Do you get obsessed and/or stalk people you like?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you get obsessed?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 15 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 23

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 8:35 pm

StewartMango wrote:
Pepe wrote:
StewartMango wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I try not to.

I still have crushes that seem to last forever. :oops:

Ah...yes, I do too, one of my crushes lasted over 10+ years, even after not seeing or hearing from him for many years. For some reason, I always have to think about a guy, I never understood how people can not having feelings for anyone. I wish I was normal. :(

The good thing is you are aware that it is something you need to work on.
Have the police ever gotten involved?

Out of the 5+ guys I've obsessed on throughout my 31 years alive I have never dealt with the police, but I have been reprimanded by my school administrators. Only 2 of the guys I would ride my bike past their house or even sit in front of their house and then run off when they came out of their house. I thankfully grew out of that before I turned 17. I mostly just stalk their social media profiles, but then again doesn't everyone do that nowadays? The current guy I'm obsessing on I'm trying to get over him, but it's very difficult, which is why I'm going to see a therapist on the 16th of October.

You have permission to stalk my posting history, if you like. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 8:40 pm

KT67 wrote:
3 Mutual crush. These have the chance to lead to romance. Don't have to, you could just admit your feelings for each other and move on. But they could.

Most people seem to focus on romantic type crushes.
What about platonic type crushes?
The latter is relatively harmless, I imagine.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 9:51 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Yes, I think this is a common issue for ASD folks.

Since we tend to obsess over whatever we are interested in at the moment, if that subject is suddenly a "special someone" it kinda makes sense, if you understand how the autistic mind works :lol:

I hope your therapist is helpful!

This.

In my teens, I'd get pretty intense crushes (though I never stalked anyone) but I came to realise that the odds of someone I'm crushing on reciprocating the crush are pretty much zero, and the inevitable rejection/never seeing them again that follows is too painful for me to allow myself to develop intense feelings for someone who probably doesn't even care that I exist, so I naturally stopped developing intense crushes out of necessity.

For me, I think the worst thing I did to fuel those crushes was fantasising about the person I was crushing on. The fantasising felt good, but it created a house of cards situation where I'd build up my emotional investment in someone only to eventually have my hope of being with them shattered, and that really hurt.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 3:16 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Yes, I think this is a common issue for ASD folks.

Since we tend to obsess over whatever we are interested in at the moment, if that subject is suddenly a "special someone" it kinda makes sense, if you understand how the autistic mind works :lol:

I hope your therapist is helpful!

This.

In my teens, I'd get pretty intense crushes (though I never stalked anyone) but I came to realise that the odds of someone I'm crushing on reciprocating the crush are pretty much zero, and the inevitable rejection/never seeing them again that follows is too painful for me to allow myself to develop intense feelings for someone who probably doesn't even care that I exist, so I naturally stopped developing intense crushes out of necessity.

For me, I think the worst thing I did to fuel those crushes was fantasising about the person I was crushing on. The fantasising felt good, but it created a house of cards situation where I'd build up my emotional investment in someone only to eventually have my hope of being with them shattered, and that really hurt.

Yup.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2020, 4:56 pm

I get obsessed with people I love in a romantic way. They become my special interest & I want to spend aLOT of time with them & I pay attention to various things they do. The people I became obsessed with were both my exes & current girlfriend. I became obsessed with them after we got together. I'm dependent, needy, & clingy within romantic relationships. Thankfully my current girlfriend is kinda the same way but I'm worse than she is. I closely followed my exes online activity during our relationship & after we broke up but shortly after our breakup they quit using the forums I knew them from so I quit being able to follow them. I still love them & think of them a lot & I really hope they are OK, but I accept that I can not be part of their lives anymore.

I also had/have a mega huge crush obsession with a celebrity that's been going for over 10 years now. I was very lonely when I fell for her. I quit crushing & obsessing about her when I got in my 2nd relationship but it started up again as soon as that relationship ended half a year later. It then went away when I got in my current relationship but started back up again after a year or year & a half. There is some question if it is a delusional disorder that's kind of a variation of erotomania. It may be partly an OCD thing but I'm on a med to help my OCD that has made a bit of improvement for my OCD but it had no effect on my crush obsession. I started taking an antipsychotic for a couple reasons but it also had no effect on my crush obsession. I switched to another antipsychotic that's better helping me with some stuff but it also had no effect on the crush obsession. I'm only on a low dose of my current antipsychotic thou & I was only on a low dose of the other one. I have talked aLOT about this in the past but that also got me nowhere. I can accept not being in a romantic relationship with her but I would at least want to be her friend but I have no clue how to make it happen.
I majorly love & care about my current girlfriend & I'm also obsessed with her & love spending a lot of time with her. She really loves, understands, & supports me. We are both loyal to a fault so I have ZERO intention of cheating on her. Thoughts won't get out of my head thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:12 pm

I sort of became fixated with a woman, once in my early 20s and again in my early 40s. Never got anywhere near a dangerous level, but I wouldn't want to go there again. I was semi-stalked myself by someone on WP a few years ago - Karma and all that, eh?

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 5:57 pm

When i was 17 years old, i had a six month relationship with a beautiful girl who i fell deeply in love with.
Even though i was very young.

The girl eventually cheated on me with an older man who likely manipulated her to sleep with him, and after he did, he got her to turn nasty towards me. ho hum. story of my life.

I had a nervous breakdown, including extensive autistic shutdown, was miserable for many months and months, if not years.

The week she finished with me i remember following her once. Not to hurt her, but because i was in love with her, i guess part of me still is, at least in love with the person who i thought she was, rather than the person she actually is at least back then. She no longer felt the same way about me. Sadly for me. I think around this time i came close to suicide, but i didn't so i am still here 25 years later.

For the years that followed, i went completely in myself, didn't go out for several months if not years, and read extensively on self help and on religions. I found this for the most part very healing and very interesting.
I have a metaphysical side to my personality, always have really.

Nonetheless, i have had a few other relationships over the years.
My last however, was a relationship with my ex-wife, which ended some time ago.

My ex-wife violently assaulted me while i lay in bed, days after my only and older brother's funeral, while i still was in shock learning of his death. She attacked me on a blood full moon. I believe she thought she was performing a black magick ritual or something, deluded immature girl.

I split up with her as i didn't like being violently assaulted by crazy women when i am at my lowest eb.
I believe what she did made her completely untrustworthy, along with many other things that she did while i was in a relationship with her.

After i split up with her.
She started to cyber stalk me and in some cases physical stalk me. Not because she loved me but because she was angry that i got away from her (as i think she wanted to murder me, again likely due to her delusional belief that she had magic powers).

Some stalkers are benign, other stalkers really are scary and have the potential to harm their victims.
I believe some stalkers stalk because it makes them feel powerful, in control and able to use their stalking as a method to intimidate their victim.

It can be really tiring, annoying and in some cases intimidating and a complete mind game.
People who are stalked can also potentially become even more of a victim, in some cases the stalkers inflict violent crimes against their victim/s.

Some stalkers are suffering from an illness like OCD, others are purely criminals who can choose to stalk or not to stalk.
For fun, for profit, to hurt people who they want to hurt. very bad.

If you do have an inclination towards stalking
i recommend getting some help from a doctor in psychology, and perhaps get a medical doctor / psychiatrist to prescribe a med like clomipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant that is good for OCD

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 3:46 pm

As a young teenager, I had my fair share of weird crushes but to me if someone dislikes me, there's no bigger turn off to me. I don't want to stalk those who want nothing to do with me.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 3:55 pm

No.

First of all, that's really creepy. Second, I fail to see why anyone would even be obsessed with a real human being, let alone stalk them.

So many people, mostly in the states and maybe a few European countries, are so creepily obsessed with some celebrity. And then they find out that person is somehow not as awesome or perfect as they thought. It's because surprise, surprise, they're really just ordinary humans that do stupid things like every other human does. :roll:

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 4:10 pm

I heard a story of how a normal person who saved a famous politicians career / life by giving advice during an economic crisis was stalked by famous people including some famous pop stars who started writing love songs about that person.

How mad that must have been, imagine being a "normal" non celebrity, not super wealthy or powerful person
who does something extraordinary, almost causing a revolution, to then be stalked by celebrities, and then to have every thing that he has ever done stolen by some of the many stalkers from journalism/politics/entertainment... to then have his life ruined by those who took credit for every word or action that he has ever said or done, all in one massive cover up.... seriously, that must have been the most surreal experience ever. Like taking acid but without any drugs involved.

and once covered up, no one would ever believe the guys story any way, and that is how history gets re-written by those who have the most money. truth does not exist as long as there is money/fame involved.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm

madbutnotmad is rite about some stalkers having bad OCD but there's other mental illnesses that can cause people to stalk. For example there's a delusional disorder called Erotomania where the sufferer believes someone is in love with them even if they had never officially met or they both know each other but person had rejected the sufferer. Erotomania is a fairly common reason celebs get stalked by fans who are desperate to be in romantic relationships with em. Erotomania can be a very difficult disorder to treat. A lot of the sufferers believe that their delusion is real & thus reject treatment. The main meds that are used are antipsychotics & the antipsychotics don't always provide much improvement.

The term Stalking gets thrown around online a lot nowadays & it's online usage is a bit different than it's original meaning. Stalking online nowadays often means that the stalker is paying close attention to someone's public online activity. For example constantly checking a celeb's public social media like Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram to see if they posted/uploaded anything can be a form of online stalking. That is the only type of Stalking I've done.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition