Mainstream Dating Apps Are A Waste Of Time For Average Men

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Muse933277
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 13 Mar 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 381

10 Sep 2021, 7:32 pm

As in average men, I mean if you're 5 or below. If you're a 5 or under, you shouldn't be using Tinder, Bumble, or any other mainstream dating app and here's why.

You get 3-5 photos, plus a short bio to convince a woman to swipe yes on you, of course online dating is going to be mostly about your physical appearance. You also have to remember that your average woman, even a girl who's a solid 5, has at least 100+ matches to choose from, so as a result, women are very picky. So if you're a 5 or below, especially combined with bad photos, you're not going to get very many matches and if you do, they'll mostly be unattractive women as well.

If you want to be successful on online dating, you should ideally be at least a 7/10. If you don't know where you stand, go on reddit to the rateme section and post a picture of yourself, people will be honest with you.

How to make yourself more attractive? A good haircut, consistent exercise, good diet, and wearing decent clothes, can take any man up a couple points, but at the end of the day, some people have more potential than others due to their genetics and facial features. If you find that you're still too ugly for Tinder, I wouldn't worry about it. There's plenty of average/ugly people who find someone.



XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,031
Location: The Oort Cloud

10 Sep 2021, 7:39 pm

Seems they're a waste for men in general.

The majority of people on dating apps are men, so I wouldn't advise pinning your hopes on them.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)


The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2015
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,351
Location: Australia

10 Sep 2021, 8:18 pm

I think it depends what you're trying to achieve, how you're going about it and what your expectations are.

A man who's average or below average looking probably isn't going to be "playing the field", or getting a variety of different matches.

That said, if what you're after is a monogamous relationship, you ultimately only need to worry about appealing to one person, and since dating apps increase your exposure to other people who are also looking to date, it's plausible that you could meet that one person through a dating app.

I think if you really want to be have any luck with online dating as an average or below average guy, you've got to put some solid effort into your pictures and profile. You'd also benefit from being cognizant of the fact that you're probably not going to get many matches, and most of the matches you do get are likely to be similar to or below your own level of attractiveness.

It can be brutal to swipe daily and get few or no matches, but if one can persevere, eventually finding someone is a possibility. It at least increases the chances of it happening relative to doing nothing.



Minervx_2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 22 May 2016
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 227

11 Sep 2021, 9:39 pm

Quote:
How to make yourself more attractive? A good haircut, consistent exercise, good diet, and wearing decent clothes, can take any man up a couple points


And one of the biggest factors: how good you are at taking and selecting pictures.

Online dating is very competitive for men. But most men take terrible pictures, so it's not too hard to stand out from most men if you put effort into your pics.


Common photo mistakes you see on 90-95%+ of male profiles:

1) Most/all pics are in their house or backyard. (Go out places. Have pics of you doing stuff)

2) A lot of their pics are selfies. (Have a friend/family member take pics or use a tripod stand)

3) Poor lighting. Their face isn't very well visible. Maybe they're being backlit by a brighter object in the background. Sometimes, half of their face is well lit while the other half isn't. (Best time to take pictures is golden hours: during sunrise and sunset)

4) Sunglasses. Eyes are a major part of attraction, why block that?

5) Group photos where it's not really clear who's who, or they're buried in the background behind their friends.

6) Some photos have a lot of empty space in the background, to the point where they're not the focal point. Cropping can help sometimes.

7) A bad first pic. A lot of people judge by the first pic. (1st pic should be a clear shot of your face)

8. They don't take enough pics. Pic taking is trial and error. You may need to take dozens of pictures to get 1 pic.

I've seen a lot of average guys who think it's because of their looks. When really, their pics sell themselves short. Before blaming things you can't control, like genetics, focus on the things you do have control over.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,790
Location: Seattle-ish

12 Sep 2021, 12:59 am

I've had good luck with them, but I photograph well and can write complete sentences with punctuation and everything, sometimes the general low quality of other men's profiles can be an advantage.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,080
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Sep 2021, 2:51 am

Muse933277 wrote:
As in average men, I mean if you're 5 or below. If you're a 5 or under, you shouldn't be using Tinder, Bumble, or any other mainstream dating app and here's why.

You get 3-5 photos, plus a short bio to convince a woman to swipe yes on you, of course online dating is going to be mostly about your physical appearance. You also have to remember that your average woman, even a girl who's a solid 5, has at least 100+ matches to choose from, so as a result, women are very picky. So if you're a 5 or below, especially combined with bad photos, you're not going to get very many matches and if you do, they'll mostly be unattractive women as well.

If you want to be successful on online dating, you should ideally be at least a 7/10. If you don't know where you stand, go on reddit to the rateme section and post a picture of yourself, people will be honest with you.

How to make yourself more attractive? A good haircut, consistent exercise, good diet, and wearing decent clothes, can take any man up a couple points, but at the end of the day, some people have more potential than others due to their genetics and facial features. If you find that you're still too ugly for Tinder, I wouldn't worry about it. There's plenty of average/ugly people who find someone.


Again about all these 5s to 10's what the hell does it even mean. I just don['t understand I have no idea what I am am I a 5 a 10 or below a 5 like I don't freaking know. I don't care much for make up so I don't wear it also do not care for shaving my body hair off..though I do like to trim it down a bit I just shower regularly and Idk I am satisfied with what I see in the mirror but yeah no idea what people who do the whole looks rating would rate me as. Like I say am I a 5, 10 or somewhere below or in the middle of those, but idk how people even determine those things so yeah I don't know if I look good or ugly. I mean regardless my boyfriend likes me and my body regardless of what number on the attractive scale those people would rate me as. So at the end of the day, to hell with it.

Also I feel like a lot of guys who obsess over their perceived facial deformities are just selling themselves short....like yo dude its just a pimple not the end of your life and all romantic chances.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,727
Location: wales

12 Sep 2021, 1:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I've had good luck with them, but I photograph well and can write complete sentences with punctuation and everything, sometimes the general low quality of other men's profiles can be an advantage.


I've had so so luck with them. People are interested in me but a lot of the people who are interested seem to want to be adopted.



Muse933277
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 13 Mar 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 381

12 Sep 2021, 8:34 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Again about all these 5s to 10's what the hell does it even mean. I just don['t understand I have no idea what I am am I a 5 a 10 or below a 5 like I don't freaking know.



If you have to ask, you're probably probably in the average range, so like a 4 to a 7.

If you're really attractive or really unattractive, you would know it. So if you don't know, you're probably average.



Muse933277
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 13 Mar 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 381

12 Sep 2021, 8:38 pm

Minervx_2 wrote:

Online dating is very competitive for men. But most men take terrible pictures, so it's not too hard to stand out from most men if you put effort into your pics.



Very true. I used to go on reddit where guys would send over their photos asking to rate their profile. Many times, the guy was complaining about getting very little matches and when I looked at the photos, it was a bunch of selfies, mirror selfies, standing in the living room in a dark room etc... A lot of guys DONT know how to take good photos, that's a part of the problem.



Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,901
Location: England

14 Sep 2021, 7:21 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
3) Poor lighting. Their face isn't very well visible. Maybe they're being backlit by a brighter object in the background. Sometimes, half of their face is well lit while the other half isn't. (Best time to take pictures is golden hours: during sunrise and sunset)

4) Sunglasses. Eyes are a major part of attraction, why block that?


Regarding the third point, there are ways of making the half-visible, half-hidden look work but generally speaking yes, I would avoid this as it can be tricky to get right. You can frame it to look theatrical / dramatic if the contrast is sharp enough and the area is balanced enough to avoid visual noise.

The main, most important part is to highlight your features. I definitely agree on the highlighting the eyes part, I remember how much this aspect was drilled into us when I was studying portrait photography, draw attention to the eyes. This goes for all kinds of eyes - blue, brown, green, hazel, whatever. I know that blue eyes are often hyped up, but brown, green or hazel eyes can also be quite beautiful.

Don't neglect hair colour either! If you have black or dark brown hair, then I would generally avoid dark backgrounds to avoid it fading from the foreground. Or, if you're blond(e), then make sure the lighting isn't too bright on the face! I'm a pale blonde and the most common mistake people made in my photography class (when we were using each other as practice subjects) was framing me under pale fluorescent lighting which I tend to look absolutely awful in. It made my already pale complexion look washed out, tired, and it was tricky to see my eyebrows. Always make sure your features are visible and clear (except for dramatic effect perhaps).

I know that others have used my portrait photography for their dating profiles before. Maybe I ought to start capitalising on this. I'm terrible at architecture photography, but I have somewhat of a knack for portraits.


_________________
22. Possibly B.A.P.