Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 12:37 am

When you are on a dating site, how do you know that you are really interest in somebody out of all the men & women pictures you see?

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2020, 4:19 pm

- Whose picture is good looking?

- Whose profile suggests you would have the most in common with them or sounds like the most fun to be around?

- Who is telling the truth? ;)

therosester
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2020, 2:40 pm

I avoid profiles which are bland

If someone starts off with saying their dog is their world and that they like "having fun" (because apparently some of us don't like fun), I lose interest

Others dull phrases that I can't stand include: "Looking for a nice guy", "Like travelling" (you and everyone else, yawn) and "Netflix" (if this is your most interesting hobby, you need to get a new hobby)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 2:45 am

therosester wrote:
I avoid profiles which are bland

If someone starts off with saying their dog is their world and that they like "having fun" (because apparently some of us don't like fun), I lose interest

Others dull phrases that I can't stand include: "Looking for a nice guy", "Like travelling" (you and everyone else, yawn) and "Netflix" (if this is your most interesting hobby, you need to get a new hobby)

What’s wrong with Netflix?

therosester
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2020, 3:24 am

Nothing wrong with Netflix itself (I do have my own personal agenda against it but I digress). A dating profile is supposed to sell the person, their most interesting aspects. If the most interesting thing about them is that they binge watch TV shows in their free time, I'm unlikely to look twice.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 6:39 am

therosester wrote:
Nothing wrong with Netflix itself (I do have my own personal agenda against it but I digress). A dating profile is supposed to sell the person, their most interesting aspects. If the most interesting thing about them is that they binge watch TV shows in their free time, I'm unlikely to look twice.

I think seeing if your share watching interest is important. Most people watch a lot of tv now a days if you don’t like the same shows or movies that be a deal breaker.

Also not everyone can be some amazing adventurer. Most people are bland and boring.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 9:45 am

I usually leave myself online and don't sign out when I leave,and wait to see who contacts me.

I go through my messages decide what to return,get a conversation going with a few people until I decide there is one I want to pursue exclusivly.

I find contacting people leaves you cold because people are rarely honest in there profile anyway.Your rarely contacting someone you have a lot in common with because the profiles are not honest.

See who contacts you and then chat to see if you connect.Profiles are a big scam I find most people aren't honest.

That's just what I do, I haven't met wife number two yet so I don't know if my way will work out.When I met wife number 1 online years ago,all that we knew from the profile was we lived close to each other,so we met on a date at a Chinese buffet and a nine year marriage proceeded to happen.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 10:53 am

I've never tried online dating, and likely wouldn't. The closest I would come is if I happened to like a person online (e.g., on Wrong Planet or another forum, but not a dating forum), and we got along well enough to meet.

On a standard dating site with all the photos and hypermarketing of human beings, I'd be very cautious. I doubt I'd be attracted to the best looking ones, but rather the ones who look humble and sincere. In our communication I'd want someone witty who makes me laugh, and someone who likes the same music / entertainment. The whole point of meeting a partner is to spend time with them, so there's no point if he listens to music I can't stand, or wants me to lead a really social life, which I won't.

I would also want to know that the person likes me for me, not just my photo. I'd want to feel confident they understand who I am (the good, the bad and the ugly). Likewise I would want to have a sense of them as a whole person, too.

I'd recommend meeting any online interest within about 2-3 weeks to make sure the chemistry works, before getting attached to their online persona. A person's real life energy is often different than their ability to write nice words online. It's no one's fault. Some people are just better with words than they are in person, or vice versa. Of course you meet in a public place and don't give them your full name or address for quite some time.

I met my bf in December in person, and didn't give him my address or bring him home until March. Then the lockdown happened. So we've spent half our relationship apart. Who knows how that will turn out, but I'm glad I was cautious from the start.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 10:52 pm

I do like this one guy, he wrote under last show you binged watched, he wrote Golden Girls.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 12:09 am

I've dated online, but never used dating sites. I've known when I'm falling for someone because they're my most frequent intrusive thought.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2020, 2:11 pm

When I used dating sites I was interested in most anyone who met my minimum criteria, seemed like there was a chance the person was legit, & I thought there might be a chance in hell the person would be willing to give me half a chance. I didn't bother trying to initiate messages to lots of people/profiles because it seemed like we'd be majorly incompatible like they love traveling & I'm a major homebody or they wanted a guy who was very independent & I'm very dependent or they were wanting a guy to financially support them & I'm disabled.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2020, 11:09 am

I saw this selfie of a man who I knew IRL and who is in his 50s as I was swiping. He lied about his age on the dating profile (claimed to be 45 lol) and wrote in his description that he doesn't like women who are manipulative. The irony xD. I had to take screenshots because that was so ridiculously funny XD humans why? I didn't stay long on that site (a few days). Messaged someone I had a high match with and we switched to a different messaging app after a couple days. He also had funny dating app stories to tell :lol:

Quote:
When you are on a dating site, how do you know that you are really interest in somebody out of all the men & women pictures you see?
I can't tell whether I'd be really interested. But I believe I can tell if there's a chance we'd get along. But to be honest, I won't sign up for such a thing again :lol: It's even weirder than real life!! !

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 2:46 am

Lely wrote:
I saw this selfie of a man who I knew IRL and who is in his 50s as I was swiping. He lied about his age on the dating profile (claimed to be 45 lol) and wrote in his description that he doesn't like women who are manipulative. The irony xD.

Many NT women are very manipulative towards other people often by using their empthy or attractivity and counting on the feelings of other people towards them. It's also kind of related to the hierarchy among NT girls. The most manipulative ones are nearly always on top of it. I totally dislike this at all but most NTs are not just fine with this but seem totally to enjoy once they are just becoming manipulated. Women on the spectrum who lack empathy aren't this way. Do you like manipulative women?

The most manipulative girl I ever saw is the only one I know who wasn't doing it for selfish reasons. She is the only manipulative girl I still like. She was playing in a way with people that I have never seen before or after. I did want to let her know how the grouping of guys works. I did just for fun claim the top of the hierarchy of all guys in a club in good old stoneage manner and let a group of five guys the club join me. Afterwards we did rule the club just for fun in behaving a way that none of any of the other men around did even dare to come near to us. The totally unsure faces of boys who the girl was with were quite funny but the girl had totally fun if watching us. I guess nobody of all of that people will see something like that again because it's not a common thing that people do. Hope the group of the young guys who joined me realized that power of men who are standing together. :mrgreen:
I did ask that girl whether she could help me to develop empathy once we met afterwards. She sayd it's impossible and that I would have already enough of it. :roll: :shrug: Guess she had no real idea of me and that men rely on trust and loyality most and may be a bit of fun once they unite. This all happened before I even knew what Asperger's is.

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2020, 5:16 am

@quiteanextreme
I will repeat. I saw by coincidence the profile of a man I knew in real life who is in his fifties and claimed to be almost a decade younger on his dating profile (I found it very funny), i.e. he is being manipulative and insincere while finding it important to point out he dislikes that same quality in women. I don't know what me being amused about finding someone from irl by coincidence on a dating app who lies on his profile, has to do with your worldview founded on observing the courtship behaviour of drunk teenagers in discos on a Friday night as a middle aged man. I am not going to read those paragraphs as it's not worth my time and it has nothing to do with anything I wrote. Stop following me around on this forum and replying to my posts with unrelated random weird things and rants about groups of people.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 5:44 am

Archmage Arcane wrote:
- Whose picture is good looking?

- Whose profile suggests you would have the most in common with them or sounds like the most fun to be around?

- Who is telling the truth? ;)

- Is she a she? :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jun 2020, 9:14 am

Lely wrote:
I saw this selfie of a man who I knew IRL and who is in his 50s as I was swiping. He lied about his age on the dating profile (claimed to be 45 lol) and wrote in his description that he doesn't like women who are manipulative. The irony xD. I had to take screenshots because that was so ridiculously funny XD humans why?
He's projecting his negative trait onto others. Unfortunately that's very common behavior nowadays if you pay attention to the political news in America.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition