Would you date a girl who wears men’s band tees?

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 3:10 pm

BTDT wrote:
Most bands don't sell enough T shirts to offer T shirts in women's cuts. Many only offer large men's sizes.

Abba and Taylor Swift do offer women's T shirts but most bands can only dream about that sort of commercial success.

I listen to a lot of metal and have gone to quite a few concerts. The vast majority of metal bands don't really have the sort of commercial success someone like Taylor Swift might but you could drown in the T-shirts and other merch metal bands sell.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 3:11 pm

nick007 wrote:
I'm surprised bands still make tShirts. I thought hoodies were what's popular now & replaced band tShirts.

Most make t-shirts and hoodies, gotta have something to wear under the hoodie...and also if it gets too hot out for the hoodie.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 3:19 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
T-shirts were originally underwear, yes...but their purpose has expanded over the decades.

Not too many people look askance at people wearing all but the most blatant undershirts.

Band t-shirts are usually not used as undershirts.

Their purpose has extended in practical terms, but only, as far as I can see, to accommodate those who see fastening half a dozen buttons as "uncomfortable" - lazy people, in other words.

Wearing t-shirts as one's outermost layer of clothing screams an apathetic lack of concern for one's appearance, except when there's a utilitarian reason for it (for going to the gym, doing the gardening, etc.) When they also have tacky rock band logos printed on them, it screams "attention seeker" to boot.

My generation just doesn't seem to understand that the key to dressing well is subtlety; when you have to reveal everything about yourself on a t-shirt, before the other person has even met you, it's the ultimate proof that, nine times out of ten, your personality is hollow and you probably aren't worth getting to know.

If you judge people so harshly just for wearing t-shirts, than perhaps it is you with the hollow personality. Also, usually if someone has a band on their shirt its because they really enjoy that band, they may have even gotten it at a concert. If that earns a little attention from another fan of that band...who the hell cares?

I don't outrightly condemn anyone for wearing t-shirts - most of them don't realise how they're being duped, I'm just bitter about the fact that society has lost the broadly accepted standards as to what is the right way to dress and on what occasions, because this symbolises the more general trend of the decay of social cohesion and the sense of community. It sounds authoritarian, and I suppose it is, but there isn't really any such thing as free will, in reality; those who dress according to modern fashions (or lack of) are equally the subject of social forces they don't see, but they have the worst of both worlds in that they've also lost the joy of wearing clothes that mark them out as part of a mature social milieu. We all have.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 10:59 am

Target still sells fashion staples like little black dresses in their stores.

It may take a little searching, but there is a huge variety of fashion online from specialty clothes designers that really isn't that expensive, compared to what you would have spent at Sears 20 years ago.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 11:32 am

Yes, this is a non issue for me.

OrdinaryCitizen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2018, 12:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
OrdinaryCitizen wrote:
In today's society women lost all feminine qualities they dress pants instead of dresses and in general dress like man or feminist lesbians.

Wait....you mean they lost boobs and vaginas? :duh:

It depends on your preference you rather hit on women who dress like a man or women who dress like a women.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 2:15 pm

I was told by a friend that she could see me wearing men’s band tees and boots. It makes me so upset that she wants me to dress like a tomboy rather than being the girly girl that I naturally am. She said “what if you meet a cute guy who loves Avenged Sevenfold?” And I say to her “I prefer not to show off my music tastes and would rather a guy get to know me for me.” Then she holds up the shirt and says “but it’s you” and I say “yeah when I was in 8th grade”

I try to say to tell her that I’m a 25 year old woman now and I’m not a 12 year old metal head anymore and she says “nothing makes me feel more feminine than a men’s band tee” and when I say I don’t like dressing like a punk rock girl she says “that’s like saying everything Joan Jett wears is trash” and she goes on and on about how it’s a powerful statement to be a woman and wear men’s shirts.

I’m not a powerful woman. With the exception of potty humor and video games I’m very girly.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 8:02 am

Just continue to dress the way you want to dress. Otherwise, you’re giving in to the values of others.

I’ve liked both girls who dressed girly, and girls who wore band t-shirts.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 8:05 am

There are Youtube videos on how to transform boxy Men's Tees into girly clothes with a little sewing. Add a peplum to turn it into a dress!

Fans of Dr.Who can buy dresses, including a Tardis dress on the BBC site.
DOCTOR WHO: HER UNIVERSE GALAXY TARDIS HOODIE DRESS
$49.98

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 9:58 am

I'm still looking for the thread called "Would you Date a Guy Who Wears Women's Dresses?"

That being said, I have. I'm not sure why a person's clothes matter. They're removable.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 6:47 am

You seem genuinely interesting in meeting guys but I have no idea how you go about it e.g. on-line dating etc.

If a guy is attracted to you and gets the idea that you're into him, it's unlikely he'll give a lot of thought to how you dress.

Remember that dating is a courtship ritual by which I mean the first thought in the guy's mind is whether there is a possibility of some kind of sex with you. If you expect to have dates with guys, then you have be to prepared to at least think about that and not be shocked if that topic comes up. To put it another way, physical attraction is the first factor a guy considers and after that is the possibility that you might have reciprocal thoughts about him. Most guys have no way to tell, so any hint that you might be into him will encourage him.

The only way I can see that a tee shirt would be a factor in your dating success is if the tee shirt sends out a message that some guys might find discouraging. An excellent example is if the band is a Country act and the guy isn't into Country, then he might feel that you will reject him if he admits that to you, or that your differences in musical tastes mean that any relationship with you is doomed to failure. OTOH if it's a band he likes, the tee shirt will actually make him more interested. BTW I don't think I would ever notice that a tee shirt a lady is wearing is actually a men's size.

Regarding your sexuality, I think you'll be fine so long as you don't wear this:

The basic message you want your clothing to express is "I'm a real woman, I'm into dudes, and I'm single!".

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

I think a girl should expect a guy to respect her clothing and music choices. If not, I doubt there is any hope for a meaningful relationship.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 7:53 pm

The main human character of the new Transformers movie Bumblebee not only wears a band T shirt, but a boy crushes over her!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 4:55 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
T-shirts were originally underwear, yes...but their purpose has expanded over the decades.

Not too many people look askance at people wearing all but the most blatant undershirts.

Band t-shirts are usually not used as undershirts.

Their purpose has extended in practical terms, but only, as far as I can see, to accommodate those who see fastening half a dozen buttons as "uncomfortable" - lazy people, in other words.

Wearing t-shirts as one's outermost layer of clothing screams an apathetic lack of concern for one's appearance, except when there's a utilitarian reason for it (for going to the gym, doing the gardening, etc.) When they also have tacky rock band logos printed on them, it screams "attention seeker" to boot.

My generation just doesn't seem to understand that the key to dressing well is subtlety; when you have to reveal everything about yourself on a t-shirt, before the other person has even met you, it's the ultimate proof that, nine times out of ten, your personality is hollow and you probably aren't worth getting to know.

If you judge people so harshly just for wearing t-shirts, than perhaps it is you with the hollow personality. Also, usually if someone has a band on their shirt its because they really enjoy that band, they may have even gotten it at a concert. If that earns a little attention from another fan of that band...who the hell cares?

I don't outrightly condemn anyone for wearing t-shirts - most of them don't realise how they're being duped, I'm just bitter about the fact that society has lost the broadly accepted standards as to what is the right way to dress and on what occasions, because this symbolises the more general trend of the decay of social cohesion and the sense of community. It sounds authoritarian, and I suppose it is, but there isn't really any such thing as free will, in reality; those who dress according to modern fashions (or lack of) are equally the subject of social forces they don't see, but they have the worst of both worlds in that they've also lost the joy of wearing clothes that mark them out as part of a mature social milieu. We all have.

Well I never liked the society standards of how to dress, like for all my life I have always hated 'dressing up' to go to things, I don't mind wearing something a bit nicer than a t-shirt and jeans for some events but for just general going out to places like walmart, the mall or walking around in an open space or national forest area with trails and things I don't see anything wrong with a t-shirt and jeans. Also though a lot of the t-shirts I get are from concerts and they have some meaning and I actually keep them as nice as I can, turn them inside out to wash them and hang them up on hangers. Its not just junk shirts I am wearing...I do take care of them. I mean I do find when people are wearing ratty torn up shirts, that doesn't look good but not everyone can afford to just go out and get new clothes that often.

But also t-shirts are comfortable and I am someone who cares a bit more about comfort than looking pristine. Like I would rather have more practical clothes than looking fancy.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 2:48 pm

I can easily see the difference between a well fitted woman's T shirt and a boxy men's T shirt.

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2018, 2:54 pm

I'm definitely more than ok with a female wearing a rock band t-shirt. :heart: