Page 13 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 1:28 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well I do agree.Because I would not go out with a woman who was nice but was unattractive.Looks are a big part of the equation for me.I would only be completely compatible with someone who was nice and really attractive.

Let's wait for the outrage :lol:

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 3:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What happened to you, Aquaine?

You never spoke in these terms previously. You were just a regular guy who gave regular advice.

What happened? The regular guy doesn't work anymore. IRL and online most of the time anything I say might stick for about a few minutes and then *poof* it's as if I said nothing. I wanted to see if I actually said either something very progressive or very conservative would that make a difference. It did. You could say that this was a test on my part.

Let me tell you how I actually feel...I couldn't care less about a person's looks(to a degree at least, I gotta have some standards). Their personality and mannerisms is the main thing that matters to me and whether we get along or not. As far as women working or staying at home and all that extra stuff I could care less because that is their business and not mine. Now if I lead with that, doesn't that sound quite dull and boring? I will admit I do lean a bit more conservative and wouldn't mind being the person to go to work and the woman stays home but, I don't look at it as oppressive, archaic, or controlling, I just see it as me doing my duty to protect and provide for my family.

I am old-fashioned, and yes I know I took it too far with the act but, to see if this would be successful or not I had to play the part. I do apologize to any who I have offended. Sometimes though you have to take a tough road to see the truth about something. But, I will still say that while being likeable might keep a person, not having good looks still makes it harder for one to get a date even if you are a nice or sweet or [insert nice adjective here] person. I've pretty much been called a bunch of them to what amounted to nothing but empty platitudes.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 5:05 am

AquaineBay wrote:
The regular guy doesn't work anymore. IRL and online most of the time anything I say might stick for about a few minutes and then *poof* it's as if I said nothing.

Does that say something about the "regular guy," or about the audience, though? If we seek reaction, we live for others, and let ourselves wither away. This is the nature of the internet, and why so much of YouTube is shrill, shallow, and without content. Though, I do understand your desire in making such a test.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about a person's looks(to a degree at least, I gotta have some standards). Their personality and mannerisms is the main thing that matters to me and whether we get along or not. As far as women working or staying at home and all that extra stuff I could care less because that is their business and not mine. Now if I lead with that, doesn't that sound quite dull and boring?

It sounded stable and sane to me. If people find that boring, they probably don't know how to live. Though, if we live in a world of constant entertainment, and little reflection, decency will appear boring.

Quote:
I will admit I do lean a bit more conservative and wouldn't mind being the person to go to work and the woman stays home but, I don't look at it as oppressive, archaic, or controlling, I just see it as me doing my duty to protect and provide for my family.

Playing devil's advocate, I imagine those who would oppress don't necessarily see it as oppressive, archaic, or controlling, either. To them it is right. But, I agree, whatever arrangement works for the couple is their business. Though these are traditions of culture and not necessarily what we are made for.

Anyway, I'd rather be boring. Exciting people will certainly attract the wrong individuals.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 5:23 am

AquaineBay wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What happened to you, Aquaine?

You never spoke in these terms previously. You were just a regular guy who gave regular advice.

What happened? The regular guy doesn't work anymore. IRL and online most of the time anything I say might stick for about a few minutes and then *poof* it's as if I said nothing. I wanted to see if I actually said either something very progressive or very conservative would that make a difference. It did. You could say that this was a test on my part.

Let me tell you how I actually feel...I couldn't care less about a person's looks(to a degree at least, I gotta have some standards). Their personality and mannerisms is the main thing that matters to me and whether we get along or not. As far as women working or staying at home and all that extra stuff I could care less because that is their business and not mine. Now if I lead with that, doesn't that sound quite dull and boring? I will admit I do lean a bit more conservative and wouldn't mind being the person to go to work and the woman stays home but, I don't look at it as oppressive, archaic, or controlling, I just see it as me doing my duty to protect and provide for my family.

I am old-fashioned, and yes I know I took it too far with the act but, to see if this would be successful or not I had to play the part. I do apologize to any who I have offended. Sometimes though you have to take a tough road to see the truth about something. But, I will still say that while being likeable might keep a person, not having good looks still makes it harder for one to get a date even if you are a nice or sweet or [insert nice adjective here] person. I've pretty much been called a bunch of them to what amounted to nothing but empty platitudes.

So you were trolling to get some attention?

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 5:25 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:
I know of many muslim women in marriages where they're made to cook, clean, raise children AND have a paying job to bring some money in. The husband has just the ONE Job.

Surprised they haven't died from exhaustion.

That happens throughout the developing world, not just muslim.

She didn’t say that it didn’t.

However, it’s an especially big problem among those who adhere to the tenets of Islam, even liberally. Misogyny is a big issue, as Where_am_I knows from experience.

Thanks, Twilightprincess. I didn't think I needed to emphasise that point.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 5:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
However, it’s an especially big problem among those who adhere to the tenets of Islam, even liberally. Misogyny is a big issue, as Where_am_I knows from experience.

I think there are varying degrees but it's unfair to toss all muslim countries in the same bucket isn't it?

Should Muslim women who are allowed to drive, be grateful they're not in a Muslim country where it's forbidden?

Islam views women through the male gaze. That is problematic no matter how liberal a Muslim is.

By the way, I'm against ALL religions - not just Islam.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 5:49 am

Where_am_I wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I think there are varying degrees but it's unfair to toss all muslim countries in the same bucket isn't it?

Should Muslim women who are allowed to drive, be grateful they're not in a Muslim country where it's forbidden?

Islam views women through the male gaze. That is problematic no matter how liberal a Muslim is.

All religions do push a male patriarchy. God in written scriptures seems to push a male chauvanistic line when it comes to priests, mullahs and clergy. That should tell everyone something is wrong.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I don’t recall saying that all muslim countries are exactly the same. They are ALL problematic to varying degrees as far as women are concerned, though. Just because an individual’s (or country’s) interpretation of a belief system isn’t the most extreme version out there doesn’t mean that it isn’t harmful, abusive, and worth talking about.

I also don’t recall saying that misogyny doesn’t exist elsewhere. I was raised in a misogynistic Christian cult and am not a fan of religion in general, especially abrahamic ones because those are the ones I’m most familiar with. I’m an atheist.

Calling a spade a spade is perfectly fair. It’s not cool when political correctness is pushed to the point that one can’t acknowledge misogyny or, worse yet, specific reasons for it. Nothing, including religion, should be above scrutiny.

We don’t want to make comments that invalidate Where_am_I’s experiences as a former muslim. I’d find it triggering when people did the same thing to me.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 07 Aug 2022, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well I do agree.Because I would not go out with a woman who was nice but was unattractive.Looks are a big part of the equation for me.I would only be completely compatible with someone who was nice and really attractive.

Let's wait for the outrage :lol:

Do you have something of substance to say or are you just trolling?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:42 am

I wonder where is Where_am_I from and where is she (pun intended!)? She is the only ex-Muslim atheist I am aware of on this site other than myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:45 am

Don’t forget: there are many different types of “good looks.”

And amiability and the ability to not make everything into an argument. And an open personality in general. Enhances a person’s “looks.”

Brooke Shields might be a model….but she can get pretty ugly when she’s not in a good mood.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

All religions do push a male patriarchy. God in written scriptures seems to push a male chauvanistic line when it comes to priests, mullahs and clergy. That should tell everyone something is wrong.

Actually, if we apply Sharia law by the letter: if the woman is working, she has no ZERO obligation to spend any penny on the house and even on the kids; ZERO financial obligations - even if she leaves her kids starve to death she won't be held accountable to Sharia law. It's the man's duty only. She can keep all the money to herself.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

And amiability and the ability to not make everything into an argument. And an open personality in general. Enhances a person’s “looks.”

Brooke Shields might be a model….but she can get pretty ugly when she’s not in a good mood.

Yes, ladies!

Pretty is as pretty does. Make sure you are pleasant, agreeable, and always in a good mood so guys will find you pretty. :roll:

F that. I’m myself and if someone doesn’t like that that’s their problem.

(By the way, Brooke Shields is always pretty.)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:55 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, ladies!

Pretty is as pretty does. Make sure you are pleasant, agreeable, and always in a good mood so guys will find you pretty. :roll:

His post was totally gender-neutral.

You want to argue just for the sake of arguing only.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:58 am

Conversely, being good looking can lead to people thinking negative things of you (not just with relationships).

Discounting jealousy/envy. Say, if you're introverted, schizoid, autistic or whatever, people can think you're stuck-up, love yourself, and/or so on, which can lead to isolation and being an outcast if you don't behave as you should socially. You can also hurt people inadvertently. This is an entirely different experience compared to the good looking extroverted individual, and that will be where good looks come in handy and give artificial likeability. At the extreme end of likeability, the good looking narcissist is a sight to behold in winning almost everyone over (that's a real narcissist).

People can also avoid good looking people as partners no matter how willing and nice said good looking individuals are, as there can be several fears and/or issues there.

Like with many things, it's not as simple as it seems, and grass weeds green lawn other fence sides.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 7:59 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, ladies!

His post was totally gender-neutral.

You want to argue just for the sake arguing only.

I thought it was directed more towards women because it mentioned Brooke Shields.

Stating my opinion is not arguing. I’m free to do that.

People of both genders can be in bad moods without being “ugly.”

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 07 Aug 2022, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.