Difference between FwB and boyfriend relationships?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 2:33 am

I know there are 3 types of relationships:

Sex friend - someone you meet with just for sex.
FwB - someone you are friends with but also have sex.
Boyfriend - someone you are dating.

Sexfriend would be nice but I would like to make sure they will at least pay for a kid if we have an accident.

FwB sounds like an ideal relationship - you spend time together, have common interests, you can even share a flat with (be roommates) and you have sex but there is no pressure for dating, being romantic, meeting families and stuff. And there is some trust so you know he won't leave you alone if you get pregnant.

But boyfriend? It sounds like a pain. First you date, then you get romantic, then you kiss, even in public, you meet their friends and family and eventually have sex while thinking about the future together. I don't like it.

Does that mean I prefer FwB relationships or my definitions are wrong?

I don't want to do the family meetings, kiss in public, date, be romantic and I wouldn't mind so much if they had sex with someone else as long as the sex is save and I am aware of them having another sex partner (I am often not in the mood for meeting anyone and sometimes I am on my period or ovulating so it's not like I can have sex all the time, actually I refuse quite often).
Unless they would be in an actual relationship - I don't have sex with people in relationships because it would be cheating and I wouldn't want to be hated by their girlfriend (I probably wouldn't mind a threesome though).
As for how I would feel if they told me one day they fell in love with someone else and want to stop doing that kind of things with me - I would be hurt for a day or two and then accept that as karma.

I am theorizing because I don't have much experience about relationships anyway. I was in love 3 times so far (nothing come out from that), had a FwB relationship once (I didn't like the partner sexually but his touch felt like a massage so it was fine) and right now I just started a relationship which status is still unclear (we met 3 times and had sex once, there is "a spark" sexually, I like his body, he likes my and we have common interests). I am not sure what should I make of it. I really don't want a "boyfriend" and I am also quite afraid because the guy reminds me of my father sometimes (it's apparently normal for girls to look for guys somehow similar to their father) and I am afraid if might be an unhealthy relationship because I come from an abusive family (I am that kind of person that will escape the relationship if it gets bad enough though, unlike my mother I am not afraid to be alone).

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 2:57 am

Didn’t know you lived in krakow.

Why don’t you like the meeting family friends, kissing etc?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 3:41 am

Kiriae wrote:
I know there are 3 types of relationships:

Sex friend - someone you meet with just for sex.
FwB - someone you are friends with but also have sex.
Boyfriend - someone you are dating.

Sexfriend would be nice but I would like to make sure they will at least pay for a kid if we have an accident.

FwB sounds like an ideal relationship - you spend time together, have common interests, you can even share a flat with (be roommates) and you have sex but there is no pressure for dating, being romantic, meeting families and stuff. And there is some trust so you know he won't leave you alone if you get pregnant.

But boyfriend? It sounds like a pain. First you date, then you get romantic, then you kiss, even in public, you meet their friends and family and eventually have sex while thinking about the future together. I don't like it.

Does that mean I prefer FwB relationships or my definitions are wrong?

I don't want to do the family meetings, kiss in public, date, be romantic and I wouldn't mind so much if they had sex with someone else as long as the sex is save and I am aware of them having another sex partner (I am often not in the mood for meeting anyone and sometimes I am on my period or ovulating so it's not like I can have sex all the time, actually I refuse quite often).
Unless they would be in an actual relationship - I don't have sex with people in relationships because it would be cheating and I wouldn't want to be hated by their girlfriend (I probably wouldn't mind a threesome though).
As for how I would feel if they told me one day they fell in love with someone else and want to stop doing that kind of things with me - I would be hurt for a day or two and then accept that as karma.

I am theorizing because I don't have much experience about relationships anyway. I was in love 3 times so far (nothing come out from that), had a FwB relationship once (I didn't like the partner sexually but his touch felt like a massage so it was fine) and right now I just started a relationship which status is still unclear (we met 3 times and had sex once, there is "a spark" sexually, I like his body, he likes my and we have common interests). I am not sure what should I make of it. I really don't want a "boyfriend" and I am also quite afraid because the guy reminds me of my father sometimes (it's apparently normal for girls to look for guys somehow similar to their father) and I am afraid if might be an unhealthy relationship because I come from an abusive family (I am that kind of person that will escape the relationship if it gets bad enough though, unlike my mother I am not afraid to be alone).

I come from a similar family, abusive, violent father and submissive, neglecting mother and I have learned to believe that this can cause complex PTSD which prevents healthy, intimate attachments. You are young and I really hope that you will find a therapist, if you wish, who can help you learn to re-program the way you experience men, develop trust and feel nurtured. You have expressed exactly the way I have interacted with men, and always choosing the "bad" guys. It doesn't have to prevent you from attaching to a nice guy and experiencing love as well as sex. We can get better at trusting men and inviting them into our vulnerable hearts. I am in therapy now and it is really healing me so please don't lose hope :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 6:23 am

I haven’t seen you in a while, Kiriae. Welcome back.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 7:40 am

The sex via FWB is superior, because as a guy I am 100% sure that she's having sex with me out of desire not out of convenience/benefits, ironically it should not be called Friends with Benefits but rather Friends with pure attraction, in reality the benefits exist in marriage/LT.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Sep 2019, 1:03 pm

Me & my current girlfriend don't do kissing a whole lot, I'm not into it & we never done the whole going out on dates thing either. Neither of us has any offline friends that we see regularly & she does spend a bit of time with her family but most of the time she visits them for the weekend while I stay here. We don't have sex that often either thou, it's been half a year since the last time we've done anything. I wouldn't mind doing it more but she has various pain & other physical & some mental issues she's dealing with & she hasn't felt good enough to feel up to doing anything sexually. Some people might describe our relationship as just friends but we do spend a lot of time together & we're very affectionate with each other & are both committed/devoted to each other.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 1:34 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The sex via FWB is superior, because as a guy I am 100% sure that she's having sex with me out of desire not out of convenience/benefits, ironically it should not be called Friends with Benefits but rather Friends with pure attraction, in reality the benefits exist in marriage/LT.

Well put.
The reason I only do FwB.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 1:31 am

Closet Genious wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Well put.
The reason I only do FwB.

Sadly it's rare to find women who want it.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 1:57 am

sly279 wrote:
Didn’t know you lived in krakow.

Why don’t you like the meeting family friends, kissing etc?

Yeah, I moved about 2 years ago.

Meeting family and friends is just a hassle. I just don't like spending time with people who wont even understand me. I have a roommate/friend now and she is introducing me to her friends but It makes me feel even more alone because I can see how much I stand out. And they dare to tell me I "shouldn't be so guarded" and "must spend more time with people". Yeah, right. When I am in a group od strangers or a group of normies I just stay in a corner and listen to their small talk, trying to join the conversation but saying something weird. It's boring and embarrassing.

And kissing in public is embarrassing too. I believe sexual relationships should stay hidden regardless of gender (you don't see homos kissing in public so why is is considered normal for heteros to lick each other where everyone watches?). And also - if you kiss in public everyone knows you are a couple and they start asking you relationship details and you will be embarrassed if you seperate because everyone will be asking you why you are not hanging out anymore if you were so in love with each other. And then everyone you know you simply suck at relationships. It's easier to deal with breaking up when noone knows you were dating because noone asks weird questions and noone judges you.
Also for me a kiss is something you do when you are aroused and about to have sex or during sex. I don't see a point in kissing as a social gesture. It actually feels disgusting if I am not already aroused.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I haven’t seen you in a while, Kiriae. Welcome back.

I won't be back for long I think. Ever since I moved to Kraków I don't have much time to spend in front of the computer screen because I prefer to travel using public transport all day long. :D I am also attending some classes, therapy and recently I had a job and I am about to look for another one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 12:00 pm

I think you're right. You have the right to be affectionate in private, no matter your sexual orientation.

If somebody insists on kissing you in public, and you say no, that person should respect your decision.

Krakow is a nice, historical city. Very famous outside of Poland.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2019, 12:29 pm

There are different degrees of involvement/commitment in a relationship. I've had girlfriends who's families I never met and didn't do much of the other stuff either. We knew it was very unlikely for us to get married, have kids etc, we just enjoyed each others' company and the relationship as it was while it lasted.

It's not the most common thing, but it's possible.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 6:01 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
There are different degrees of involvement/commitment in a relationship. I've had girlfriends who's families I never met and didn't do much of the other stuff either. We knew it was very unlikely for us to get married, have kids etc, we just enjoyed each others' company and the relationship as it was while it lasted.

It's not the most common thing, but it's possible.

How does anyone even start being a couple? I know how to be sex friends and somehow how to be FwB (assuming they became my friends by themselves) but I have no clue how to turn a stranger into a boyfriend or a friend.

For now the relationship I have now seems to be heading towards the sex friends thing and I am not sure I like that.
I mean - the sex is good and I want to get more experiences but I would also like to have someone to share an apartment with in a few months and who wouldn't be a normie (I am not sure if he is a normie or not - he likes anime so there is a chance he is not but I can't be sure yet).