Autism - "different" or "inferior" WRT relationships?

Page 3 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:12 pm

Semantics can be very important.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I stated that having autism does not make one “inferior” as you claimed.

You said: “Bring inferior doesn’t mean unable” and “a developmental disorder puts people at a disadvantage and makes them inferior when it comes to most things social in nature.”

I am 5’3, I am naturally innately inferior for basketball, sure some 5’3s could become great basketball players with skill and super heroic effort. Einstein was innately intellectually superior, he was probably inferior in other areas.

The use of the word « inferior » should not be politically incorrect, it is truth, we are all innately inferior or superior in this and that area.
You are just nitpicking words and choosing to be offended and stiring up fights…. over semantics.

The word "inferior" is brilliant as it gets right to the point.

The word "difference" or "divergent" is idiotic as it can mean literally anything but of course, that's what people intend when they use such terms because it affords a huge amount of vagueness where they can waffle out whatever contradictory BS they like and still never be "wrong".

Why mention "underdevelopment" when you can say "difference" and start out whatever invalidating arguments you like as a result, insulting plenty of autistics along the way.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:16 pm

The « under » part of the word underdevelopment does indeed refer to «below », « not to the level »,….. aka « inferior ».

Most of you are native english speakers I assume so you should know better, this is basic english.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:19 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The « under » part of underdevelopment does indeed refer to «below », « not to the level »,….. aka « inferior ».

Most of you are native english speakers I assume so you should know better, this is basic english.

They do know better but they prefer the word "difference" because it muddies the water perfectly and allows them to argue with everyone again about their favourite subject.

Nobody can ever be wrong if it's just a "difference" after all right? A difference covers every single conceivable rambling they can think of.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:21 pm

As a special education teacher, I would never refer to my students or their ability level as “inferior.” Individual students may struggle in specific areas, as people on the spectrum might, but I avoid that sort of denigrating language.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:21 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The « under » part of underdevelopment does indeed refer to «below », « not to the level »,….. aka « inferior ».

That's why I said we are underdeveloped in areas which aren't necessarily desirable.
That was written in basic English too, along with a request that people stop spamming TGI's thread.

Just because the other L&D thread is locked, it doesn't mean TGI needs this negativity in his.

Could you please stop spamming his thread and make your own anti-autism thread, please?
Better still, I've heard there are specific sites for people who want to insult and demean us.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's why I said we are underdeveloped in areas which aren't necessarily desirable.
That was written in basic English too, along with a request that people stop spamming TGI's thread.

Just because the other L&D thread is locked, it doesn't mean TGI needs this negativity in his.

Could you please stop spamming his thread and make your own anti-autism thread, please?
Better still, I've heard there are specific sites for people who want to insult and demean us.

Ironic post.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:33 pm

Nades wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

They do know better but they prefer the word "difference" because it muddies the water perfectly and allows them to argue with everyone again about their favourite subject.

Nobody can ever be wrong if it's just a "difference" after all right? A difference covers every single conceivable rambling they can think of.

Besides, let’s face it, autistics are barely about 1% of world population.
If the the lack of communication/social skills is seen as inferior as social construct by the majority of humans, that still makes it inferiority… or if you prefer the other more PC word underdeveloped (underdevelopment in social/communication aspect, TW, not as overall human value!!).
After all, psychiatry is not much of a hard science like other fields of medical fields; in psychiatry the symptoms = the condition; while in other medical fields the symptoms are signs of a condition, but the condition can only br proven by an organic test (ie. blood test, brain scan… etc).
To this day, there’s no such organic test to prove Autism/AS in any person yet, like many other mental conditions such as OCD and depression, …. they base the diagnosis on symptoms and on a diagnosis criteria, and each criteria in the diagnosis criteria is often something in comparison to the general population (trait X id less or more severe than in general population.

Rett Syndrome for instance was a DSM diagnosis, but after biologist discovered its molecular cause it was removed from DSM and became a real neurologic/genetic diagnosis instead.

The DSM is like a basket of all mental conditions which the exact genetic/organic causes are NOT known.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 18 Feb 2023, 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:35 pm

It is very true that every person is inferior in some ways to other people, and superior in some ways to other people.

I wish I could sing opera!

Rett Syndrome still is in the DSM, but not considered part of the Spectrum any longer. It is conceded that autism and Rett are closely related, though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is very true that every person is inferior in some ways to other people, and superior in some ways to other people.

I wish I could sing opera!

Rett Syndrome still is in the DSM, but not considered part of the Spectrum any longer. It is conceded that autism and Rett are closely related, though.

No, look it up, it was removed in DSM5.

I wish Autism will be removed from it once day, that would mean that the exact mutation causing it is discovered.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:40 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Nades wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Besides, let’s face it, autistics are barely about 1% of world population.
If the the lack of communication/social skills is seen as inferior as social construct by the majority of humans, that still makes it inferiority… or if you prefer the other more PC word underdeveloped (underdevelopment in social/communication aspect, TW, not as overall human value!!).
After all, psychiatry is not much of a hard science like other fields of medicines; in psychiatry the symptoms = the condition; while in other medical fields the symptoms are signs of a condition, but the condition can only br proven by an organic test (ie. blood test, brain scan… etc).
To this day, there’s no such organic test to prove Autism/AS in any person yet, like many other mental conditions such as OCD and depression, …. they base the diagnosis on symptoms and on a diagnosis criteria, and each criteria in the diagnosis criteria is often something in comparison to the general population (trait X id less or more severe than in general population.

Rett Syndrome for instance was a DSM criteria, but after biologist discovered its molecular cause it was removed from DSM and became a real neurologic/genetic diagnosis instead.

The DSM is like a basket of all mental conditions which the exact genetic causes are NOT known.

Shhhhhh, you're talking too much common sense. It's bad around here.

It's a "difference" on WP so people can say autism is actually superior social skills which clearly means autistics who have trouble with social interactions and suffering from the fallout are just dirty little liars.

But yeah. Admitting problems that autism cause is a way of ruling out what strengths certainly are not possessed.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:46 pm

I see Psychiatry as a medical field which is still way way behind other medical fields, it is like still stuck in 20th century (lobotomy and ECT weren’t long ago), it still has a long way to catch up.
We would still see psychiatrists because for some conditions, there’s no other better choice.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 18 Feb 2023, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
klanka wrote:
Yeah the truth about autism is sugar coated in the famous books and tv shows.

Quote:
We are hard working and tend to get highly-skilled jobs

I'm easily capable of working in a highly skilled field but the interview process requires soft-skills that I don't possess.
so I can't get the job.

But that's another topic really.

Inferior may sound harsh but my social skills are clearly inferior to most.

If your social skills are "inferior" it's because you can't lie, or answer interview questions with BS like NTs do.
You can't make the correct / fake facial expressions on cue.
You aren't an actor or a trained monkey, saying what the people want to hear.
Chances are you're honest and straight-forward.
You say what you mean, and mean what you say.

This makes many NTs uncomfortable, because they don't want to be called out.
That's why they label and marginalise us as disabled.
They know we'll see through their BS.

They invent these diagnostic categories to make it seem like we're the problem.
If they call us "disabled" it makes it sound like they're right, and we're wrong.
It helps boost their ego.
They're the ones with pathological problems like lying and deception, or being fake.

Bad interviewing doesn't mean you wouldn't be a hard-working, dependable employee in the right job.

I wouldn't want to be hired or considered "normal" using any set of NT standards.

If we only focus on so-called defecits, we're ignoring the strengths inherent to autism.

I think you're right actually. I have known some autistic people who seemed very brutally honest and I might come off the same way.

Well I still consider it to be a disability due to my experiences in life being very negative, but there's truth to what you say.

Last edited by klanka on 18 Feb 2023, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:48 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I see Psychiatry as a medical field which is still way way behind other medical fields, it is like still in 20th century, it still has a long way to catch up.
We would still see psychiatrists because for some conditions, there’s no other better choice.

The whole field is literally taking one group of people and pitting them against another to look for variations. It's as primitive as it gets.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:49 pm

Yep….they took it out of the DSM for some reason. It deserves to be there, even if it’s not an ASD.

I feel autism is more like “autisms.” There are many different causes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:53 pm

Nades wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I see Psychiatry as a medical field which is still way way behind other medical fields, it is like still in 20th century, it still has a long way to catch up.

The whole field is literally taking one group of people and pitting them against another to look for variations. It's as primitive as it gets.

Even the honesty part Issy is talking about is based on that kind of pitting and observation; there’s no genetic/organic proof that we are innately superior in honesty.
It is all… based on observation, that’s the whole psychiatry field is based on mostly.