Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
This is why I taught my kids to never, ever accept any "free" things or favours from people they aren't really close to.
Good deal! I told the same thing to my kids, and that if someone wanted to give them a gift, they should check with me first. You can never be certain whether someone is just being nice or trying to 'groom' them, so it's better to err on the side of their safety.

^
Call me a paranoid old man if you will, but I think it's a good rule for adults too. My own observation is that more often than not "free" things end up being the most expensive.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
Unless he was the manager, it is unlikely that he had the authority to comp an upgrade. Otherwise, ordinary clerks would be comping entire weekend stays for their friends and family.

Exactly. Assuming that is the case how do you know how the update was processed?

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 13 May 2019, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:39 pm

Pay attention. A company Code of Conduct can make it a dismissable offense to ask for a date -- as long as the dismissal is not related to the harasser's own sex, color, religion, et cetera -- it is perfectly legal to fire someone for sexual harassment.

People have even been fired for retaliating against their victims for reporting them to HR, even after the original charge of sexual harassment has been dismissed.

Firing someone becomes a matter of law only when discriminatory firing occurs, and it is not illegal to fire someone who asks for a date from a co-worker while on company property and company time.

Defending sexual harassment and abuse of position makes no sense at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:41 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Unless he was the manager, it is unlikely that he had the authority to comp an upgrade. Otherwise, ordinary clerks would be comping entire weekend stays for their friends and family.
Exactly. Assuming that is the case how do you know how the update was processed?
Why are you attacking ME? I don't make the rules (well, not all of them, anyway).

And why are you defending the clerk? He was obviously in the wrong, no matter how you look at it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:44 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Fnord wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
This is why I taught my kids to never, ever accept any "free" things or favours from people they aren't really close to.
Good deal! I told the same thing to my kids, and that if someone wanted to give them a gift, they should check with me first. You can never be certain whether someone is just being nice or trying to 'groom' them, so it's better to err on the side of their safety.
Call me a paranoid old man if you will, but I think it's a good rule for adults too. My own observation is that more often than not "free" things end up being the most expensive.
It's a good rule, period ("full stop")!

TANSTAAFL!

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Amity wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Face of Boo, I made the Professional Zoned part up. I talked to a good friend last night who I have known since high school and she said that it sounded like it was a form of sexual harassment by giving my a nice room for sexual favors in return which I would never do with anyone who works at a hotel. I also felt that it was not appropriate for him to be flirting with guests while on the time clock and like Nick007 was saying, I didn't want him to blow it for himself and especially since he is supposed to be getting a master's in physics right now.
I think this is the part that I had issue with, the assumption of sexual harassment as the justification for action.
As broadly as sexual harassment is defined in most places of employment, a cheerful "Good Morning" could be enough to accuse someone of sexual harassment. A typical definition might say, "Any unwanted and or unwelcome attention or behavior of a sexual nature", leaving the "sexual" part up to the interpretation of the victim -- too much or too little eye contact, for example.

A smart and well-trained HR group will know what to look for -- certain patterns of behavior, like giving someone a gift and "suggesting" to meet them someplace outside of working hours and away from the workplace.

Where does it stop though... will i be the next to be accused of some form of harassment based on assumptions... I hope not.
Customers have too much power and employees are too disposable.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Pay attention. A company Code of Conduct can make it a dismissable offense to ask for a date -- as long as the dismissal is not related to the harasser's own sex, color, religion, et cetera -- it is perfectly legal to fire someone for sexual harassment.

Sure the civil bar of sexual misconduct.

I dispute I'm defending sexual harassment, that is simply not the case.

This forum is not a court.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:50 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

You're obviously not active much lately here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:53 pm

Amity wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Amity wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:
Face of Boo, I made the Professional Zoned part up. I talked to a good friend last night who I have known since high school and she said that it sounded like it was a form of sexual harassment by giving my a nice room for sexual favors in return which I would never do with anyone who works at a hotel. I also felt that it was not appropriate for him to be flirting with guests while on the time clock and like Nick007 was saying, I didn't want him to blow it for himself and especially since he is supposed to be getting a master's in physics right now.
I think this is the part that I had issue with, the assumption of sexual harassment as the justification for action.
As broadly as sexual harassment is defined in most places of employment, a cheerful "Good Morning" could be enough to accuse someone of sexual harassment. A typical definition might say, "Any unwanted and or unwelcome attention or behavior of a sexual nature", leaving the "sexual" part up to the interpretation of the victim -- too much or too little eye contact, for example. A smart and well-trained HR group will know what to look for -- certain patterns of behavior, like giving someone a gift and "suggesting" to meet them someplace outside of working hours and away from the workplace.
Where does it stop though... will i be the next to be accused of some form of harassment based on assumptions... I hope not.
Customers have too much power and employees are too disposable.
Just be on your best behavior at all times, and never, ever even give the appearance of personal interest in anyone else while on the job.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
This is the Court of Aspie Opinion, where nothing is completely settled until a mod locks the thread.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 5:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Why are you attacking ME? I don't make the rules (well, not all of them, anyway).

I'm not attacking you. Why do you think that? Couldn't be further from the truth. Just replying

Btw the point was actually about: Just because it is common for upgrades to requiring approval doesn't mean you know if the approval wasn't granted or under what basis the upgrade was given.

Fnord wrote:
And why are you defending the clerk? He was obviously in the wrong, no matter how you look at it.

Well we don't know the employee. You were bringing up two sides of the law and I was simply commenting.

Criminally there is high threshold for a reason. You suggested other crimes besides harassment, I was commenting on that.

I'm not appealing to emotion. All of this is aledged.

I made it clear she was within her rights to report him after she decided to.

There is also good personal safety advice on this thread.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 5:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
This is the Court of Aspie Opinion, where nothing is completely settled until a mod locks the thread.

Lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 5:37 pm

I don't think the guy would have given an "upgrade" to another man (unless he is gay).

It's pretty obvious the guy wanted something. The question is: how aggressive was he willing to pursue what he "wanted?"

When you're in a place like a hotel, you have to be extra-cautious.

I would say it's quite, quite likely that the guy had a romantic/sexual interest in Summer.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 6:19 pm

I sensed that from the moment he called to talk to me after I was already in the process of putting things away. Like I said though, I made a habit of avoiding him and letting him do his job. All the while, talking to his manager at the right time because I cannot go somewhere and feel unsafe. I am waiting to hear back from him

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 6:54 pm

Fnord wrote:

People have even been fired for retaliating against their victims for reporting them to HR, even after the original charge of sexual harassment has been dismissed.

Firing someone becomes a matter of law only when discriminatory firing occurs, and it is not illegal to fire someone who asks for a date from a co-worker while on company property and company time.

Defending sexual harassment and abuse of position makes no sense at all.

Not all companies have a code of conduct and the ones who do won’t all have the same one and will disagree on ideas of conduct

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 7:01 pm

The other personnel at the hotel yesterday were agreed that his actions were inappropriate.