Page 3 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 8:14 am

I've seen overweight firemen....and obese cops.

I know what you mean, though.

It is likely that Marknis, being in a sedentary job for a long time, isn't in "prime" physical shape.

Then again, I'm not, either. I'm not in "bad" shape, and I can probably pass the minimum requirements for being a cop or fireman (and can certainly pass the requirements for the Armed Forces), but there's much more to being a cop or fireman than mere physical strength and agility.

It's good that Marknis is sticking to the library job for now.

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2019, 9:18 am

Edited

Last edited by Zack1994 on 29 May 2019, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 9:24 am

I've known people who are unfit/overweight get themselves into shape to join the military or fire service. If you're serious enough then a couple of months at the gym or running will help... you may even get to like it. You just don't want to be the unfittest guy in the class on day one.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 9:49 am

naturalplastic wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Are you sure your therapist said " You don't want them to come off like a predator" - that's crazy talk

It's best not to come across desperate but the thoughts you have does not make you a predator - tell your therapist Ferris said she's a quack.

Since his therapist sees him in person, she might be more knowledgeable about how he comes across than we are.

Why the f**k did you comment then ?

Umm...that was rude.

I was just sharing my personal experience of how it feels when I’m talking to someone and his mind appears to be elsewhere. I wasn’t referring to the “predator” comment.

I’m not sure why we would question the potentially helpful advice she was offering. This could be a path towards progress for Marknis.

Well I was referring to the predator comment , If you think "Should I ask for her number?", "Does she already have a boyfriend?", "Has my time finally come?", "Does she even find me attractive?", are predator thoughts you're mental

What the heck are you talking about?

What am I talking about ? Hmmm :scratch:

I thought I was typing in English - clearly not.

The THOUGHTS Mark said he had does not constitute a predator. <THIS IS MY f*****g POINT

naturalplastic wrote:
What he is THINKING about at that moment in question is not the point.

Seeing as that was what his OP was about it was exactly the point.

I didn't agree with his therapists terminology - bang out of order

naturalplastic wrote:
Its his outward demeanor. How he looks. A socially inept and impaired male person maybe innocent as a baby, but can come off Looking threatening. That's the point. Loitering around and getting wound up into obsessive thoughts might make you look odd, and could make you look like a predator.

More guesswork about Marks demeanor when he has these thoughts :roll:

WTF is wrong with people here - rhetorical question

I think I'm on a different wrong planet :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 10:29 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Well I was referring to the predator comment , If you think "Should I ask for her number?", "Does she already have a boyfriend?", "Has my time finally come?", "Does she even find me attractive?", are predator thoughts you're mental

Of course these are not, in themselves, "predator thoughts." But they can impel a completely innnocent man (especially a man who is socially awkward to begin with) to behave in ways that can come across to too many women like a possible "predator." Keep in mind, too, that most women need to err on the side of safety, simply because most men are physically stronger than most women.

Alas, an awareness of these facts can create a vicious circle for the man, making him worry even more about how he's coming across, making him behave even more awkwardly, hence even more "creepily" in the eyes of some women.

All the worse might this vicious circle be for an autistic man who, even in everyday interactions not related to dating, may be constantly worrying about stuff like whether he's making the right amount of eye contact or smiling enough.

This is one of the reasons why, in my opinion, we need to work on building autistic-friendly social spaces where oddities in body language are socially accepted, so we all can just stop worrying about this crap.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 May 2019, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 10:42 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Of course these are not, in themselves, "predator thoughts." .

I know , that's what I said.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 10:44 am

Mark, can you post a video of yourself?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:04 am

rdos wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The best marriages that I've observed are those where the couple are good, maybe even best, friends, as well as being turned on by each other.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but the order doesn't need to be: Friend -> relationship. Could also be: Crush -> relationship -> best friends.

In theory the latter may be possible, but that's unlikely. It seems to me that, for many people including many autistic people, a crush tends to impel behavior that makes it harder, not easier, for a relationship to develop.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:12 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I was talking to my therapist about how whenever I interact with female strangers, my mind will cycle through thoughts like "Should I ask for her number?", "Does she already have a boyfriend?", "Has my time finally come?", "Does she even find me attractive?", and other thoughts that honestly make me crazy. Her response was basically this: "Just be friendly with women. Don't have any ulterior motives. You don't want to come off like a predator. You need to get to know them first."

Marknis,
Many people on the spectrum will feel their mind cycle when they are speaking to someone, regardless of whether the person is a potential date. It's common for autistic people to try masking their differences or to feel anxious about what to say / how to act. When I speak to anyone, even a cashier in a shop, my mind is whirling much like yours. I'm worrying if I'm making enough eye contact or not enough eye contact, or staring ... how often to blink, when to laugh, when it's my turn to speak, etc. I can imagine that as an autistic man speaking to an attractive woman this anxiety would be even more pronounced.

For your therapist to say (basically) "Don't ruminate on those thoughts", it is in a sense invalidating your struggle. It would be comparable to my therapist telling me to avoid selective mutism by "speaking up". It's good advice for you to focus on enjoying the moment, and it's good advice for me to speak up, but we both need more specific strategies which consider our difficulties in social communication.

For her to add that you don't want to appear like a predator, when you've already expressed anxiety around women ... well, I don't think that was very professional at all. She could have worded the same idea differently, without adding to your stress or your feelings of inadequacy.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

To SaveFerris: Does the above explain what you are objecting to?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:20 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Of course these are not, in themselves, "predator thoughts." .

I know , that's what I said.

Then perhaps you and various other people had a misunderstanding in this thread? No one else here said that the above-quoted thoughts are actual "predator thoughts" either. Nor is that what Marknis's therapist said.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 May 2019, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:26 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Mark, can you post a video of yourself?

I don't think we should be encouraging people here to post videos of themselves -- unless they plan to become autism-community public figures, and, even then, they should consider carefully the possible consequences before doing anything that would break their anonymity.

We need to respect people's privacy here, in my opinion.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:41 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Marknis wrote:
I was talking to my therapist about how whenever I interact with female strangers, my mind will cycle through thoughts like "Should I ask for her number?", "Does she already have a boyfriend?", "Has my time finally come?", "Does she even find me attractive?", and other thoughts that honestly make me crazy. Her response was basically this: "Just be friendly with women. Don't have any ulterior motives. You don't want to come off like a predator. You need to get to know them first."

Marknis,
Many people on the spectrum will feel their mind cycle when they are speaking to someone, regardless of whether the person is a potential date. It's common for autistic people to try masking their differences or to feel anxious about what to say / how to act. When I speak to anyone, even a cashier in a shop, my mind is whirling much like yours. I'm worrying if I'm making enough eye contact or not enough eye contact, or staring ... how often to blink, when to laugh, when it's my turn to speak, etc. I can imagine that as an autistic man speaking to an attractive woman this anxiety would be even more pronounced.

For your therapist to say (basically) "Don't ruminate on those thoughts", it is in a sense invalidating your struggle. It would be comparable to my therapist telling me to avoid selective mutism by "speaking up". It's good advice for you to focus on enjoying the moment, and it's good advice for me to speak up, but we both need more specific strategies which consider our difficulties in social communication.

For her to add that you don't want to appear like a predator, when you've already expressed anxiety around women ... well, I don't think that was very professional at all. She could have worded the same idea differently, without adding to your stress or your feelings of inadequacy.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Blimey , I'm really struggling here. I am going to try and explain one more time , if it doesn't get through , I give up.

I said the therapists comments were BS regarding coming across as a predator due to Marknis stated thoughts.

Having these thoughts do not make you a predator , that's all I f*****g said.

Then I was told "Since his therapist sees him in person, she might be more knowledgeable about how he comes across than we are."

I said "Why did you f*****g comment then?"

Then members all became psychic & s**t and knew exactly how the OP's demeanor is when they have no f*****g clue.

Then it just appears members think I disagreed with the therapist advice when actually I agreed with her advice in my first post , I just didn't like the words she used.

If you can't understand this, my communication skills are getting worse , what's the f*****g point :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 11:49 am

Fnord wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
Sounds like she gave you sound advice, you should take it.
Perfectly sound advice, because (1) she’s a professional therapist, and (2) she’s a woman. Either count makes her knowledgeable. Both counts make her an expert.
Twilightprincess wrote:
Since his therapist sees him in person, she might be more knowledgeable about how he comes across than we are.
That would be Reason #3.

People are second-guessing the therapist as if they know the OP better than the therapist, AND as if they know therapy better than the therapist.

There’s a lot of pride and presumption going on around here, and none of it is doing the OP any good. We should all just let his therapist do her job.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 12:15 pm

Fnord wrote:

There’s a lot of pride and presumption going on around here, and none of it is doing the OP any good. We should all just let his therapist do her job.

:roll:

Why all of sudden are you concerned that posts are doing the OP no good , it hasn't bothered or stopped you before.
Or has the penny finally dropped for you ?

And I'd better add I agree about letting the therapist do her job, before someone thinks that's my disaproval

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 12:19 pm

I think it's going to be tough to tell when someone is a predator because they act just like everyone else. But the difference is they have ulterior motives. Everyone else just has a motive to meet women and to date them and get to know them to see if they are compatible. By the time you know they are a predator, it's too late. That is what having a ulterior motive is. No one is supposed to know it, not even NTs. I think it just takes social skills to do it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 12:39 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Blimey , I'm really struggling here. I am going to try and explain one more time , if it doesn't get through , I give up.

I said the therapists comments were BS regarding coming across as a predator due to Marknis stated thoughts.

Having these thoughts do not make you a predator , that's all I f*****g said.

Of course having these thoughts does not make you a "predator." But do you understand the difference between "coming across as a predator" and actually being a "predator"?

(Not only are these two things not the same, they may even have a negative correlation with each other.)

Marknis didn't say his therapist accused him of actually being a "predator," but only that his therapist cautioned him against coming across like a "predator."

SaveFerris wrote:
Then I was told "Since his therapist sees him in person, she might be more knowledgeable about how he comes across than we are."

I said "Why did you f*****g comment then?"

Probably because you appeared to be confusing "coming across as a predator" with actually being a "predator"?

SaveFerris wrote:
Then members all became psychic & s**t and knew exactly how the OP's demeanor is when they have no f*****g clue.

I don't recall anyone claiming to know exactly how the OP's demeanor is. Can you quote an example of someone claiming to know this, rather than just making guesses as to the possibilities?

SaveFerris wrote:
Then it just appears members think I disagreed with the therapist advice when actually I agreed with her advice in my first post , I just didn't like the words she used.

Indeed it can be argued that her wording was insensitive.

But the issue isn't simply that thoughts like "Should I ask for her number?", "Does she already have a boyfriend?", "Has my time finally come?", "Does she even find me attractive?" do not make someone an actual "predator," because no one here claimed that they do make someone an actual "predator." Nor did the therapist make that claim, as far as I can tell. What the therapist said pertained only to how a man can "come across" in the eyes of women.

SaveFerris wrote:
If you can't understand this, my communication skills are getting worse , what's the f*****g point :roll:

You clearly are having a misunderstanding of some sort with most of the other people here. I'm trying to get at the bottom of it. Perhaps the very idea of someone "coming across as a predator" is emotionally triggering for you?

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 May 2019, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.