Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 12:39 pm

Personality or Looks?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 12:52 pm

I'm so enlightened every time I read this forum.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 1:00 pm

Looks first and foremost. That's the foot-in-the-door. The minimum qualification, or price of admission. After the passable looks requirement has been met, then personality becomes a factor.

If two potential mates are of equal looks, then personality can be a second criterion for selection. If two potential mates a nearly-equal, say one is "a little" better looking, and the other has a "better" personality, personality may be an advantage. But they still have to be within the same general looks ballpark.

But if you're too ugly to play ball, personality is meaningless.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 1:49 pm

Personality maybe 80% - looks 20%?

Looks are like the cherry on a pie, sweet & delicious, but not the main element.

If someone makes you feel like a hero & they are not what is considered typically 'attractive' - then they are already doing you a bigger favour than someone who simply admires you for your surface presentation.

As an analogy - you might enjoy the cherry on the pie and it is lightweight & easily digestible, but then you might find that the pie makes you feel a bit ill after consumption.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 2:14 pm

(•) Both.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 2:20 pm

Personality

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 4:47 pm

Looks 50%
Personality 50%

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 5:40 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Personality maybe 80% - looks 20%?

Looks are like the cherry on a pie, sweet & delicious, but not the main element.

If someone makes you feel like a hero & they are not what is considered typically 'attractive' - then they are already doing you a bigger favour than someone who simply admires you for your surface presentation.

As an analogy - you might enjoy the cherry on the pie and it is lightweight & easily digestible, but then you might find that the pie makes you feel a bit ill after consumption.

I would have to agree with this but maybe I would go 70/30 more so.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 7:51 pm

Looks are more important to me than personality.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:02 pm

If I went out with a good-looking woman with a personality I couldn't stand, we wouldn't last one date.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:36 pm

They're both important.

When we meet a potential dating partner for the first time, we tend to look at their physical appearance first to decide whether or not we would ever date or sleep with them. Unlike personality or emotional compatibility, it usually takes 3-5 seconds to determine whether or not we find someone physically appealing or not; so it's something that is usually determined very quickly. We either find someone attractive, neutral (neither attractive nor unattractive), or unattractive.

And if we find someone attractive (and sometimes neutral) only then will we take their personality and our compatibility with them into consideration. On the other hand, if we find someone unattractive from the get-go, we will never consider them potential romantic or sexual partners, no matter their personality. You can meet a girl with a good personality and common interests, but if you find her very unattractive, you'd probably never consider her a romantic or sexual partner.

So to answer your question, do looks or personality matter? They both matter.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:47 pm

Personally, I prefer both.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:50 pm

And because looks matter that's why a lot of young people are trying to looksmax as much as possible in order to increase their chances of finding a partner. I see a lot of young men going to the gym attempting to lose weight or bulk up, or getting a fresh haircut, and a lot of it is because these men are trying to improve their appearance to have greater success with women. Because in all honesty, a lot of women are picky when it comes to looks too. In fact in many cases, women are actually pickier than men are.

We are creatures that are designed to seek out love and companionship. We were never designed to be alone, that's why we have functioning sex drives that indirectly communicate to us to seek out the companionship of a romantic partner. To live without love is to live without one of the most iconic human experiences that you can have.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 8:56 pm

Personality and interests are more important to me, I've never been very picky about looks though I do prefer chubbier guys more than skinny guys.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 9:48 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Personality or Looks?

Both are important to me but I wont date a woman with a compatible personality if she is not attractive to me.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 9:52 pm

It's a lot easier to find an attractive woman than a woman who is compatible with me. So, while physical attraction is important, personality is the real criterion. Pretty girls are everywhere.