Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 3:28 pm

People truly in the Army could go on dating sites.

Some very lonely people are in the Army.

Glad you dodged that bullet, Kitty :D

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jan 2019, 10:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was a soldier on an ep of Catfish who contacted the show & got on because he was being catfished by a woman he met on a dating site.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 12:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think I’m talking to a guy in the Army, I don’t know, he never asked me for money, his internet is ok, he told me he wants to retire, get a house & have a life with me.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 6:17 am

^ He's another scam.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2019, 6:54 am

I think it’s another scammer, too. It’s too soon for him to be saying things like that. What is the other man you’re talking to like?

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 7:34 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think I’m talking to a guy in the Army, I don’t know, he never asked me for money, his internet is ok, he told me he wants to retire, get a house & have a life with me.

Have a life with you? You've never even met him. :roll: That's creepy.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 7:47 am

In general you cannot talk about what you DO in the armed forces, this is regardless of which one you work for. You can say that "i'm in the marine" for example, but not "I'm an operative sniping talibans, i have a TS/SCI clearance and the coordinates for our secret base is x,y".

Only in rare cases you cannot even mention the armed forces. For me it was "I work in government". Later on, that policy changed when a bunch of people started talking openly about where they worked because they wanted attention, them a bunch of us said "f**k it" and also jumped on that train. But we still didn't talk about details.

In general, Armed forces wages are lower than private sector wages, but not so low that you have to ask for money - that is just sets off alarms. Unless you have PTSD or something you can adopt to a civilian life and not end up on the streets and ask for money. But then i suppose you rarely have internet access.

And i agree, someone who wants to "have a life with you" is a bit creepy, especially when you haven't even met yet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 7:58 am

Yep. Agree on the creepiness.

He doesn’t even KNOW you, whatsoever.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:35 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

nobody of any quality would say anything like that to you so soon. he is playing you, please beware.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2019, 7:46 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
He was scam artist pretending to be in the Army, he asked me for money for better internet service, he think I was born yesterday!! This same thing happened to me over 2 years ago.

I could speak of a similar story.. beats me why anyone from this line of work needs to have some money buried for a rainy day, dental work perhaps? when your eating out of a can of soup all seasons, maybe a health plan is forefront of his mind, but if it is the latter, then clearly forces depression have crept in.
You've done the right thing anyway, say to him, if he's worried about prosthetics, see a counsellor instead.
These guys usually need GSOH to brighten up their day so keep it simple but to the point and eventually he'll move on.

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2019, 8:26 pm

Actually, someone telling you they want to build a life with you when they haven't met you isn't creepy - sometimes people do fall deeply in love with other people's personalities (instead of looks) over the Internet.

- However, this is not one of those times - and a guy telling you that the first day he talks to you is obviously a scam.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jan 2019, 10:21 pm

ShyGirl7 wrote:
Actually, someone telling you they want to build a life with you when they haven't met you isn't creepy - sometimes people do fall deeply in love with other people's personalities (instead of looks) over the Internet.

- However, this is not one of those times - and a guy telling you that the first day he talks to you is obviously a scam.
Me & both my exes & current girlfriend told each other things like that before we met in person. However we had known each other for a while online 1st & we chatted aLOT. Someone saying something like that after only chatting for a day is full of sh!t.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2019, 1:17 am

nick007 wrote:
ShyGirl7 wrote:

Me & both my exes & current girlfriend told each other things like that before we met in person. However we had known each other for a while online 1st & we chatted aLOT. Someone saying something like that after only chatting for a day is full of sh!t.

Yes, that's precisely my point. ;)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 1:45 am

ShyGirl7 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ShyGirl7 wrote:

He did say that he feels a connection with me. I’m ending it talking to him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:33 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
ShyGirl7 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
ShyGirl7 wrote:

He did say that he feels a connection with me. I’m ending it talking to him.

i'm glad to hear you are finding out how to tell fakers from the real ones.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2019, 8:03 am

This is something I just saw on the news:

Quote:
Queensland Police have issued an urgent warning to the public after discovering what they’ve described as “a disturbing development in romance and online scams”.
Supt Lawrence said the US Army Criminal Investigation Command receives hundreds of complaints a month from people who find themselves involved in an online relationship with someone purporting to be a soldier.
“This is a common scam worldwide,” Supt Lawrence said.
“Usually the offender’s interaction with the victim is all online so this further step of travelling to the victim’s home is certainly something we need the public to hear and be warned of today.
“I encourage anyone using social media platforms to develop friendships or relationships online to maintain control at all times.
“I know emotions may make that harder but arm yourself with the knowledge that these scams are occurring to everyday members of the community like you.
“Take the time to evaluate the relationship, talk to friends and other loved ones about your new relationship online. We are thankful the victim in this instance took this step.”

https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... 4cd0163c4b

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149