Someone special is back in my life a bit.

Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 6:07 am

So now you hate me, fine.

Question: Does this special one ever initiates texting with you?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 11:13 am

I didn't say that, but you have the wrong idea about me. It's common knowledge among my friends that I'm too awkward to text. The only person who regularly messages me at all, I've known since 2nd grade. My other friends almost completely avoid electronic communication with me, which is a relief.

I'd rather be someone's friend for life than the idiot who gives up because of social anxiety.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 11:29 am

Whatever makes you happy.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 1:18 pm

:lol: Texting does more or less anything but make me happy. I think the instant pestering fad has made everyone more anxious & less trusting.

Bottom line, I don't think people in general should give up on each other. I know enough to be sure I shouldn't totally ignore someone close to me just because I'm not NT.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 2:50 pm

cberg wrote:
I like where this is going logically; I'm just weird. There's some reciprocity missing here that I need to restart one way or another. There are no baskets or eggs in my world, the food fight is either still happening or just recently concluded.

So you're saying you can't throw eggs? Lol

I don't think it's that you're "just weird". You're an individual with certain challenges that has resulted in your own brand of thinking, methods, and philosophies.

I believe Boo has a misconception of what you're after right now. I feel like he has an idea that you're living in a fantasy that this woman is already into you and you're both going to go running into a romantic sunset while holding hands. Or something like that.

I don't believe you have any such expectation. You're largely just looking to be closer to her, even if that ends up meaning just being very good friends. You are wishing to express your feelings.

I don't want to put words in your moth though so correct me if I've landed off base.

I agree texting can cause more anxieties. There's been some studies on this. I think it's used too much as a way to avoid more personal interaction also. The thing the bugs me about it is apparently there are some texts you're supposed to reply immediately to and others not at all to??

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 9:10 pm

Alterity gets it. I'm not trying to move fast with this at all. I don't follow the modern philosophy of just booting someone out of my life because we don't understand each other yet. I'm only focused on putting us both at ease, first things' first. I'd say we're probably both aromantic to some degree. Different days, different struggles. Again, I'm not someone you would typecast as particularly sexual at all, so I don't expect all this to make sense immediately.

It is what it is & I want us to make the best of things.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 12:08 pm

I think the problem with my thread is that naysayers about relationships with ASD can be hostile & prejudiced. Not many people care about how we're represented. Everyone expects a guy like me to be creepy, demanding & ignorant. Frankly I actually do give a damn so can we please stop acting like the social skills I do have are fake?

To me, this double standard is just as bad as us saying we're somehow superior to NTs. Give it a rest guys, women seem perfectly capable of seeing the intricacies here, most of the guys who respond to my threads in L&D seem to think I'm disqualified from all this by default. There's no rules about any of this, they're all made up. I'll take relationship anarchy any day rather than getting sidetracked by labels, expectations & societal norms. I don't need anyone else's approval to have a love life. Peace.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 3:05 pm

Quote:
I believe Boo has a misconception of what you're after right now. I feel like he has an idea that you're living in a fantasy that this woman is already into you and you're both going to go running into a romantic sunset while holding hands. Or something like that.

I'm afraid more or less everyone else sees it this way, or my thread wouldn't just sporadically die. People are not supportive of this. There's a presumption that if I love anybody, it must be fake since I had to imitate everyone else to get anywhere in the first place.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 3:08 pm

Haven't read the thread, just responding to the original post - Congratulations, I'm happy for you!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 3:18 pm

Key word there is a bit. I'm happy to be around but I'm not personally significant to anyone, or at least that's Boo's contention. I've been trying to make myself more presentable & focus on work.

According to most other guys, I should just forget about getting close to anyone, but that's not really what my thread's about.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm

What exactly are you looking for in your friend? I read the thread and I just got increasingly confused as to what you wanted advise on. Are you aiming for a romantic relationship, or a friend? Or are you just trying to grow closer to her? You tend to write in a bit of a convoluted matter so I think I am missing the point, lol.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 12:09 am

For the moment I'd rather be simply spending more time with her. I've been spending most of my energy on work for a long time lately & I'm pretty out of touch socially.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2019, 3:37 am

cberg wrote:
For the moment I'd rather be simply spending more time with her. I've been spending most of my energy on work for a long time lately & I'm pretty out of touch socially.

Do you two have common interests? Getting out and about is always nice as long as it's in a comfortable environment. Hiking is a good excuse to get out with someone, for example. Outdoor activities in general, since they don't require a lot of serious thought and there aren't too many social expectations.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 6:33 am

I had a chance to do texting with my loved one a few years ago, but decided not to and then she inactivated the FB user . I can still see I have a single friend though, and I still enjoy monologuing for her. :-)

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 1:34 pm

Let me see if I understand this...You recently got back in touch with a girl that was a very significant part of your life. You love this girl but not in the same way that others define "love". You want to be close to her but, everyone else assumes you mean romantically and want to get married and have sex with her.

You want to express how much she means to you without it sounding romantic and you coming off as creepy cause the feeling is very strong.

From what it sounds like, you want a strong emotional connection with her but, platonic not romantically. I guess like having a significant other but, not romantic?

Did I get it, or am I wrong?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 2:15 pm

I sure wouldn't mind things turning romantic but there's a lot of complex history between us so I'm being as patient as I can about that. In short, one issue is that I'm seen as too platonic. :(