Would You Date Someone Who Wanted To Wait Till Marriage?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would you date someone who wanted to wait until marriage to have sex?
I'm a man and yes 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
I'm a man and no 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
I'm a woman and yes 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
I'm a woman and no 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Show me the results. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 2:37 pm

Would you date someone who waited to wait until marriage to have sex?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 2:52 pm

I waited - because my ex wanted to wait. Turns out he was gay, but that's another story lol.

My daughter's best friend just got married. She and the groom both waited. They had a two year platonic courtship but now they're very much enjoying their honeymoon. 8)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 2:54 pm

Yes.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 2:54 pm

Nope.
I'd consider the expectation a strong indicator of incompatibility.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

02 May 2021, 3:03 pm

Probably but it would depend on the person and the reason.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 3:14 pm

I picked "no" because I don't want to marry someone and then find out that we're sexually incompatible. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I also don't know if I'd ever actually consider marrying someone, so if wanted to wait until then I'd probably never have sex. :P

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 3:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Nope.

My waiting was a long time ago, and it wasn't my choice at the time. I obviously learned the hard way that we weren't compatible after marriage.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should wait, or that it's better to wait. I'm just saying it's not unheard of.

I'm not planning to marry my current beau and we 'waited' a very long time but that was because of Covid and my trauma, and not because I had visions of walking down the aisle with him.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 3:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nope.

My waiting was a long time ago, and it wasn't my choice at the time. I obviously learned the hard way that we weren't compatible after marriage.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should wait, or that it's better to wait. I'm just saying it's not unheard of.

I'm not planning to marry my current beau and we 'waited' a very long time but that was because of Covid and my trauma, and not because I had visions of walking down the aisle with him.

No judgment towards anyone who'd do things different. If someone is actually compatible but more easily pushed around by norms than I might be missing a great opportunity, but regardless I'd still pass. I don't really intend on getting married in any situation.

HeroOfHyrule explains the logic pretty well. I don't want to take that gamble when there's other people out there who might be more suitable.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 3:38 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Nope.

No judgment towards anyone who'd do things different. If someone is actually compatible but more easily pushed around by norms than I might be missing a great opportunity, but regardless I'd still pass. I don't really intend on getting married in any situation.

HeroOfHyrule explains the logic pretty well. I don't want to take that gamble when there's other people out there who might be more suitable.

Agreed.

I guess the other question should be "Do you even want to get married?"

For many of us, the answer is a firm no.

That doesn't mean we should all be celibate just because we don't believe in marriage.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:29 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I picked "no" because I don't want to marry someone and then find out that we're sexually incompatible. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I also don't know if I'd ever actually consider marrying someone, so if wanted to wait until then I'd probably never have sex. :P

Sorry, I don't want this to come across as if I'm picking on you; you're statement simply provides a reference point.

I remember dating men who thought that way. I wasn't a "have to wait until marriage," but I still get frustrated and angry with the attitude of "testing." One simple reason: intimate relationships can and do develop, grow and change; so discarding someone because of one bad test run is foolish, unfair, and hurtful.

It would have been horribly unfortunate if I had discarded my husband based on our first experience. Thankfully I was wiser than that.

A lot of good information can be garnered from simple conversation. What is someone open to? What holds them back today that might not hold them back tomorrow? And so forth. Couples need to be able to talk about these things to have a solid and healthy intimate life, so why not do it first?

Waiting or not waiting can indicate far deeper differences in values, of course, which can be much more significant to a couples future. It is definitely something people need to be able to talk about.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 02 May 2021, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:32 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I remember dating men who thought that way. I wasn't a "have to wait until marriage," but I still get frustrated and angry with the attitude of "testing." One simple reason: intimate relationships can and do develop, grow and change; so discarding someone because of one bad test run is foolish, unfair, and hurtful.

It's really not unfair for one to feel their efforts would be better invested else where. One is always entitled to make that decision for themselves. Why should someone feel obliged to keep investing in what they've already determined isn't a worthwhile investment?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:39 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Sorry, I don't want this to come across as if I'm picking on you; you're statement simply provides a reference point.

It would have been horribly unfortunate if I had discarded my husband based on our first experience. Thankfully I was wiser than that.

A lot of good information can be garnered from simple conversation. What is someone open to? What holds them back today that might not hold them back tomorrow? And so forth. Couples need to be able to talk about these things to have a solid and healthy intimate life, so why not do it first?

Not wanting to wait until marriage doesn't mean I'd have sex with someone once and then throw the relationship away if it doesn't work out that one time, nor that I don't care about having an intimate connection with someone in other ways. I don't really get where you got that assumption from, and I don't think it's unfair to want to be able to get used to sexual intimacy with someone and know their sexual needs + if they match yours before marriage.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:41 pm

I would find the fact that they have sexual relations lower down on their list of priorities a good thing.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

It's really not unfair for one to feel their efforts would be better invested else where. One is always entitled to make that decision for themselves. Why should someone feel obliged to keep investing in what they've already determined isn't a worthwhile investment?

This is pretty much my point. I'd like to fully get to know someone before marriage since it's supposed to be a lifelong investment, and not just for my benefit, but also my partners. Plus, as an autistic person with intimacy problems and some past trauma I'd like that to involve getting used to sex w/ my partner, and seeing if we can both fulfill each other's needs and if we are actually comfortable with each other sexually. It's not really unfair for me to want that.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Because odds are very good they are wrong. I'm not saying anyone is obligated, but I am saying you hurt yourself and your own prospects by making such a decision with limited data.

I'll be blunt: I was in a situation like that. Everything about when and how the first encounter happened was wrong, wrong, wrong. He moves away but years later comes through town, gets in touch, and we have lunch. He asks me about my life and I end up talking about my latest relationship which was, well, quite intense. He was shocked, confused, and sad. He had never considered how the circumstances might have affected our long ago encounter. I could see the regret on his face, but it was too late, we had taken very different paths by then.

It was really stupid that neither of us was smart enough to talk about it at the time. That we weren't comfortable enough to do so was probably indicative of why we might never have worked, anyway, but transfer all that into a more promising relationship and, well, it can be a large loss.

People need to know that intimacy evolves. Allow for that. It also isn't a constant; it has moods and variations.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:56 pm

I would have waited if I knew my mate was the right person.