Surely they would see it as harmless?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 7:59 am

On nights out one of my associates who is 66 often talks to girls who are as young as 18.

His friends say he should not be talking to much younger women because the girls male friends might take it the wrong way.

I don’t understand though surely an old man chatting to 18 year olds would be seen by others as harmless right?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:09 am

What harm could possibly occur when a 66 year old pervert talks to an 18 year old girl?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:26 am

He did not say that his friend was a pervert.

What is a pervert anyway. Someone who perverts the right to justice? Perverting the right to justice? Perverting the cause of justice?

I am not sure what the word actually means in relationship to the context of age. Is it short for something like perverting...

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 20 May 2021, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2021, 8:27 am

Not sure. My old Catholic priest got arrested as he flirted with women all the time :roll: He did it for a laugh more than anything, so I guess people don't always take a joke. Nevermind though.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:27 am

Fnord wrote:
What harm could possibly occur when a 66 year old pervert talks to an 18 year old girl?
Out of curiosity...what is the youngest aged female a 66 year old man can speak to without being called a pervert?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 8:30 am

Steve1963 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Out of curiosity...what is the youngest aged female a 66 year old man can speak to without being called a pervert?

I am guessing maybe a woman in there 30s?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 12:37 pm

I don’t see much wrong with it—unless there’s exploitation involved.

I don’t flirt with much younger women. And I liked older women in my youth.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 12:45 pm

Jamesy wrote:
On nights out one of my associates who is 66 often talks to girls who are as young as 18.
If, further, the talking sounds like an attempt to establish romance...that could be perceived as a problem.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:14 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
If, further, the talking sounds like an attempt to establish romance...that could be perceived as a problem.

Why could that be a problem?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:21 pm

He might be perceived by some as a "dirty old man."

Some women don't mind being flirted with by people their father's age----but some women don't like that at all.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:22 pm

If he talks to anyone and everyone, and that includes much younger females, I don't see a problem if he's just being friendly in general.

If he's being flirty / lecherous, though, and deliberately targets young women to the exclusion of everyone else, then yes that's very dodgy indeed and he could end up getting punched.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Some women don't mind being flirted with by people their father's age----but some women don't like that at all.

Jamesy hasn't mentioned flirting. It's interesting how quickly this thread has veered into assuming that's the case, which illustrates the dangers here I suppose.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:36 pm

If it's "not the case," then why should there be a problem? That doesn't make too much sense.

If it's not flirting, then why is it a problem? Usually, these sorts of problems are the results of perceived or actual flirtation.

If there's no flirtatious intention, then should there be a problem? I would have no problem with a 100-year-old man talking to a 3-year-old little girl. Why the heck should that be a problem if there's only friendly intent?

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 May 2021, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:37 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Jamesy hasn't mentioned flirting. It's interesting how quickly this thread has veered into assuming that's the case, which illustrates the dangers here I suppose.

Why i think he does flirt a little bit with them.

Also can I just say why would a young person want to punch an old man?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:48 pm

By the way: James has mentioned this particular person before. He is a fellow bar patron. Very frequently, though not absolutely, interactions between men and women in bars lean towards the flirtatious.

I don't believe the 66-year-old man should be punched. The problem would be if the 18-year-old wasn't able to "take care of herself." Then, the 66-year-old man should be scrutinized.

There are some 18-year-olds who are as mature as 35-year-olds, though, and are able to take care of themselves very well.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 1:52 pm

Jamesy wrote:
His friends say he should not be talking to much younger women because the girls male friends might take it the wrong way.

What about their female friends? Wouldn't they also take it the wrong way?

What about the young women, themselves?

This doesn't need to be judged through a male lens.

Being polite to people of any age is to be expected. If you are suggesting that he's interested in them, or possibly giving that vibe, then the young women are likely making up their own minds.

It's likely not a positive impression, either.