Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:10 pm

nick007 wrote:
How do you know for sure he was interested in sex & not interested in you romantically or something :?: Die he say he wanted to F your brains out or something
Either way, he did wrong. It doesn't matter if he just wanted to meet over coffee or pull an all-night sex marathon. He hit on a customer, on company property, and on company time. In every reputable company I've ever worked for or with, that is an offense that usually results in immediate dismissal, if not only a few days off without pay to think about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:31 pm

The chap will have been fired by now, there would be too much of a chance that he could ruin the hotels reputation...
He took a risk with someone else's business and I have to agree that the outcome is not on you.

There is no way of knowing his intentions, but there were some negative signs, such as taking a risk with someone else's hard work to elevate himself.

I'm curious though, would you have accepted his offer of lunch if his gesture had been more modest (eg a free sandwich) and less grandiose (a hotel suite)?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:35 pm

Objection! Your Honor, defense is attempting to trick the witness into making an exculpatory conjecture...

;)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2019, 3:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
nick007 wrote:
How do you know for sure he was interested in sex & not interested in you romantically or something :?:
Either way, he did wrong. It doesn't matter if he just wanted to meet over coffee or pull an all-night sex marathon. He hit on a customer, on company property, and on company time. In every reputable company I've ever worked for or with, that is an offense that usually results in immediate dismissal, if not only a few days off without pay to think about it.
Since he made her feel uncomfortable I agree that he should get in trouble if he's not allowed to comp rooms like that &/or if he's not allowed to flirt with customers like that. That said I don't think he should be treated like he was only looking for sex & would of rapped her if she wouldn't put out. From what I had understood from her post, I thought she didn't feel threatened by him until after she talked with her friend. We could not tell what his intentions were & it seemed like ST was making an assumption when there was no hard evidence to support it. She had also said how she didn't want to get him in trouble & then mentioned that she reported him which did NOT make sense to me. She explained some & it's a little clearer to me. I still don't think he should be accused of only being interested in her for sex unless there's something else that she needs to explain to me cuz I'm missing some key information if there is.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Flirting with customers and clients is a fire-able offense under most anti-harassment rules. If a someone feels that he or she has been harassed by an employee, then he or she has not only the right, but the obligation to report it -- if only to prevent it (or something worse) from happening to someone else.

Sorry what rules are you talking about and what jurstriction? Normally fireable offences relate to contracts but also civil and criminal law. I was talking to the criminal threshold of sexual harassment not the civil threshold for being dismissed for sexual misconduct which is lower depending on jurisdiction.

Fnord wrote:
Not only that, but the clerk comped an upgrade against the company. This could be a criminal offense -- fraud, theft, and/or embezzlement.

How do you know this.? Do you knoe exactly how the upgrade was processed or what oppoval or authority was given for upgrades in general.

Fnord wrote:
If that clerk gets fired, then it is on HIS head, and not Summer's. Guilt-tripping a woman for reporting harassment is what enables people like that clerk to think that they can get away with trying to hook up on company time.

I didn't guilt trip anyone. That is her choice. I may need to re-read the thread to see if I missed something. Possibly I did.
I responded to what I understood from where I left off.

Quote:
I would have fired him on the spot.

Sure.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:53 pm

Quote:
How do you know this.? Do you exactly how the upgrade was processed or what oppoval or authority was given for this of upgrades in general

That is a fair point, there are a few assumptions due to gaps in the information.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:57 pm

nick007 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
nick007 wrote:
How do you know for sure he was interested in sex & not interested in you romantically or something :?:
Since he made her feel uncomfortable I agree that he should get in trouble if he's not allowed to comp rooms like that &/or if he's not allowed to flirt with customers like that. That said I don't think he should be treated like he was only looking for sex & would of rapped her if she wouldn't put out.
A man who would break corporate protocol will break other rules, as well.
nick007 wrote:
From what I had understood from her post, I thought she didn't feel threatened by him until after she talked with her friend.
Clue card says, "You're An Aspie. Social perceptions may be difficult. Consult a friend".
nick007 wrote:
We could not tell what his intentions were & it seemed like ST was making an assumption when there was no hard evidence to support it.
Such is the nature of harassment -- the perpetrators rarely ever leave any material evidence behind, and many have plausible deniability. In such causes, it's better to err on the side of safety and send the perpetrator packing.
nick007 wrote:
She had also said how she didn't want to get him in trouble & then mentioned that she reported him which did NOT make sense to me.
It doesn't have to make sense to you. Deal with it. I didn't want to send the guy who stole my camera to jail, but he broke the law. Even though I got my camera back, he still broke the law. It was the judge who sent him to jail, not me. It was the clerk's boss who fired him, not Summer.
nick007 wrote:
She explained some & it's a little clearer to me. I still don't think he should be accused of only being interested in her for sex unless there's something else that she needs to explain to me cuz I'm missing some key information if there is.
I have explained it to you. He hit on a customer, on company property, and on company time. If that isn't clear enough for you, then I don't know what would be.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:06 pm

Nitpicking aside, it was unprofessional behaviour and there's nothing nice about doing something for someone with ulterior motives.

Nick - nobody says he wanted to rape her 8O , but there's nothing nice about expecting a reward (even just her company or attention) for that kind of gesture and it's especially inappropriate with strangers and in a professional setting to boot.

This is why I taught my kids to never, ever accept any "free" things or favours from people they aren't really close to.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:08 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Flirting with customers and clients is a fire-able offense under most anti-harassment rules. If a someone feels that he or she has been harassed by an employee, then he or she has not only the right, but the obligation to report it -- if only to prevent it (or something worse) from happening to someone else.
Sorry what rules are you talking about and what jurstriction? Normally fireable offences relate to contracts but also civil and criminal law. I was talking to the criminal threshold of sexual harassment not the civil threshold for being dismissed for sexual misconduct which is lower depending on jurisdiction.
Corporate rules for employee behavior. Most reputable companies that I've worked for or with have this thing called an Employee Handbook, in which acceptable and unacceptable behaviors are spelled out -- you may have seen one (I hope you've read it). One of the standard rules under 'Harassment' includes asking for a date from co-workers, clients, and/or customers, and especially on company property and on company time.
0_equals_true wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Not only that, but the clerk comped an upgrade against the company. This could be a criminal offense -- fraud, theft, and/or embezzlement.
How do you know this.? Do you knoe exactly how the upgrade was processed or what oppoval or authority was given for upgrades in general.
Unless he was the manager, it is unlikely that he had the authority to comp an upgrade. Otherwise, ordinary clerks would be comping entire weekend stays for their friends and family. Every reputable company that I've worked with or for that has a comp policy requires authorization from a managment-level employee.
0_equals_true wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If that clerk gets fired, then it is on HIS head, and not Summer's. Guilt-tripping a woman for reporting harassment is what enables people like that clerk to think that they can get away with trying to hook up on company time.
I didn't guilt trip anyone. That is her choice. I may need to re-read the thread to see if I missed something. Possibly I did. I responded to what I understood from where I left off.
Fnord wrote:
I would have fired him on the spot.
Sure.
Count on it. I've initiated action against subordinates for harassment and similar offenses.

Last edited by Fnord on 13 May 2019, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:10 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Face of Boo, I made the Professional Zoned part up. :lol:

I talked to a good friend last night who I have known since high school and she said that it sounded like it was a form of sexual harassment by giving my a nice room for sexual favors in return which I would never do with anyone who works at a hotel.

I also felt that it was not appropriate for him to be flirting with guests while on the time clock and like Nick007 was saying, I didn't want him to blow it for himself and especially since he is supposed to be getting a master's in physics right now.

I think this is the part that I had issue with, the assumption of sexual harassment as a justification for action.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:20 pm

Amity wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Face of Boo, I made the Professional Zoned part up. I talked to a good friend last night who I have known since high school and she said that it sounded like it was a form of sexual harassment by giving my a nice room for sexual favors in return which I would never do with anyone who works at a hotel. I also felt that it was not appropriate for him to be flirting with guests while on the time clock and like Nick007 was saying, I didn't want him to blow it for himself and especially since he is supposed to be getting a master's in physics right now.
I think this is the part that I had issue with, the assumption of sexual harassment as the justification for action.
As broadly as sexual harassment is defined in most places of employment, a cheerful "Good Morning" could be enough to accuse someone of sexual harassment. A typical definition might say, "Any unwanted and or unwelcome attention or behavior of a sexual nature", leaving the "sexual" part up to the interpretation of the victim -- too much or too little eye contact, for example.

A smart and well-trained HR group will know what to look for -- certain patterns of behavior, like giving someone a gift and "suggesting" to meet them someplace outside of working hours and away from the workplace.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:25 pm

I'd like to point out that, as a hotel employee, he very well might've had access to spare room keys. If he thought he a a chance, it might've lead to him entering your room without your approval.

For future reference, be very careful about accepting "gifts" from random men.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:28 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
... it was unprofessional behaviour and there's nothing nice about doing something for someone with ulterior motives ... there's nothing nice about expecting a reward (even just her company or attention) for that kind of gesture and it's especially inappropriate with strangers and in a professional setting to boot.
That's a more concise explanation. Thank you.
BenderRodriguez wrote:
This is why I taught my kids to never, ever accept any "free" things or favours from people they aren't really close to.
Good deal! I told the same thing to my kids, and that if someone wanted to give them a gift, they should check with me first. You can never be certain whether someone is just being nice or trying to 'groom' them, so it's better to err on the side of their safety.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:31 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I'd like to point out that, as a hotel employee, he very well might've had access to spare room keys. If he thought he a a chance, it might've lead to him entering your room without your approval. For future reference, be very careful about accepting "gifts" from random men.
I learned that this is a rule that even men should follow -- Beware of Strangers Bearing Gifts. You never know what they may expect in return.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ulterior motive. If his only purpose in comping the upgrade was to improve his employer's image, then there is no harassment. But he comped the upgrade for the apparent purpose of trying to score with a customer (and appearances count) -- he is not being paid to hit on customers, but to provide a service for them.

Again what exactly are you talking about here? You appear to be talking about either crime of harassment or a comoany code of conduct, and the motivation for such. Yet most of what you say isn't nessarily pertinent. However motivation only really relates to intent if they can demonstrate the harassing behaviour. But harassment could be proven or disproven independent of those factors.
Fnord wrote:
]WRONG. It's harassment whether or not she gives any indication that his intentions are unwanted -- there is no "first-time freebie" -- and she doesn't even have to give a warning.
Criminally that obviously depends on the actual law in said jurisdiction that happens to use the term "harassment"
However if we were to generalise repition is a fairly typical requirement of anti-harassment legislation for most clauses/categories. There is of course other legislation which regard to other interactions.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:34 pm

Well, the man in question is certainly idiot, that's for sure.