Dating in the time of the Coronavirus Pandemic

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2020, 8:14 am

Many people concentrate on outward appearances in selecting a date. But if you are looking for a mate, what is inside is what really counts. The inner YOU! I read an article this morning about a couple that linked up during the pandemic and now are engaged. Even though they were only miles apart, they still were unable to meet up during the coronavirus lockdown. It sounds a little similar to my experience.

I married a girl from the other side of the world. We did not even see each other for a year and communicated via letters. Because translation was an inexact science, what worked best was each of us having interpreters on each end. Mine translated Polish to English and hers translated English to Polish. After a year I arranged to travel to Poland and met her and lived with her family for 6 weeks. Just before the final week I proposed to her using a language dictionary. We have been married for 46 years and it is a good marriage.

------------------------------------------------------

A mom who dated a man online during lockdown finally met him and got engaged just weeks later - and thinks not being able to see him helped her find “the one.”

Hannah Harvey, 28, matched with Gregg Wright, 40, on dating site Badoo, and they instantly hit it off, but couldn't actually meet up because of COVID-19 rules.

But they fell head over heels on video calls and texts for a few months - and the smitten pair think it's because they got to know each other before they finally met.

And just four weeks - and a handful of dates - after they first met, Wright proposed, and Harvey said yes.

The pair, who bonded over both being single parents, reckon they'd never have hit it off if lockdown hadn't forced them to take time out and get to know each other.

Harvey, a carer, from Silver End, Essex, said, "The connection we have is what you dream of having. It’s literally a perfect relationship.

“I’m still trying to believe the fact that I’m so lucky and I’ve found my perfect man – during lockdown!

“We had to take everything slowly, messaging and speaking over the phone,” she said. “It forced us to get to know each other really well before we met.

She added: “It’s like we did it the old-fashioned way, where there would be a courtship process. We mixed modern day and traditional dating, and it just worked."

Harvey, and retail supervisor Wright, from Chelmsford, England, matched online in April - but couldn't see each other in person for months.

It comes despite living just 20 minutes apart – and having mutual friends.

They spoke every day via message and FaceTime calls, becoming close incredibly quickly – and they felt they were right for each other before they even met.

Harvey said: “Within the first few messages, we had this amazing connection I just can’t explain. We learned we are so alike.

“It all happened so quickly, and I’ve never experienced feelings like that before. It felt so special and so unique.”

Harvey said her children, aged 10, 7 and 18 months, noticed her mood would lift whenever was speaking to Wright.

She said: “It got to the point where whenever he would message me, I’d have this huge grin on my face.

“My kids would say, ‘Oh look, Mummy’s smiling, she must have a message from Gregg!’”

Harvey and her now-fiancé Wright, who has children aged 15, 12 and 9, bonded over their experiences as single parents.

Past relationships had left Harvey, who had been with her previous partner for 10 years, skeptical – but Wright has helped her to rebuild her faith.

She said: “I couldn’t believe he was real – I kept waiting to learn something about him which would ruin it. But it never happened.

“Now, we know everything about one another, and everything is perfect.”

She added: “It feels like it’s our time to be happy now. We were both in a situation where we wanted to meet someone special, and we found each other at the right time.

“It felt like it was fate.”

She explained how they believe their unique situation of getting to know each other throughout lockdown actually had a positive impact on their relationship.

They waited until lockdown restrictions had been eased before they finally met up for the first time, at the end of June.

Harvey said it lived up to their high expectations.

She said: “It was like I’d known him for years. It didn’t feel like the first time we were meeting. We just felt like we could be ourselves.”

The couple’s first meeting was casual, with Wright going to Harvey’s to watch a film and have take out.

But it confirmed their suspicions – they were perfect for each other.

“I knew he was the one before we even met,” she said. “And when we finally met, it was perfect.

“We laughed the whole time. The next day my cheeks were aching from laughing so much!

“Finally meeting him just confirmed everything that I already knew. My feelings were right.”

A month after meeting, Wright proposed while on a romantic trip to Bournemouth.

He had secretly planned the proposal, including laying rose petals on the bed and buying a bottle of champagne ready for Harvey to walk in.

Harvey said: “It was a huge shock when I walked in the room to see that – and then I turned around to find him on one knee!”

She added: “Our relationship has literally been like a fairy-tale.”

Now, the happy couple are looking forward to their future – moving in together after Christmas, planning their wedding, and bringing their six children together.

Harvey said: “We’ve always liked the idea of a big family. We can just tell all the kids will get on well together!”

She feels that some people will find their story crazy, or think they’ve moved too fast – but they know that it’s the right time.

She said: “We are just so in love. It’s unbelievable.

“Unless people have been through the same situation, they’ll never believe it or understand it.

“But it’s true – there is such a thing as finding your soul mate, finding ‘the one.’”

Source: Engaged couple who met on app during pandemic credit lockdown with helping them solidify relationship

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 2:53 am

Sounds like the new Brady Brunch. It was a great love story. I’m on Coffee Meets Bagel, I only talked to 3 guys, I finally got one match after being on that app for weeks :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 3:01 am

My initial reaction to this story is why does an attractive 28 yr old want to date a 40 yr old man until I read that she has three "high maintenance" children aged 10, 7 and 18 months and he has three children who are older and less maintenance.

Obviously a match made in heaven :lol: she wants an "experienced" man with older kids who can help her manage her kids and he wants a young chick :lol:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 10:37 am

They're insane. They're still in rose coloured glasses/honeymoon stage. You shouldn't marry someone you've just met. :roll:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 10:48 am

hurtloam wrote:
They're insane. They're still in rose coloured glasses/honeymoon stage. You shouldn't marry someone you've just met. :roll:

True 8O , although they are only engaged by the sound of it. People can be engaged for years :P

SpencerD1115
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2020, 8:24 pm

I had heard towards the beginning of the virus that online dating would/was becoming a bigger thing. But, for me it’s been worthless, money spent on apps they offer Notting substantial. I’ve spent money years before this virus came our way on things like: match and e-harmony. Both having not worked for me. I know what type of woman I want and it’s hard to find that these day or then it was as well. I’d even tried speed dating once twice (without much responses). Both having not worked for me. I know what type of woman I want and it’s hard to find that these day or then it was as well.

I’ve been told many times not to be so specific or want to what I want to take whom or whatever comes my way. Most people on free apps or sites aren’t filled with many honest or real people, most sadly are whores, wanting no real relationships but instead intercourse and moving on afterwards. It makes it seem like rap music or most of the modern unintelligible lyrics of music these days, vapping, and many things form today are things Which are pushing our world further away from progressing forward in a good way. It’s another reason why I don’t fit into today’s society in many ways. I’m sure many people reading this agree they don’t either in many ways as well. I am more of an old soul in a young man’s body. It’s led me to the point where there’s a fact there aren’t many women out there that are what I’m looking for that seem to fit Me or even our dating material. Most people don’t want to date these days they just wanna hit it and quit it if you will! If not intercourse they are interested in they want: sugar daddies, or they are lying to and telling you the truth (catfishing you) and trying to get money off you (for reasons such broken phone or to get one) etc.

It’s hard, it’s my experience concerning apps and life during corona. Don’t see it changing and that’s the worst part but I hope this site helps with conversations about this subject, what to do about it, etc.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 12:12 am

jimmy m wrote:
Many people concentrate on outward appearances in selecting a date. But if you are looking for a mate, what is inside is what really counts. The inner YOU! I read an article this morning about a couple that linked up during the pandemic and now are engaged. Even though they were only miles apart, they still were unable to meet up during the coronavirus lockdown. It sounds a little similar to my experience.

Did they get engaged online?

Quote:
I married a girl from the other side of the world. We did not even see each other for a year and communicated via letters. Because translation was an inexact science, what worked best was each of us having interpreters on each end. Mine translated Polish to English and hers translated English to Polish. After a year I arranged to travel to Poland and met her and lived with her family for 6 weeks. Just before the final week I proposed to her using a language dictionary. We have been married for 46 years and it is a good marriage.

Great story

Quote:
A mom who dated a man online during lockdown finally met him and got engaged just weeks later - and thinks not being able to see him helped her find “the one.”

How can they meet? Meeting with social distance.