Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2019, 6:38 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
sly279 wrote:
I’m going only swipe right in bigger less attractive women near by, and swipe left on thin attractive ones and ones outside of 10 miles.

Think it’ll help?

Suggestion: IGNORE physical appearance completely either way, and focus solely on location plus what the "brief summary" says (if anything) about their hobbies/interests, their religion, their life goals, and what they expect/require in a relationship.

(I'm assuming that the summary contains these things. If it doesn't, then the dating app is completely useless IMO.)

Don't assume that ALL women, even all good-looking women, are going to judge you based on your appearance.

"Swipe right" on anyone nearby who shares at least one of your hobbies/interests (the more, the better) and doesn't have stated expectations/requirements incompatible with yours. "Swipe left" on anyone who lives two far away, or who doesn't share at least one of your hobbies (or who, worse yet, doesn't even mention interests/hobbies at all) or who has incompatible requirements/expectations. If in doubt, prefer those who share your religion also.

Forget about looks on Tinder? HA!

You've never used tinder, have you? The app is based on looks and physical attraction. By default you're only swiping right or left based on people's pictures, and you have to actually click on their profile and go to another screen to see their bios. Bios have like a 200 character limit or something, so you can maybe write a whole paragraph at most. And most people seem to either just put in a one-line quip that's meant to be humorous or clever, or they have a few dot points briefly describing generally unimportant aspects about themselves, or what they're looking for.

Moreover, if you get no matches anyway, there's not much motivation to check out every individual profile for their bios, as this takes more time, and you're no more likely to get matches than if you're just swiping based on appearance. If you're getting a lot of matches then filtering through profiles based on bios makes sense, but if you're getting no matches, filtering through profiles based in their bios won't make any difference, and will just take five times as long to be done with your 100 swipes and get no matches anyway. There's no motivation to invest extra time in getting no matches. And anyway if you match with someone who's not compatible you can unmatch them, so it makes more sense to do what takes less time.

And yes, you're right that the vast majority of people care about looks, and that there are some exceptions, but you're not going to find those exceptions on tinder.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 5:27 am

^ not only Tinder, most dating sites are doing the same mechanism.

And I bet they did so based on years of research, nothing really changed from the old days really, but the Tinder mechanism is more honest now, while on the old versions (like the old Okc) people pretended that they don't care about looks but I bet they wouldn't even reply to someone they see as unattractive.

There's a huge difference between what people claim vs what people do instinctively, I bet some people don't even realize that they reject based on looks, or at least the looks/body is a major subconscious part of their rejection decision.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 5:34 am

blackicmenace wrote:
^I typically look at profiles and all the photos before I swipe and I would say most women that write anything in the profile usually hint to looking for a relationship and often tell people looking for a hook up or FWB to swipe left to save them the trouble. Even living in a tourist destination where I do see women in the area for vacation looking to party. Women that are open about looking for sex would be the minority.

And they don't need Tinder to find this.

blackicmenace is right, 99% of female profiles say things along the lines "No hookup" or "not looking for short terms". The "Tinder is for sex" is an outdated myth that has to die,
most women don't use apps for sex and I don't even get from where this belief even came from as it was always false since its first release.