My gf seems to be bothered that I am 'white and privileged'.

Page 4 of 35 [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 8:11 pm

AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
You want to talk about privilege? Here it is. The only real "privilege" us "white people" get is the privilege to send Native Americans our tax money.

Funny, I seem to recall certain protesters being treated with kid gloves compared to how indigenous or black majority movements get treated, for just a single example.

Aside from skin color, how do various movements differ?

By responding, I'm simply giving you the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe everything I see on any news channel or on the internet. I think the facts/opinions we get of current events lacks enough context for anyone to form a reasonable, consistent idea of what's happening. We shape reality in our minds based on what we more/less want it to be. I don't like being sold a narrative.

They differ in terms of goals, some focus on civil rights or related concerns while others are organized by far-right extremists and don't demand any sort of substantial long-term change. I don't believe the issue is as simple as only being about race, but at the same time some of those who work forces...

Not just goals, but in their means of achieving them. If we accept the premise that all whites are racist, then the decline of the KKK is complicated by being driven underground or into legitimacy BY WHITE PEOPLE. In other words, their white supremacy is too much even for other white people. But it’s not their ideas that make being a Klansman a prosecutable offense, but their tendency towards violence, intimidation, and even murder. Are certain segments of the population, and it doesn’t necessarily need to be restricted to racial divisions, known to be culturally predisposed towards violence? For example—is it racist that Italian men are disproportionately locked up for organized crime because they happen to be associated with the Mafia? Or is it anti-Semitic to prosecute a Jew for running a Ponzi scheme? They make Ponzi schemes illegal because they know that only wealth Jews on Wall Street do that sort of thing. Therefore, we must legalize Ponzi schemes because laws forbidding them unfairly target Jews.

I tend to think this is absurd, and it’s not even parsimonious. It’s easier to explain that a minority within a minority is culturally violent than it is to say a hegemony is systemically racist and oppressive when reason demonstrates otherwise.

I mean, if you'd like to bury your head either in the sand or firmly in your own backside you can deny the existence of institutional and systemic racism but there's a reason those talking points only have credibility in circles that are notorious for their open racism.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:32 pm

Juliette wrote:
Reassure her that you care very much(if you do) that you wish everyone could live in harmony and be treated with the same level of respect as each the other. .

What if ironpony found the scenes on TV funny because the funny bits showed some disharmony? Are you asking him to lie? I think it would be more healthy for him to listen to his g/f and then having listened tell her why he laughed,

People grow as human beings together when they are open and truthful to one another, rather than compensating, sugar coating or pretending to keep the other half happy.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:43 pm

Precisely. This is why I wrote "If you do". No-one should ever "pretend" to be someone they're not or to express views that don't allign with how they truly feel. Life's too short to be living a lie.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 9:52 pm

On the flipside there are probably many long term relationships that thrive because both partners turn a blind eye to various things in the other partner that irritate them. So it also comes back to tolerance and whether the issues can be accommodated.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:01 pm

Very well put. With time and experience, we learn how best to keep relationships free from stress ... and we accomodate each other, out of love and respect.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:24 pm

We all have advantages and disadvantages in life. Lebron James is 6 ft 8 and naturally athletic which gave him an advantage in basketball. My sister is a hot blonde so this gave her an advantage in dating. Being black typically means your skin ages better which gives you an advantage when it comes to aging skin. Men are stronger, women live longer, etc...

The point is that everyone is privileged in certain aspects of life because like I said, everyone single one of us has advantages and disadvantages. All you can do is play with the cards you've been dealt and make the most out of it.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 11:16 pm

Dump her! Kick her out of your life, and don't take her back, ever! She sounds like of those "woke" women who will destroy your self-esteem and your sanity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 11:44 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Dump her! Kick her out of your life, and don't take her back, ever! She sounds like of those "woke" women who will destroy your self-esteem and your sanity.

Dude she is like young (half his age) and attractive and she really likes the OP. He shares things on this forum but they aren't really that serious enough to lose what he has with this girl.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 11:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Dude she is like young (half his age) and attractive and she really likes the OP. He shares things on this forum but they aren't really that serious enough to lose what he has with this girl.
Meh. I feel a mixture of admiration and compassion for the dude. His level of patience with women is 1000 times higher than my own. I just feel like he lets himself being taken advantage of, due to a combination of wanting to be a good person and misguided wokeness.

Still, I wouldn't waste a minute of my life with such a woman. The most precious thing a man has is his time, a concept I learned from the Red Pill. Time is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer your get to the end, the faster it rolls by, and it all goes down the toilet just the same. So no man should waste a second of his time with a woman who trashes him for something he was born as.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 11:58 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Meh. I feel a mixture of admiration and compassion for the dude. His level of patience with women is 1000 times higher than my own. I just feel like he lets himself being taken advantage of, due to a combination of wanting to be a good person and misguided wokeness.

Still, I wouldn't waste a minute of my life with such a woman. The most precious thing a man has is his time, a concept I learned from the Red Pill. Time is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer your get to the end, the faster it rolls by, and it all goes down the toilet just the same. So no man should waste a second of his time with a woman who trashes him for something he was born as.

Fair enough. You sound like a man on a mission.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 2:51 am

Aspie1 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well it's weird because she gets really passsionate and stubborn about things like this, but then she can go back to laughing and having a good time, and then making me laugh and things seem good. So I guess it's hard to know what to do since she can snap back and have a good time after.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 3:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I mean, if you'd like to bury your head either in the sand or firmly in your own backside you can deny the existence of institutional and systemic racism but there's a reason those talking points only have credibility in circles that are notorious for their open racism.

Violent protestors shouldn’t be arrested because they happen to be a certain race? Because arresting people who take part in destroying property and looting is unfairly targeting people who happen to be a certain color? Why can’t people just not destroy priperty?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 3:28 am

Well I also felt that her analogy might have been apples and oranges, because this trucker convoy in Canada has not become very violent so far, but also it seems much more huge and taken over a huge area compared to other protestors so maybe arrests are more difficult compared to other examples she would use?

But also, she says the truckers are all white as far as she can tell, but after watching some news footage, some of them look darker skinned for sure.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 3:38 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
You don't think NT privilege can be a genuine source of actual difficulty in a relationship???

I don't really do the whole privilege thing, too much of a blunt instrument that flattens people out into broad categories that usually don't jibe with individual experience.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 7:01 am

ironpony wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Well it's weird because she gets really passsionate and stubborn about things like this, but then she can go back to laughing and having a good time, and then making me laugh and things seem good. So I guess it's hard to know what to do since she can snap back and have a good time after.

I don’t think you should dump her. I think there’s some friction when it comes to certain aspects of your relationship, but that doesn’t have to be a dealbreaker. I only know that I’d rather not date outside my own culture. As long as you both know what you want, then there’s not much point in dwelling on it. If you think she’s being abusive to you, though, don’t waste time getting away.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 10:34 am

A female Generation-Z member of my wife's family agreed with me when I expressed the opinion that although "wokeism" is aguably bad, people who piss and moan about it all day are way worse.