Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm

a dust-colored room might be more practical. :idea:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:24 pm

Beyond home decoration and into house construction. Many of the walls in our house are rock walls. I love ceramic tiles so over half of the floors are covered with tile (easy to clean and last forever). When we built our house we used a hexagon design (a bit like a honeycone). The house will alway be modern and never grow old. But then furniture is rarely designed for houses with strange angles, so there is some wasted space. We loved skylights and cathedral ceilings so we built that into the center module. Wood ceilings in the center module.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:33 pm

^^ Sounds absolutely gorgeous!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:37 pm

I would love a house designed from the git-go to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. thick walls with staggered studs and rock wool in between alternate layers, radiant reflective barrier metal sheeting, heat chimney with whole house vent fan on top, covered cooling tower augmented by a mister that sends cooled air down insulated tubes to baseboard outlets to work in conjunction with the heat chimney, a reflective white roof, reflective windows with shade overhangs, and the whole thing shielded by a canopy of tall trees. and for wintertime, trombe walls and southern exposure that can be shaded over in summertime.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I would love a house designed from the git-go to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. thick walls with staggered studs and rock wool in between alternate layers, radiant reflective barrier metal sheeting, heat chimney with whole house vent fan on top, covered cooling tower augmented by a mister that sends cooled air down insulated tubes to baseboard outlets to work in conjunction with the heat chimney, a reflective white roof, reflective windows with shade overhangs, and the whole thing shielded by a canopy of tall trees. and for wintertime, trombe walls and southern exposure that can be shaded over in summertime.

Me too.

I get a bit queasy over house construction. I think it has something to do with me managing the renovation of our 104 year old house and seeing it scaled back to nothing with more and more issues coming along. It was fairly exhausting, expensive and it took me ages to like the house after it was finished.

Now, I get very anxious about anything to do with refurbishing houses. Having a flap about a "company flat" we will be living in on /off this coming year and various aspects of the building materials. Of course, I have now convinced myself it is all made from asbestos. I am so precious, it is driving me crazy. :oops:

I would love to build from scratch and just know everything that went into my home and for it to all be lovely fluffy healthy things.....

Not particularly realistic at this juncture. Maybe in 10 years or so.... if I don't die from asbestos poisoning before then. :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Aug 2018, 4:54 pm

I have some colorblindness & don't care about style or decorating or anything. I don't like things really bright like sunlight or very bright colors cuz that can be hard on my eyes so as long as my girlfriend respects that, it doesn't really matter to me what she does unless she needs money from me in order to do it. About the only thing I decorate is my bedroom(I sleep with Cass but my computer & personal stuff is in there) & it's decorated with knives/blades & similar types of weapons. I could decorate my room a lot more cuz I have wall space & things I could hang/put up but I don't care enough to get around to it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2018, 8:17 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Me too. I get a bit queasy over house construction. I think it has something to do with me managing the renovation of our 104 year old house and seeing it scaled back to nothing with more and more issues coming along. It was fairly exhausting, expensive and it took me ages to like the house after it was finished. Now, I get very anxious about anything to do with refurbishing houses. Having a flap about a "company flat" we will be living in on /off this coming year and various aspects of the building materials. Of course, I have now convinced myself it is all made from asbestos. I am so precious, it is driving me crazy. :oops: I would love to build from scratch and just know everything that went into my home and for it to all be lovely fluffy healthy things..... Not particularly realistic at this juncture. Maybe in 10 years or so.... if I don't die from asbestos poisoning before then. :roll:

I hope you can get rid of that asbestos soon as possible.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 3:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Me too. I get a bit queasy over house construction. I think it has something to do with me managing the renovation of our 104 year old house and seeing it scaled back to nothing with more and more issues coming along. It was fairly exhausting, expensive and it took me ages to like the house after it was finished. Now, I get very anxious about anything to do with refurbishing houses. Having a flap about a "company flat" we will be living in on /off this coming year and various aspects of the building materials. Of course, I have now convinced myself it is all made from asbestos. I am so precious, it is driving me crazy. :oops: I would love to build from scratch and just know everything that went into my home and for it to all be lovely fluffy healthy things..... Not particularly realistic at this juncture. Maybe in 10 years or so.... if I don't die from asbestos poisoning before then. :roll:

The asbestos is in my head! Not in the actual building. :lol:

It is all perfectly fine. I just get uber paranoid about building materials. Hence my dream of building something from scratch.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 3:29 am

elsapelsa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It is all perfectly fine. I just get uber paranoid about building materials. Hence my dream of building something from scratch.

I useta hafta handle asbestos for a living. cough. :skull:

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 3:38 am

auntblabby wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I useta hafta handle asbestos for a living. cough. :skull:

Gosh, that would be my nightmare. I am such a wimp with hazardous materials. The flat is fine and I am sure perfectly healthy. It is just a week of jet lag and broken sleep (with two small people with jet lag) has left me all jittery about everything. Besides this two home living situation seems daunting and I will miss my lovely old house during the week. Worst part is I know I am being "precious" rather than practical and rational and that makes me a bit pissed at myself.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 4:13 am

Chronos wrote:
Many of them also accent with LED lights giving their home a night club appearance. While this all looks nice, it occurred to me that a woman might be put off by decore that is reminiscent of a night club because she may get the impression that he is a player rather than a man looking for a commited relationship.

I would be put off by such decore, because very often (but not always) it ends up looking childish.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 4:32 am

elsapelsa wrote:
Gosh, that would be my nightmare. I am such a wimp with hazardous materials. The flat is fine and I am sure perfectly healthy. It is just a week of jet lag and broken sleep (with two small people with jet lag) has left me all jittery about everything. Besides this two home living situation seems daunting and I will miss my lovely old house during the week. Worst part is I know I am being "precious" rather than practical and rational and that makes me a bit pissed at myself.

we all have our moments, you should see me fly off the handle when I see a bee get too close to me. 8O :oops:

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 4:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:

we all have our moments, you should see me fly off the handle when I see a bee get too close to me. 8O :oops:

Yesterday I was in the new flat trying to hang this long ceiling canopy from the very high ceiling (which I have convinced myself is laced with asbestos) precariously perched on the narrow window ledge and this giant bee came in, tangled itself up in the canopy and well....he took about 20 min to untangle from the masses of fabric and I has to rescue him using a play mobile pirate.

I am ok with bees, roaches, even found a scorpion in my tent once.... it is just suspect man made materials that gets me edgy...

Mutters to self: "There is no god damn asbestos, it is just I am having transition jitters!"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 4:52 am

elsapelsa wrote:
Yesterday I was in the new flat trying to hang this long ceiling canopy from the very high ceiling (which I have convinced myself is laced with asbestos) precariously perched on the narrow window ledge and this giant bee came in, tangled itself up in the canopy and well....he took about 20 min to untangle from the masses of fabric and I has to rescue him using a play mobile pirate. I am ok with bees, roaches, even found a scorpion in my tent once.... it is just suspect man made materials that gets me edgy...Mutters to self: "There is no god damn asbestos, it is just I am having transition jitters!"

you are braver than me, and more noble. last bees in-house I dealt with, I wished I had a space suit to protect me against, they were buzzing loudly and were angry at being trapped inside and making angry motions towards me, one of 'em I sucked up with a long wand on a vacuum cleaner, the other I used a long-distance [about 10' away] bee poison jet that made a BIG mess inside the bathroom. to avoid that I got me a "bug-a-salt" bug shotgun that uses table salt to blast critters out of mid-air. but I suspect that the bugasalt gun would just rile them worse. bees, flies and skeeters I dispatch, but everything else I put in a cup and take outside. if I could figure out a way to keep the bee from stinging me when I released it, I would. each sting has left me with a worse allergic reaction, so I won't take any more chances.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 5:14 am

Must be very hard when you are allergic.

We had an incident a year or so back when my daughter and her friend were having picnic on the grass and a swarm came down all around them. We were told it was 20,000 or so when the bee keeper came to smoke them out of our garden. They used her slide as a landing strip. It was seriously crazy. You would hate it around here everyone is an amateur bee keeper.

I like the sound of your bug devices though. When I lived in Japan we had a lot of roaches and I found this roach device which you shot at them which kind of enveloped them in a ball all around them. I feel America should be full of insane bug repellent devices.

I mostly just lift them up and put bugs outside bar ticks which I burn as I just hate them so much!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 5:33 am

roaches, they scuttle so quickly that the only way I can deal with them is a vacuum cleaner. I remember in the army we were besieged with the little blighters, and since we were tasked with repainting the latrine [army talk for lavatory], a gross amount of those buggers were permanently entombed in a thick layer of red enamel paint.