand comment about peanut butter. Yes, peanut butter.

Things were going really well before that. She was into a lot of the same things I am (a rarity, where I live) and was actually somewhat attractive. I told a couple of jokes, and she thought I was funny. So when I asked her if she wanted to text and she said she preferred to meet in person before exchanging phone numbers, I replied "I prefer peanut butter over Nutella."

She went quiet for about a half hour. That's because she was busy writing a freaking essay about how offended she was. Somehow, she was able to dig so deep into that stupid little joke that she took offense to it. Apparently by saying "I prefer peanut butter" right after she had said something about her own preferences, I was insinuating that what she wants was no more important than peanut butter or Nutella. And furthermore, she didn't think she could date anyone who was so insensitive to his partner's wants and needs. Goodbye, if I messaged her again she would report me for harassment. Also, she's blocking me.

All because of peanut butter.

It was just so ridiculous I had to share it with you guys. Some people...

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 12:38 am

she is a nut. best you found out early

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 2:25 am

That's a bit of an overreaction on her part, but it's not an unfair point to make. She made a point about how she prefers to vet to whom she shares personal information (like phone numbers), and your reply implied that her preference was unimportant.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 2:32 am

People will bristle at a text message but are totally cool with surrendering 100% of all privacy to web media, telecoms & their government.

Everyone's got to wake up to the irony of this at their own speed.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 3:05 am

Young women in the dating scene have to be careful who they give their personal information too and how vulnerable they make themselves. You basically snorted at her safety plan, which likely set off her creep-dar and prompted the emotional reaction and blocking.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 4:14 am

Your joke was definitely condescending, but I have to agree, serious over-reaction on her part. I'd say you dodged a bullet there.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 6:09 am

There wasn't more to that exchange? Because that doesn't make sense.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 7:14 am

I like turtles.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2018, 9:38 am

I find it odd that a woman is willing to meet up with a guy that she doesn't trust with her phone number. People give their phone numbers 1st & text & talk to each other on the phone so they'd feel more comfortable with the person before they meet them. The poor girl the OP chatted with has it backwards. I sure as hell wouldn't want to meet up with any girl I wouldn't trust with my phone number. Anyways she really overreacted. She has serious issues & it's good he found out before he met her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 10:11 am

You got rid of her in a Jif. :P

Sorry it didn’t work out. :(

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 10:25 am

It wasn't about the peanut butter. You missed the mark on that one.

Here's an example that might change your perspective:

You: "Since we're talking about going out to a restaurant this weekend, I would prefer going somewhere that serves pizza."

Her response: "I like spaceships."

Based on the way you described your exchange, your exchange in my opinion was no less puzzling than the example. Unless we missed a piece?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jul 2018, 11:36 am

Magna wrote:
It wasn't about the peanut butter. You missed the mark on that one.

Here's an example that might change your perspective:

You: "Since we're talking about going out to a restaurant this weekend, I would prefer going somewhere that serves pizza."

Based on the way you described your exchange, your exchange in my opinion was no less puzzling than the example. Unless we missed a piece?
I would of just assumed that he made a bad joke or maybe wasn't mentally all there. Neither of these are reasons to get upset & fly off the handle.
BTW my girlfriend answers my questions weirdly like that all the time. She'll give ma random word or speak gibberish sometimes when she's not sure about the answer or when she's frustrated or stressed or something. It can be alittle frustrating when I really want an answer but it doesn't bother me for the most part.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm

Magna wrote:

The way i read it, it was actually a little worse. More along the lines of this:

Her: "I would prefer going somewhere that serves pizza."

Him: "Well, people in hell want ice water."

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm

Wow, it's worse than I thought! This is an epidemic! All these people taking an offhand remark about peanut butter and twisting it beyond recognition just to validate how offended they want to be.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 3:34 pm

nick007 wrote:
I find it odd that a woman is willing to meet up with a guy that she doesn't trust with her phone number. People give their phone numbers 1st & text & talk to each other on the phone so they'd feel more comfortable with the person before they meet them. The poor girl the OP chatted with has it backwards. I sure as hell wouldn't want to meet up with any girl I wouldn't trust with my phone number. Anyways she really overreacted. She has serious issues & it's good he found out before he met her.

Many women will choose to first meet a new guy in a public place or a restaurant where there are lots of people. That way if things go sideways they can leave with less chance of being harassed or followed by the guy (they are less likely to do that when there are witnesses.)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 3:39 pm

Nevertheless they're still unusually cool about smartphones eavesdropping 24/7 on everything they say, everywhere they go, anything they buy etc.

We're well on our way down the slippery slope of respecting people less than technology.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: