Does Anyone Else Just NOT Do Online Dating?

Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 6:34 am

I've been catfished before. Even now I'm not sure what exactly happened, it was seemingly going well and we apparently had a date planned. Then, out of the blue, I was blocked. We had been speaking on another app, and I noticed that her username had also changed and the profile picture was now an entirely different woman. This wasn't a lie born out of self-consciousness, as I am not exaggerating when I say the picture was someone else. Everything was different- hair colour, eye colour, race, and their entire personality. The account rebranded completely. It was jarring. My best guess is that it was a fake account that rebrands itself every so often, and attempts to trap people into a scheme of some kind.

Then there are the people who are there for odd reasons, such as trying to find a member for their band or are trying to find someone to buy from, asking if you have any pets they can buy. I can't even begin to fathom the idea of going on a dating site to look to employ someone or buy from them, why would you do that? :?

Frankly, the best part of online dating has been the joke accounts. For example, people pretending to be Pennywise from IT or Fiona from Shrek. My favourite was an account called Catfish with the description "I am a human who enjoys human things". :lol:

At the moment, I've given up on online dating. I may get back into it, but it's dire.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Sep 2021, 9:33 am

Chummy wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Chummy wrote:
What is the reasoning for people to catfish guys in dating sites? other than money scammers etc. even if they just want "friends" instead of a romantic relationship getting a friend by lying to him isn't a good start. I just don't understand perp type of thinking yes they're "sick in the head" as you said but I often hear this description like "crazy" just to refer to people doing stuff with motives you can't explain by common sense or science... as long as you're not psychotic no mental illness can be an excuse if you're in touch with reality IMO
Some of the guys & women were being catfished by their exes who were looking for revenge. Some of the women were single moms or were pregnant & they were being catfished by women pretending to be single moms wanting friends or women pretending to be guys wanting a romantic relationship who were really wanting their kids. There were also a couple cases of guys being killed by guys they never met who were seemingly just wanting an opportunity to commit a random murder.

Is catfishing people just to "be friends" a capital offense?
It depends on if the catfish is looking to be a real friend themselves or if the catrish is only pretending to act like a friend for nefarious reasons.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Ball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2021, 7:09 pm

I never understood online dating. Only women I ever met was IRL. Women online are just window shopping or truly desperate with very little in between, seemingly.

Ball
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2021, 8:36 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
Online dating is wayyyyyyyy easier if you're a woman, and that's a 100% fact.

And if you don't believe me, watch this video. Basically a man has his woman friend make a Tinder account as a man, just to see what it's like using Tinder as a guy. Every woman who wants to know what it's like being a man should watch this video.

Women on dating sites are just looking for attention and validation, not dates.

Spyro115
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2021, 10:42 pm

Tried it for a few months. Gave up and told myself, "Never again!"

It's not worth it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 11:42 pm

Ball wrote:

It's strange, when I said the same thing a female mod attacked me for being anti-women?
I mean I never used online dating but it's obvious based on my experience with girls that they probably enjoy the attention they got online. Its safer than parading around a nightclub or bar.

I am not suggesting they catfish boys. But based on social media they all like posting images of themselves and have boys heaping praise on them. It doesn't take a psychologist to work that out.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 2:31 am

Ball wrote:
I never understood online dating. Only women I ever met was IRL. Women online are just window shopping or truly desperate with very little in between, seemingly.
I woulda had zero problem being with a woman who was truly desperate when I was single, in fact I actually woulda preferred it. I MAJORLY struggled to get a romantic relationship & I was single for 8 years straight with not even a single date after me & my 1st girlfriend broke up. When I complained about being single, I kept getting told that I was too desperate or that I should change various things about me & my situation that I've been trying to change for a long time without success. Then I would see somebody complaining about women online being desperate & I would think if women really were that desperate, how come they wouldn't even be willing to give me half a chance :? I know I am very far from perfect & have way more than my fare share of various issues & problems but I also know that I have lots of good characteristics & nobody is perfect. My strong points help me keep a romantic relationship but they had the opposite effect when I was trying to get one.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 3:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ball wrote:

It's strange, when I said the same thing a female mod attacked me for being anti-women?
I mean I never used online dating but it's obvious based on my experience with girls that they probably enjoy the attention they got online. Its safer than parading around a nightclub or bar.

I am not suggesting they catfish boys. But based on social media they all like posting images of themselves and have boys heaping praise on them. It doesn't take a psychologist to work that out.

This is anecdotal evidence, buy the only time I made a dating profile was when I was feeling down and I wanted to see if I would get any likes/matches. I did, felt happy about it and deleted my profile.

I do not have the energy for online dating. I'm an introvert and taking guys on what are essentially romantic interviews just is too tiring for me. I'd have to be "on" because of course I care about what they think of me too. They're interviewing me too.

I would get matches, but in real life I rarely get second dates anyway, so it seems like I'm setting myself up to get repeatedly rejected after online likes.

Very tiring business.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 4:09 am

hurtloam wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Ball wrote:

This is anecdotal evidence, buy the only time I made a dating profile was when I was feeling down and I wanted to see if I would get any likes/matches. I did, felt happy about it and deleted my profile.

I do not have the energy for online dating. I'm an introvert and taking guys on what are essentially romantic interviews just is too tiring for me. I'd have to be "on" because of course I care about what they think of me too. They're interviewing me too.

I would get matches, but in real life I rarely get second dates anyway, so it seems like I'm setting myself up to get repeatedly rejected after online likes.

Very tiring business.

Yeah I have heard extroverted girls enjoy the attention on dating sites.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 4:38 am

hurtloam wrote:
Rule Of Acquisition #151 :arrow: "Even when you're a customer, sell yourself".

I've known some introverted guys & women who found good relationships & partners online because they were able to meet other introverted people they would of very likely never met offline. Online dating can be even more essential for people who live in areas that majorly lack things for introverts like areas that lack parks, nature stuff, museums, libraries, bookstores & such. If you live in an area where there is not much besides social things for extroverts like bars, team sports, big churches, concerts, & major events, & you don't meet many people through your job, online dating may be a handy way to meet someone, especially if you don't care for the area & are willing to relocate 1ce a relationship got serious.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 1:14 pm

The last woman I dated from online is blocked, because:

1. She did not look in person what her profile indicated. Older, a lot older in fact. Her pics must be 5-10 years old. Or maybe it is all the drinking and drunken nights and only 3-4 years old. I notice drunks get ugly in the face, fast. Guys, you need to know, women never update their profile pics. What you see is what she looked like a long time ago.

2. She pushed the date-time back from 11 AM that we had agreed upon to 1 PM, THEN texted and complained just before, asking to push it back further to 1:30PM no doubt because she was hung over. THEN pushed it back to 2 PM, and even then, was late.

3. I had told her I was going to treat her to lunch, but she decided she needed a damn whole pizza to take leftovers for her night shift. Like I agreed to buy her two meals? Then she promised to pay for the pizza. Well, she didn't, instead she kept asking for more money once the bill came. All she paid was the tip.

4. She called me an old man over the phone (she is only 5y younger, give me a break)

5. She complained about how far away I am (50m), which she already knew about.

She said she wanted to just stay in touch ... too bad

Phone privileges, rescinded.

She can get back with her old beau, the unemployed twentysomething that lives with his momma. Together they can become welfare queens and live off the government

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 8:11 pm

^^ I think this illustrates a major problem with online dating,

Lots of dirt to dig through to to find a diamond in the rough

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
^^ I think this illustrates a major problem with online dating,

Lots of dirt to dig through to to find a diamond in the rough

Yeah I just decided to take it slow with the online dating. Next time not going to be so fast to suggest a date. I need to filter better, too much dirt is coming through.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:54 pm

I've never done dating PERIOD. I just dont like people. It's not that I'm Asexual, it's just that I think relationships and marriage is more trouble than it is worth in today's world.

♤ The Military

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 4:59 pm

King0fSpades wrote:
I've never done dating PERIOD. I just dont like people. It's not that I'm Asexual, it's just that I think relationships and marriage is more trouble than it is worth in today's world.
I'm kinda misanthropic these days & in general I tend to dislike hew-mons but there are exceptions. For example lots who are part of the WP community are good people. As much as I tend to dislike society at large, I would much rather be in a bad romantic relationship than be single. There's good & bad with everything & there seems to always be some kinda trade-off with anything in life. I never really done the dating thing either but I'm better at keeping a romantic relationship going 1ce a golden unicorn shows up & I'm lucky enough to be in a relationship. Maybe it helps that the people who I'd be a horrible match for think I'm too much of a loser to be worth their valuable time & affection & they won't even spit in my direction because they want to avoid even looking at me. The women that does leave are women I could make a romantic relationship & friendship work with if they were willing to give me a real chance.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2021, 4:57 pm

nick007 wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
I'm kinda misanthropic these days & in general I tend to dislike hew-mons but there are exceptions. For example lots who are part of the WP community are good people. As much as I tend to dislike society at large, I would much rather be in a bad romantic relationship than be single. There's good & bad with everything & there seems to always be some kinda trade-off with anything in life. I never really done the dating thing either but I'm better at keeping a romantic relationship going 1ce a golden unicorn shows up & I'm lucky enough to be in a relationship. Maybe it helps that the people who I'd be a horrible match for think I'm too much of a loser to be worth their valuable time & affection & they won't even spit in my direction because they want to avoid even looking at me. The women that does leave are women I could make a romantic relationship & friendship work with if they were willing to give me a real chance.

There are plenty of women on dating sites that are having a difficult time finding a man, too. So, give it another go would be my advice.

I am picky, I swipe left on about 90% of women, not based on appearances alone.