What do you guys think of Match.com?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:08 pm

Are those profiles real or fake? I'm not paying anything to use it. I like browsing through it.

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:11 pm

As a rule, all autistic people should avoid all dating sites and the misery they bring.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:11 pm

BDavro wrote:
As a rule, all autistic people should avoid all dating sites and the misery they bring.
What misery?

BDavro
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:13 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
BDavro wrote:
What misery?

Well, we just don't belong there and no good will ever come of it.

If you are male then you will get nothing but rejection, if female you will get nothing but pump and dump.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2019, 8:57 pm

A few people on here got into good relationships from online dating. So it can happen.

I think you need to have a lot of tenacity and patience to sort through a lot of riff raff, but you can meet some genuine people if you're up to the challenge.

If you're female and your country allows it, carry self defense on all first dates.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 1:48 pm

I tried it a long time ago. You have to buy a subscription to be able to do anything whatsoever there (except browse). The women you're messaging also have to buy a subscription to message you back. Lastly, the men to women ratio is probably 10:1 (100:1 for paid subscriptions). I like to think of it more as a ponzi scheme than a dating site.

Last edited by Kurgan on 07 Sep 2019, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 1:53 pm

I hated it. No replies despite my best efforts. My redneck father used it and it worked for him since his status as a doctor makes a lot of women think he’s rich.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Sep 2019, 6:15 pm

Kurgan wrote:
I tried it a long time ago. You have to buy a subscription to be able to do anything whatsoever there (except browse). The women you're messaging also have to buy a subscription to message you back. Lastly, the men to women ratio is probably 10:1 (100:1 for paid subscriptions). I like to think of it more as a ponzi scheme than a dating site.
I know what you mean. I tried it years ago too & like Marknis I had NO luck at all. Some paid dating sites try to increase the women to men ratio by letting the women join & do most things for free while requiring the men to pay.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2019, 8:10 pm

nick007 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
I know what you mean. I tried it years ago too & like Marknis I had NO luck at all. Some paid dating sites try to increase the women to men ratio by letting the women join & do most things for free while requiring the men to pay.

It also disgusts me how my redneck father keeps getting women, even ones my age while I can’t even get a coffee date. I remember one time I was eating at his house and a girl my age at the time (early 20’s) came in. She sat with my father on the couch and cuddled with him. I was so distraught that I walked out.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 1:18 am

I tried match.com, eharmony.com, pof.com, chemistry.com & more dating sites, LOL. I talked to alot of men on OkCupid, I really liked that site, I found a guy there.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2019, 4:11 pm

There are some decent quality people there but of course from a male perspective, the message reply rate can be between 25-50 messages sent to 1 response per rate if not more. There are easy red flags to spot on this site. I say stay away from the profiles with only one picture or a copy and paste sentence as a an intro. The profiles with no effort put into but have one pretty picture is a give away. My other advice for match is don't bother messaging anyone who hasn't been active on the site for more than 3 days at most. There are green and orange dots that indicate activity and once there is no dot with their profile, don't bother.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2019, 1:48 pm

Going to second Kitty's endorsement of OKC. I'm divorced, overweight, balding and pushing 60. I have HF-ASD out front in my profile. I get messages now and then and have made a couple of good friends. One definitely has the potential to become something more and it seems like we're headed in that direction.

If you don't like dating sites, church groups or clubs are a possibility.

I have more success making friends first. After a few months, things may evolve. Don't push it. Talk. A LOT. Communicate. Be yourself. Things will pretty much happen on their own, even for Aspies. If nothing happens other than friendship, you have a good friend. If things evolve romantically, make sure you stay friends while you're also dating/in a relationship/whatever you want to call it. This process works well for me. Conventional dating is always a spectacular failure (I may have a really high IQ and some learned social skills, but I'm still an Aspie).

ShyGirl7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2019, 12:28 pm

Marknis wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

It also disgusts me how my redneck father keeps getting women, even ones my age while I can’t even get a coffee date. I remember one time I was eating at his house and a girl my age at the time (early 20’s) came in. She sat with my father on the couch and cuddled with him. I was so distraught that I walked out.

You really need to get out of there, Sweetie. God wants you to be happy.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 2:27 am

I am no one’s “sweetie” and God is a dick if he is real since he’s not helping babies suffering from cancer. Stop with the unfounded claims that essentially say “I have no proof but trust me, ok?”