Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:37 am

Well me and my boyfriend figured, we'd just go get the certificate from the legal office or whatever and just agree we are married. Then we would say screw everyone lets go do something fun for just us and that would be our celebration of our marriage. Neither one of us want to have a whole event/ceremony for it we just want to sign the thing to say we are married and then go out on some kind of adventure just for the two of us.

So as you can tell neither one of us are too fond of having an actual wedding, like blech why spend so much money on that useless thing when we could just get a marriage document and spend our money on something fun for just me and him and without spending on a wedding we'd have even more to spend on a little trip for me and him to somewhere we'd like to see. Maybe alaska but if we really planned for it maybe we could go to like Nepal in India and see the himalayas and maybe get to try some of their chai tea with goat butter. Not interested in attempting to climb those mountains I'd be more interested to see more about the villages and stuff around there and learn about their culture. An perhaps inquire about their ...special honey(presumably they have psychedelic honey from bees that collect from a certain flower and they climb cliffs to collect it since the bees make their hives in the mountains)and admittedly I'd love to try some.

IDK if we could afford a trip to Nepal, but if we could then that would make for a nice adventure for us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:50 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well me and my boyfriend figured, we'd just go get the certificate from the legal office or whatever and just agree we are married. Then we would say screw everyone lets go do something fun for just us and that would be our celebration of our marriage. Neither one of us want to have a whole event/ceremony for it we just want to sign the thing to say we are married and then go out on some kind of adventure just for the two of us.

So as you can tell neither one of us are too fond of having an actual wedding, like blech why spend so much money on that useless thing when we could just get a marriage document and spend our money on something fun for just me and him and without spending on a wedding we'd have even more to spend on a little trip for me and him to somewhere we'd like to see. Maybe alaska but if we really planned for it maybe we could go to like Nepal in India and see the himalayas and maybe get to try some of their chai tea with goat butter. Not interested in attempting to climb those mountains I'd be more interested to see more about the villages and stuff around there and learn about their culture. An perhaps inquire about their ...special honey(presumably they have psychedelic honey from bees that collect from a certain flower and they climb cliffs to collect it since the bees make their hives in the mountains)and admittedly I'd love to try some.

IDK if we could afford a trip to Nepal, but if we could then that would make for a nice adventure for us.

If you invite me along, I'd pay a third of the petrol costs, as well as supplying the munchies. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:56 am

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
^ A lumber jack? I don't think anyone mentioned anything about cutting down trees in this thread :scratch:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 6:02 am

If my girl got on her knees and presented me with a sword, I'd pick her up and not let her get away. 8)

(except if it's something dumb, like a smallsword. It's like she doesn't know me at all...)

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 6:29 am

^ A lumber jack? I don't think anyone mentioned anything about cutting down trees in this thread :scratch:

But lumberjacks are well known for going around proposing left and right, it comes with the job :P

Last edited by BenderRodriguez on 22 Aug 2020, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 6:32 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
But lumberjacks are well known for going around proposing left and right

...and for their long and proud tradition of having swords?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 6:33 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Absolutely, how else would they at least occasionally cut down trees?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 7:28 am

i would definitely say yes or at least a smiley mebbe :mrgreen:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 7:50 am

If you're already living together, then whether you're legally married should not be an overarching concern. Rather than formally propose, you should simply mention the idea in passing and see how much interest is shown. If not, then wait a year.

If not living together, then address that concern first. If not ready to live together, then not ready to marry.

Once two people are living together, separating is going to be painful whether you're legally married or not.

Sorry if I don't seem very romantic. To me, marriage seems like something two people will do when they both want to and are ready. Having said that, it genuinely perplexes me why so many couples live together for so many years without getting married, given that they are already married for all intents and purposes, except for the paperwork. I guess it has to do with the fact that people still think they have to spend thousands on an elaborate wedding, reception, etc. along with bachelor/bachelorette parties, bridal showers, etc. Only reason I can think of.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:06 am

A wedding doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. When we were married 46 years ago, our wedding cost me around $300 dollars and that included the wedding ring, the wedding cake, and the church service.

My future wife made her own wedding dress. She is a fabulous seamstress. We had a church wedding. When we met with the Priest (me, my future wife and my father), the Priest asked my wife if she wanted to marry me. My father translated and she said "Yes". The Priest then asked how did he know that my father was translating correctly and telling the truth. But we did have a church wedding with around 200 people in attendance. With a reception that followed. One friend played the accordion and volunteered to provide the music. It was like a pot luck wedding. I baked a cherry pie and took it in and everyone provided food and desserts. It was a feast. There was music and the traditional wedding ceremonies such as the garter belt and the throwing of the flower bouquet.

We were also given wedding gifts (such as pots and pans, linen and towels, etc.) that also helped us set up our household and then there were gifts of money. We were a little low on cash after the wedding and this small bit of money helped pay for our week long honeymoon up and down the coast of California. We spent our first night aboard the Queen Mary docked in Los Angeles harbor. A few days later we stayed in one of the rock rooms in the Madonna Inn. We visited Golden Gate park in San Francisco and toured the city.

--------------------------------------

Now when our youngest daughter was married a few years ago. My wife and daughter wanted a full blow wedding. It generally is the bride's parents that pay for the wedding. I said why can't we cut corners. WE DID! My wife said you don't understand. A wedding is a magical tradition. Every girl while she is growing up dreams of a prince charming and a fabulous wedding. It is her dream. Well I couldn't argue the logic so I paid for my daughters wedding around $30K. We pulled the money from bits and pieces. And it was a fabulous wedding.

---------------------------------------

I guess there two routes for a wedding and honeymoon. They should not limit you from going through the ceremony. It can be the start of a wonderful union of two souls joining together.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:21 am

Pepe wrote:

:lol:

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:27 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Absolutely, how else would they at least occasionally cut down trees?

Lumberjack job ad: "Must have at least 5-20 years of sword wielding experience. Must be willing to carry maple syrup at all times (no drinking on the job). Sword making experience preferred."

Last edited by AuroraBorealisGazer on 22 Aug 2020, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:29 am

Lumberjacks are a thing? Implicit bias, ? Well I don’t make for a good lumberjack but if a guy is on the fence,
And you can tell this , cannot see any reason to Not drop the hint, that the person might be open to the idea of marriage. Or something similiar to it . Don’t think any man would go out of his way to having his ego beat up by the good chance of being refused . ~ Just a thought on this issue.~

where ever you go ,there you are

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 9:30 am

Mum asked dad to marry her (shouldn't have cos they ended up divorced...)

My cousin asked her fiance to marry her. Cos he's a fiance dunno if it's a good idea yet lol, they seem like a good match.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Aug 2020, 11:57 pm

When things got serious between me & both my exes as well as with my current girlfriend, we kind of both starred talking like we were gonna be married. There was no proposal moment. All 3 of those relationships started out as long distance & we were planning on being married before we even met up.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:06 am

:(

where ever you go ,there you are