LDR: How do I make things less awkward in person

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

The Geek Overlord
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2019, 4:06 pm

So, I met this girl online, and she's completely mind-blowing. She understands me completely. I could go on and on and on about her.

We met in person for the first time last Friday. And it was awkward. I was expecting awkward, but it was way worse than I expected. She recognized it was way worse than she thought it would be. She knew she gets awkward and nervous with any new person, especially if she likes them, but she wasn't prepared for this. She felt incredibly guilty about it. She couldn't bring herself to hug me back, even though she really, REALLY wanted to, and she said she even wanted to kiss me (which she knew would've been my first kiss), but it was just too... awkward. She even said that next time, I should just try to hug her, and if I was comfortable with it, go for the kiss, even if she said no. I can't do that, as I'm way too respectful of a person. And because there'd be zero way to distinguish from a "no, but do it anyways", and a "no". She said it would help her, but I can't do it.

So, my question is, how do I get past that conundrum, and the overall awkwardness?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2019, 4:32 pm

All 3 of my relationships were LDRs at 1st. Things were awkward in the begging when we 1st met up but we took things kinda slow & both checked to make sure the other was comfortable. My advice is to stick things out & try not to rush or put a lot of pressure on anything. Maybe you just need some more meet ups before you guys feel comfortable with each other.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Peanut31
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2019, 4:40 pm

Enjoy it! It won't always be this awkward. Be yourself, let her learn that if she really would like you to kiss her but she says no then you won't do that. It's too soon for you to be trying to change, just enjoy the awkward start of things and see where they go!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2019, 4:54 pm

The Geek Overlord wrote:
She even said that next time, I should just try to hug her, and if I was comfortable with it, go for the kiss, even if she said no. I can't do that, as I'm way too respectful of a person. And because there'd be zero way to distinguish from a "no, but do it anyways", and a "no". She said it would help her, but I can't do it.
Sad thing is LOTS of women complain about how guys don't know No means No when it comes to sex. Sh!t like this is probably one reason why guys sometimes get confused. Your girl should be happy she has a guy who's respectful enough not to try anything anyways when she tells him No.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The Geek Overlord
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Feb 2019, 5:02 pm

nick007 wrote:
The Geek Overlord wrote:
She even said that next time, I should just try to hug her, and if I was comfortable with it, go for the kiss, even if she said no. I can't do that, as I'm way too respectful of a person. And because there'd be zero way to distinguish from a "no, but do it anyways", and a "no". She said it would help her, but I can't do it.
Sad thing is LOTS of women complain about how guys don't know No means No when it comes to sex. Sh!t like this is probably one reason why guys sometimes get confused. Your girl should be happy she has a guy who's respectful enough not to try anything anyways when she tells him No.

That's one of the things she loves about me: the fact that I'm respectful. Normally I would never make assumptions. Or go against what she says. It's confusing because she EXPLICITLY told me not to listen in this instance. I wouldn't extrapolate it elsewhere, but I'm still conflicted. Legitimacy is everything to me. It's less than meaningless to me if they don't want it. But she told me she does regardless of what she says. So I don't know what to do.