Have you been the "loose wheel" on a double date?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 10:13 am

You may have heard the expression "the 3rd wheel", or the "extra wheel" when you're in a situation where there's one other couple and just you, or multiple couples and just you. Which remains forever a point of semi-awkwardness in "NT culture".

NOTE: what I'm about to say is mostly Aspie male-oriented, but could also be for Aspie females.

So, what about what I call "the loose wheel" - when you're on a double-date with a friend and the girl he's paired up with, and they're getting on great, but you're not... or, to make things more upsetting - you find out your date has spoken with the others behind your back and asked "what's up with your friend - is he all right?" 8O :( :x

I can honestly say I've been "the loose wheel" more than once. And it was emotionally painful. But the thing was, I couldn't act out my frustrations or get angry, b/c then I'd likely lose that friend (as my reaction may very well f*** up his prospects with the young lady he was with).

One advantage I had was I always looked youthful, worked out, and had a good IT job...but still had "the quirks". So the NT friend I hung out with was more introverted, yet fairly socio-emotionally savvy, and he'd had a difficult childhood family-wise (which I did too). This was from the age of about 25-31, and we eventually parted ways. But anyways, on two occasions of an arranged double-date, I ended up being the loose wheel, which wasn't very fun. In one case, the girl I was paired up with was super-hot, like long blonde hair, big eyes, shapely... so I admit that I was a bit nervous, but didn't make any horrible overt mistakes.

Another time in the summer, with that same guy, we'd met two girls at a club who were in town visiting and staying at a hotel - my friend and the other one hit it off very well but mine was basically frosty... and when we got back to the hotel, I was in a really awkward situation where they had another (girl) friend sleeping in the bed b/c she wasn't feeling well and didn't go out with the other two...so I was stuck with the frosty one on the couch, while my buddy was banging the hot girl he had chemistry with, in the bathroom against the wall. I had to wait for him to be done so that he could drive me back home or I'd have to take a cab. And the cold girl had her legs curled up across the couch so as if to say " don't even think of sitting here" - even with my non-fluency in nonverbal, I KNEW what that meant.

So, yeah, awkward...being the "loose wheel"! !

But to my credit, on one occasion the year after, the situation was reversed - that was a BIG confidence booster :)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

Things like this is why I never got the big deal about double dating. I went with my two friends and my new gf was the loose wheel, but I had her back of course. But I guess it just happens sometimes.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm

I've been a loose wheel. Not so much on an actual double date, but on an outing with a friend and two girls he met. I knew the guy during college. He was a total player, or what the Red Pill community calls an alpha male. He had four regular FWB's and countless hookups. He was also very suave, and had scammed a few guys into lending him money and things, that he didn't pay back or return. But he treated me with some level of decency, so I was friends with him.

One evening, he called me and said he just met two girls, and invited me to come along. I didn't get why he'd invite a hideous monster (that's me) to hang out with girls, but I had nothing to do that night, so I said OK. We went to a bar, that had a dance floor and music playing. After a few drinks and get-to-know-you chit-chat, we hit the dance floor. We danced in partners. The girl dancing with my friend looked like she was on cloud nine. Her smile was a mile wide, and she was snuggling into him. While mine had a "Oh my god, ew, ew, ew! He's so ugly!" look on her face. Well, her mouth smiled, but her eyes gave it away. Mind you, I showered just hours earlier, wore nice clothes, and didn't hold her any closer than the standard partner dance position. Once I picked up on her body language, I stepped aside, so she could dance with my friend; her facial expression did a total 180 in seconds. Then I danced with my friend's original dance partner. She was better at hiding her disgust with me, but by then, I felt so self-conscious, that the dancing became awkward.

At the end of the night, he got full-body hugs from both girls, while I got polite handshakes. I downed 3 shots of vodka as soon as I got home, and went to bed feeling even more disgusted with myself than those girls did.

P.S.: The dancing and disgust became a nonissue once I became a regular in my city's dance community. There, women (and men) compartmentalize very well between romantic dancing and social dancing, and there are strict rules governing the latter.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 6:52 am

A friend I had once tried to set me up, I think. His girlfriend had a friend and they maybe thought she and I would hit it off. So we went out together and yeah, really didn't go well. I can't really function in bars and pubs (I hadn't worked this out at that age though) so I was almost mute, in complete shutdown and barely talked to the girl, who I'm sure was a perfectly lovely person. I left early and must have come across as a complete a-hole. They didn't bother trying to set me up again!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 5:13 am

No “loose wheel” for me.

I just fell in the street. Now I know how it feels to be a “loose wheel” falling from my wagon of a body :wink: