Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 7:28 pm

If you ask someone if they are seeing anyone, and they say "not currently", what does that mean? Why not just say I'm not seeing anyone.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 11:26 pm

You need to ask that to the people who used the expression, after all, nobody can actually read someone else's mind.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2021, 2:14 am

It might mean they already have their eye on somewhere and wish to chase that person instead, or it might mean they aren't seeing anyone and that's all there is to it.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 4:34 am

Maybe because it makes them sound less like someone who's chronically single?
Not currently suggests they're between relationships and you'd better move quick before they're snapped up?
Just guessing here.
Have no idea really. :shrug:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 4:41 am

Hi Raleigh. Hows things?

Not currently means they are available and usually implies that they were seeing someone but it did not work out so they are free again ready to date...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2021, 8:59 am

I would interpret it as meaning they're not seeing someone "currently--at this moment."

Which usually means the person had been "seeing someone" previously. But it might mean that the person has never "seen" someone.

Basically, it means that the person is not in a relationship at the moment, for whatever reason.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 9:34 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
If you ask someone if they are seeing anyone, and they say "not currently", what does that mean? Why not just say I'm not seeing anyone.

It might be a way of trying to hint that they are open to seeing you. Or they might be trying to hint something else, such as that they recently broke up with someone and need a break before pursuing another relationship. Without further conversation, you just don't know.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 7:37 am

I read this as they got the shaft but needed to keep their ego up. :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 7:56 am

It means ...not...currently. Lol!

Okay...sorry about the sarcasm.

But to answer the question of why they say it that way rather than just "no"...could be a number of explanations.

Maybe they think that you are about to invite them to a swinging party with lots of single hotties, so they want you to know that they are game to go.

Or maybe it could be self aggrandizement like saying "Im between jobs" rather than saying "Im unemployed" because it sounds better.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 8:45 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
It might be a way of trying to hint that they are open to seeing you.

That is how the phrase seems to be used in media (movies, TV), to hint interest, as in "I'm not seeing someone right now but I hope in a little while I can say that I'm seeing you."

Although I do think context would matter. If someone said it to an ex or someone who knew about the ex they would probably be making shade about their break-up. I've seen that use in media, as well.

What someone might mean in the real world, I have no idea. I haven't been in the dating world for decades. But I'd look to context for clues.