Should I try online dating again?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

I'm a 20 yo girl. Got officially dumped about two months ago, but he'd checked out of the relationship long before that. I think I'm ready to go back on the market.

I met my past two boyfriends/flings ig through Tinder. I guess there's a bit of a stigma against having met someone online or relying on online dating, but I've had some success with it. They've been good relationships with not great endings, but then, I'm a young adult, so what would you figure?

I also try to be Christian, which includes proscriptions against sex before marriage. I don't think there are too many guys who I'll just happen to meet on campus who'll be okay with that, which has kept me from approaching them. It would be easier to cast a wider net via online dating, although I guess that you'll attract a lot of creeps and liars too. Though you'll do that on campus as well... I can also go to religious meet ups, but they're pretty few and far between.

I don't know. Should I try online dating again? It might be useful, but I don't want to attract more creepy dudes or seem desperate. Plus, that first meeting is super nerve wracking lol. :T

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 6:43 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
I also try to be Christian, which includes proscriptions against sex before marriage.

Sorry to ask, but exactly what are your boundaries on "how far" you would go if you were in a serious relationship, given that you probably have a few years ahead of you before getting married? If you are highly restricted in this regard, you should probably state this up front on your profile (if that's allowed) or try to find a dating site specifically aimed at people with your beliefs. I think there are even dating sites for asexuals, maybe that would work out for you. Probably somebody else on this forum could recommend one.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 8:32 am

Welll I'm not asexual so I don't know about that lol.

But yeah, those are all good ideas.

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2019, 8:39 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
had some success with it. ...good relationships with not great endings, but then, I'm a young adult, so what would you figure?
Well if it seems in some way to have been successful for you, and given in many ways Asperger's can make meeting people/flirting/dating in real life extra-difficult, then maybe you needn't rule it out.

Clearly you are well aware of the down sides.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, my automatic answer was, NO!. But actually in the light of your stated experience my answer would be: "Why not, when and if you feel so inclined?"

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 12:56 pm

Raphael F wrote:
Whale_Tuune wrote:
had some success with it. ...good relationships with not great endings, but then, I'm a young adult, so what would you figure?
Well if it seems in some way to have been successful for you, and given in many ways Asperger's can make meeting people/flirting/dating in real life extra-difficult, then maybe you needn't rule it out.

Clearly you are well aware of the down sides.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, my automatic answer was, NO!. But actually in the light of your stated experience my answer would be: "Why not, when and if you feel so inclined?"

:lol: My immediate thought was "NOOooooo!!" too .... but yeah, do what you must WT... Just stay safe.x

Raphael F
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2019, 1:22 pm

Juliette wrote:
Just stay safe.x
Seconded.

Anyone here want to vote against that motion?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:17 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
I don't think there are too many guys who I'll just happen to meet on campus who'll be okay with that, which has kept me from approaching them.

Try them. Someof them might be more open minded then you'd expect.